Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Spyder vs GTS as Daily Driver

Old 05-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Boxster Spyder vs GTS as Daily Driver

I have a GT4 on order (July delivery). Currently drive a Boxster GTS as daily driver. Keep looking at 981 Spyders to swap with BGTS as my daily driver. Plus the Spyder is better looking and could be collectible some day. I owned previous gen Spyder and roof got old. Am I crazy to consider swapping out BGTS for a Spyder as my DD? There aren't many Spyders left with LWB but thinking that might not make sense for a DD anyway so I've been looking at ones with 18-way seats. Might be better to keep fully loaded BGTS and have GT4 as a nice complement (with LWBs). Any thoughts or advice from anyone?

Thanks (in advance)!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

I just swapped out my 981S for a Spyder with LWBS. I'd say it really depends on your temperament.

My journey into Porscheland started in college with a used air cooled 911 Carrera Targa so Porsches have been my primary car for my whole life and they've always been a sacrifice comfort wise. Until the 981S. GTS wasn't out yet when I bought it. Honestly, with PDK, Heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, PASM and a host of other options the 981 was a cush as a Bently afaic. Remarkable considering how taught nimble and precise that car is. Up until the Spyder, I would say it's the best car I've owned.

Which brings me to the Spdyer. I don't need a car for a daily commute so keep that in mind but the Spyder is my primary driver.

Seating:
Sure the LWBS are an exercise to get in and out of but they are incredibly comfortable once youre seated. More comfortable than the 14ws in my 981S.

Convertible Top
The top is a pita compared to the amazing auto top in the 981S but it's no more difficult then the accordion targa top I spent 5 years putting on and off. Top up, I don't percieve much of difference in ambient noise. (Actually my 981S had an annoying whistle past 80 which the Spdyer thankfully does not share). Neither are Lexus quiet that's for sure but I'd have no problem spending 5 hours with the top up in either. plus the Spyder engine drowns out any wind noise anyway.

Suspension
The modded X73 is surprisingly compliant while remaining taught and damped. Surprisingly, it's not a lot different driving around then my the PASM I had in sport mode. Also the Spyder seems to bottom out less than my 981S despite being lower. Both cars have 20" rims so maybe the stiffer spring rates help over bumps and stuff or maybe I'm more carful with the Spyder.

All in all, With the exception of snow, which was a no go for about every Porsche I owned without snow tires, the Spyder is a great daily driver, well it is for me. No, it's not as luxe as my 981S but when you've owned Porsches that have had no power steering, barely effective climate and defrost functions, lousy wipers, it still feels pretty luxurious all things considered. There's even a button to turn down that lovely flat 6 symphony if you wanna turn up the Bose and cruise along at 55 in 6th. But it that case, why own a Porsche at all.

Last edited by Underblu; 05-02-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:30 AM
SMLaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last November I trade a "loaded" BGTS (Burmeister, 18 way, full leather, PLDS plus etc.) for a Spyder much less appointed. Both cars were and are a DD...I have never once regretted that decision. Agree w Underblue re: inclimate weather, but as he said that holds true for all my Porsches.

Do it if you can find one you like.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Fadi1
Pro

i have a Spyder and would say: get it! I love mine. It's so engaging good looking and sounds glorious. I used to occasionally DD my GT3. Not since I got th Spyder. Besides the GT4 that you're getting is very much different than the Spyder
Old 05-02-2016, 01:08 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Everyone's comments are right on. Spyder is a great DD! The top is a cinch to operate. In Dallas, you probably wouldn't have to put it up! When you have to park in the hot sun for a period of time, you don't need to fully latch it. just pull it up, leave the fins detached (attached to top) and windows cracked open by a couple of inches; when you return, just bring the top down. As easy as a Miata's top! When home, the top stays down.

