Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

63A 981510

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:51 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow chalk is pretty close to your color. I need to go see it in person at the dealer.
Love the model, was the cost reasonable? Would love to get one
Old 04-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Bought another Spyder!!!
1:18 Scale Replica of my PTS 981 Spyder!
How cool is that?! And I'm guessing the stitching around the base of the model matches your deviated stitching in your Spyder. Great detail -- well done
Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,604 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I agree Donovan, the Spyder is the perfect package and after the recent concours and drive I was left scratching my head at why I would want to make a change.

I may go the other direction and add a less expensive toy to the stable that I would be ok with taking to the track like a Miata.

That's a great replica by the way, I may have to do the same at some point!
I'm looking forward to doing my first Concours at the Porsche Parade this Summer. Do you have any suggestions or tips? Going in blind.

Excited to get the replica model. Hopefully it is as good as it looks from the photos.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:15 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Wow chalk is pretty close to your color. I need to go see it in person at the dealer.
Love the model, was the cost reasonable? Would love to get one
Yeah Chalk looks nice.
Model price depends on what you choose. Mine was 605 euros shipped. Most I've paid for a model, but considering it is built exactly like my real one... I justified it... especially for those hibernation months.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:16 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
How cool is that?! And I'm guessing the stitching around the base of the model matches your deviated stitching in your Spyder. Great detail -- well done
Yup... matching stitching.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:43 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Bought a Mavic Pro!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:57 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I love my GT Silver, but every time I see pictures of your car I somewhat regret not going PTS.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm looking forward to doing my first Concours at the Porsche Parade this Summer. Do you have any suggestions or tips? Going in blind.

Excited to get the replica model. Hopefully it is as good as it looks from the photos.
Somehow I missed this post. Prepping for a concours is basically taking the time to bring every aspect of the car back to how it would have been delivered from the factory. Since your car is relatively new it shouldn't be difficult, just cleaning really.

When it comes to cleaning my advice is to divide the car into sections. For example I typically start with the interior and I clean every area including the seat rails, under the seats, air vents etc. Having a boars hair brush for vents and areas you can't reach with a microfiber is a must. If the seat rails have grease on them make sure the grease is fresh.

I usually do the door jambs at the same time and again you need to clean latches and mechanisms so they're clean. Use fresh grease if needed otherwise leave it alone.

Once the inside is done I button it up and try to keep the doors closed. I think move to the front storage and take trim of and clean up as needed. Anywhere a finger can reach into needs to be wiped down.

Finally I do the exterior last. I have been very careful with my paint and have only had to polish it once. If you adhere to proper maintenance the prep of the paint is the easiest part, just a wipe down and wax if you want to.

The wheels and wheel wells should be thoroughly cleaned, best to take the wheel off and clean each area. I don't use harsh cleaners here, I just use detail spray and 303. Detail spray for painted surfaces and brake lines and 303 for any plastic trim.

Attention to detail is key.

If you have any specific questions let me know.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Bought a Mavic Pro!
Cool!

I know nothing about drones. How steep is the learning curve to use one? No brainer or requires a fair amount of time and effort?

Judging from your pics it looks like you've already got the hang of it.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:37 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Afshin,
Thanks for the advice/recommendations! apologies for the delayed thanks you. What about paint protection? I have Xpel on my complete front and rockers and rear fenders. How do they judge this? Does it affect judging?
Old 05-09-2017, 02:43 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Cool!

I know nothing about drones. How steep is the learning curve to use one? No brainer or requires a fair amount of time and effort?

Judging from your pics it looks like you've already got the hang of it.
Still learning... A little nerve racking at times but totally fun experience. I need to fine tune my settings as it is ultra sensitive control wise. Crazy how good the quality is too. We recently bought a Hymer Aktiv camper and we wanted a fun toy to document our trips. Plus when I have time, I want to play with car more.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:48 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Afshin,
Thanks for the advice/recommendations! apologies for the delayed thanks you. What about paint protection? I have Xpel on my complete front and rockers and rear fenders. How do they judge this? Does it affect judging?
PPF will not affect the judging unless it's in poor condition. I would make sure there's no wax along the edges and it is clean.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
PPF will not affect the judging unless it's in poor condition. I would make sure there's no wax along the edges and it is clean.
awesome. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:18 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Wanted to write about my experience at the Porsche Parade in Spokane.

