Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder - The UnConvertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:33 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 987 Spyder - The UnConvertible

I've had the 2011 Spyder for about 10 weeks now and am absolutely besotted with the car. I did not fully appreciate what has now become the car's best feature: it is the convertible for people who do not like convertibles. After lots of convertibles and 40+ years under the SC sun, top down driving has lost its attraction - something to do with pan-frying my brains in the summer sun. But with the 987 Spyder, you can have the best of both worlds. Just unsnap the rear window section from the top, lower both windows, and leave the flying-buttressed sun shield in place. You still get all the noise, the winds blowing through the cockpit, and partake of the smells in the air (some good, some not) - but with most of the renewable energy beating down from above absent.

I almost feel sorry for the 981 Spyder folks () who, when all is said and done, have a mostly conventional top - just undo a few latches, and flip the top so that it all just disappears. Unlike us 987 Spyder folks who have to refer to a laminated cheat card with a dozen plus steps to put the top down, and another dozen plus steps to put the top up. Or we can keep only the sun shield in position and just rocket away!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one and loved it. The top was a nightmare. I live in Texas and rain can sometimes come unannounced. 10 minutes for th top up or down is simply too much. Now with the 981 Spyder. I do it in less than an minute or so.
I think either cars are awesome thought the 981 finally has a proper engine
Old 05-08-2016, 09:23 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fadi1
I had one and loved it. The top was a nightmare. I live in Texas and rain can sometimes come unannounced. 10 minutes for th top up or down is simply too much. Now with the 981 Spyder. I do it in less than an minute or so.
I think either cars are awesome thought the 981 finally has a proper engine
I like to sum up the 981 spyder as losing the look and usability of the 2 piece 987 top, but gain that awesome power plant. Regarding down pours with the 987 back window removed, you can actually drive with the windows up and water will not come in--ask me how I know...
Old 05-09-2016, 12:26 AM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike
I agree with you completely. The 987 Spyder is a Porsche masterpiece. The 981 "sequel" is a fine automobile, it is faster and has a dumbed down top, and it seems that a bunch of folks have eagerly forked over the 100K price of admission. Time will certainly tell, but my bet is that the original will be considered the true classic. Having been fortunate to drive and owned many P-cars on street and track it is my opinion that the 987 Spyder is one of the most beautiful and satisfying rides of them all.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 AM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The sunroof is indeed a unique feature only to be found on the 987 spyder....

And on the softwindow targa if i am correct
Old 05-09-2016, 09:08 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I'll take one of each please.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:05 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the 987 is one of the prettiest porsche cars ever. in a world of just slightly different 911's this car stands out in looks. It is also PERFECTLY balanced for road use. Tight small and darty. You feel like you need more power, just put some nice software in for 93 octane. In the end the new engine is great, but I dont consider the 981 a spyder at all. Its a convertible without a motor for the top. Driving around with only the canopy top is the way to roll. A true future classic, just needs to be optioned right.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:36 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cgt04115
I think the 987 is one of the prettiest porsche cars ever. in a world of just slightly different 911's this car stands out in looks. It is also PERFECTLY balanced for road use. Tight small and darty. Driving around with only the canopy top is the way to roll. A true future classic, just needs to be optioned right.

Stick shift and carbon fiber buckets...
Old 05-09-2016, 04:35 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

And PSE and aircon

And the right color of course....

I love driving with the sunroof only, hardly ever use the back curtain which also makes the top a lot easier to fit. A true spyder imho
Old 05-09-2016, 05:45 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

I feel exactly the same way about the top, I honestly don't enjoy the car as much with the top off as I do with just the overhead canopy on. I don't know if that was by design or just a lucky accident from Porsche, but its truly brilliant.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm digging all the 987 Spyder love shining through in this thread!

I just hope one day to have the chance to get behind the wheel of one.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:10 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I need to experiment more with my 987 Spyder with just the canopy up. Love the top down experience but of course one is limited to nice weather and short drives if you want to avoid exposure.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:25 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I am smitten, and I haven't driven one yet. I'm seriously considering one. I like the white, but the car looks just right in silver too. I would certainly want a low spec example. Buckets, 6 speed a must. AC probably and maybe sport exhaust too. The rest is fine in minimalist trim. Keep the love coming as it adds fuel to the fire.

I'm reading everything I can get my hands on and watching every video I can locate. I have an 04 GT3 that I will def keep, but want another, very different car to enjoy on the street. If there are any other sources of reading, viewing material out there I should enjoy, please point me there.

It's incredible how often I hear..."this is the best car I have ever driven"... I love the learning curve.

Many Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtF
Mike
I agree with you completely. The 987 Spyder is a Porsche masterpiece. The 981 "sequel" is a fine automobile, it is faster and has a dumbed down top, and it seems that a bunch of folks have eagerly forked over the 100K price of admission. Time will certainly tell, but my bet is that the original will be considered the true classic. Having been fortunate to drive and owned many P-cars on street and track it is my opinion that the 987 Spyder is one of the most beautiful and satisfying rides of them all.
How is a less cumbersome more functional top dumbed down? If you ask me the 987 Spyder has the dumbed down top. I wanted to buy one but I could not deal with that two piece top and was shocked Porsche would actually release a production car with that nonsensical top. My air cooled Targa built 25 years earlier had an easier top

As far as collectibility, I'd grab an MT F430. with that said If either car does become collectable my bet would be on the last special edition open top Porsche with a Carrera S 3.8L engine. But that's me. Having a top that isn't akin to pitching a tent helps too.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it is one of the only convertibles ever made that looks as good, if not better, with the top on vs. off. I can have the sunroof off or on in 3 min. Have used the back panel only a handful of times. Love this car!!!

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder - The UnConvertible