I drive the Spyder everyday, when not riding a motorcycle. If I had a second Spyder, I would drive one in winter, with Nokian R2 winter tires! During the rainy days, I drive the S2000. I would vote to dump the GTS and get the Sypder. You will be happy! :-)
Old 05-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

My only resistance to suggesting it as a daily driver is that it would be a shame to use any miles on a Spyder on mundane driving like commuting. These are such special cars, I feel like every mile you put on one should be pleasure driving. This car is so awesome, I want to pick up a second one and put it in storage just in case something happens to mine.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:43 PM
rsixx6
Advanced

How often do you run the AC down in Dallas? I'm currently in town and it appears with drier climates evening and morning cruises may never require it?

Originally Posted by the_rider
Everyone's comments are right on. Spyder is a great DD! The top is a cinch to operate. In Dallas, you probably wouldn't have to put it up! When you have to park in the hot sun for a period of time, you don't need to fully latch it. just pull it up, leave the fins detached (attached to top) and windows cracked open by a couple of inches; when you return, just bring the top down. As easy as a Miata's top! When home, the top stays down.

I drive the Spyder everyday, when not riding a motorcycle. If I had a second Spyder, I would drive one in winter, with Nokian R2 winter tires! During the rainy days, I drive the S2000. I would vote to dump the GTS and get the Sypder. You will be happy! :-)
Old 05-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Since I drive the Boxster GTS all the time and love to have the top down as much as possible, I do use the AC quite a bit during the middle of the day. Works very well! But I'm with you, not much during the morning/evening.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Ok - one other question for the group - if this is my DD - LWB or 18-ways? It's kind of a loaded question because I'm not finding many with LWBs so if I want a Spyder it will have to be 18-ways (like my current seats). Not sure I want buckets for DD, but also have LWBs coming on my GT4.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:43 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you care about resale or "collectibility", LWBs.

LWBs are great and make the car feel much more special, look great etc. Never ending fun to watch wife and other passengers fall in

I agree that the one issue with the Spyder as a DD is that it feels like a caged tiger in daily traffic. I tend to drive mine mostly on weekends.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:55 PM
rsixx6
Advanced

I concur. I bought my 987.2 Spyder in mind that it was never a car intended to deal with traffic and only for comfortable weather, thus AC delete. Never understood the want to drive at 90+ or below 55. Not like this is going to be someone's only car. Anyway, never would have thought it was going to take this much effort to sell a LWB spyder with a manual.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have spyder w lwb great once your in but not so much for running errands
My other Pcar has 18 way Which I would say better choice for DD

And to echo arch comments I too am thinking about buying another just bc the car is that awesome but not sure where I would put it looking into a second lift
Better hurry if you are going to pull the trigger I see about 60 cars on cars.com / autotrader
But sure if they are all truly for sale
Old 05-02-2016, 04:18 PM
jehu999
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rsixx6
I concur. I bought my 987.2 Spyder in mind that it was never a car intended to deal with traffic and only for comfortable weather, thus AC delete. Never understood the want to drive at 90+ or below 55. Not like this is going to be someone's only car. Anyway, never would have thought it was going to take this much effort to sell a LWB spyder with a manual.

When you live in Florida, AC is a must. Your car was just what I wanted except the AC delete. I understand your comment but I planned on using your car as an alternate DD.

For anyone looking for low mileage, very clean '12 Spyder with LWBS minus the AC, check this car out. PM me if you want. The only affiliation I have is that I love this car and came extremely close to buying it (literally was arranging shipping) until I found out it didn't have AC. Rick and Ardy worked hard to make it happen and while I didn't meet them, they seemed like good solid car guys
Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 PM
SMLaker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dallas991
Ok - one other question for the group - if this is my DD - LWB or 18-ways? It's kind of a loaded question because I'm not finding many with LWBs so if I want a Spyder it will have to be 18-ways (like my current seats). Not sure I want buckets for DD, but also have LWBs coming on my GT4.
18way without a doubt, best seat made for DD.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 PM
SMLaker
Instructor

Here was my out with the old and in with the new pic....
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder vs GTS as Daily Driver