This was the first time my Wife and I have attended a Parade. Bought a Futura Tandem Trailer to tow behind our camper/small RV (Hymer Aktiv). Love the trailer as it is ultra light and doesn't require ramps. We drove up from Oregon to Bellevue to drop off our dogs with the inlaws.

We decided to stay up in a RV site outside of Spokane called Alderwood. Nice place as they had pull thru sites all paved! This was our set up for the week:

We arrived late Saturday and once all set up on Sunday we headed down to the Davenport Concours Prep area in the lower garage. It was nice as it was cooler underground with near 100 degree temps outside. Finally got to meet Eduardo and a few other Rennlisters. Unloaded the Spyder and brought my detailing items supplies down. Great to detail and hang out with the others prepping. James and Jim gave me some great tips as this was my first Concours. I spent the prior Holiday weekend prepping the car back home... Focused on the interior, underside, suspension and engine and light detail on the exterior. To my surprise the car travels pretty good on the trailer... I was expecting more dirt/debris with it being exposed, but I think the deflector and camper help a ton. We ended up detailing for roughly 10 hours in the garage.

The next morning we had to leave at 5 AM as we were in the first group for staging at the park. Bob (heading up the concours) asked if I could have my car in front of the Porsche Boxster display being the anniversary and such. I felt honored to do so. Only drawback and blessing was we were under a tree... great for shade, bad for keeping the car clean for judging. At the end I took first place in my class (PP14 Full). I won by default as the only entry for Full. I scored 243.8 points out of 245... Not bad for my first Concours event.

The Concours was a full day event. During it, PCA interviewed the CEO of Porsche, where at the end Eduardo was keen to ask him whether or not the 982 Spyder will be Turbo or NA. By the end I was exhausted.

The next day was planned for recovery, we were planning on attending the two Porsche seminars and the Concours Banquet. By noon, Bob emailed me asking if I could bring my Spyder to the Banquet to showcase it inside the Convention Center. Again, I was super honored. We brought the Spyder over and I did a detail over the car.

It was fun driving through the Convention Center… not very often you get the chance to drive a car indoors on carpet.

We attended the Banquet and I managed to see Grant Larson, the designer responsible for both generations of Spyder (987.2 and 981). I wanted to introduce myself, but didn’t want to interrupt his conversation with another Spyder owner. Also, pretty cool to see Wolfgang Porsche present some of the awards that night.

The next day, Wednesday, we ended up attending the seminar around the development of the Boxster by Grant. It was pretty cool as he was sketching live via a overhead projector. Being a designer, I was way impressed with his ability to draw with everyone watching. He even commented how it was a designers worst environment to work with people watching over your shoulder.

At the end PCA has two different prints of Larson’s work for him to sign (981 Spyder and the 991 Targa).

After he was done, I was privileged enough to get him to sign my Spyder! My wife took video and I took pics to document the event. This was the highlight of the trip for me!

The next day we did the wine tour down to Prosser, Washington.

Then our last full day was on the driving tour/boat ride on Lake Coeur d’Alene. Such a beautiful lake!

We left Saturday morning headed back to Bellevue to pick up our dogs. We stopped at the viewpoint overlooking the Columbia Gorge:

Prior to heading back to Oregon, I met with Amar and we did a quick photo shoot with our cars:

The whole trip was a amazing first time experience! Couldn’t have gone any better. Looking forward to the next Porsche event in Kirkland, Washington. Glad to meet everyone I did while there from here. I was originally planning on attending Monterey, but with the eclipse in Oregon that following Monday, I am going to postpone until next year. Can’t miss the full eclipse… once and a lifetime event!
Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Really considering Stripes... what does everyone think? I have been on the fence about them... but after seeing a few GT4's with them at the Parade, I'm definitely sway towards doing them. Here are some pics of some PTS Spyders in Europe:

Quick Reply: 63A 981510