Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 boxster or 2015 981 gts

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I am waiting to get car shipped. The more reviews of the 718 that surface, the more I am pleased with my decision.

All thanks to the guys on Rennlist!! You guys tipped the scale
Old 07-07-2016, 09:27 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Default Update

Well....4000kms later
Rest assured I have made a great decision. The B GTS has been a great daily driver. The black paint is a chore but looks the best right after a wash.
The drive through car wash has a prepaid card and I use it often.

The reactions I'm getting are:
If people see the car, they don't know what it is until they read the subtle boxster on the rear trunk. They love the look. And lots of thumbs up.

For the people that I "tell" them I bought a boxster, the reaction is..."oh, a boxster,"

The sound with the sports exhaust is awesome and loud for stock

The sound "does" add to the emotion of driving....for sure!
Old 07-09-2016, 01:33 AM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You likely made the right choice for your needs.

At the same time, once the 718S's get out, all the hating and smack-talk will eventually hush save for the elders. You know, the complainers about "what's with this water cooled crap!?"

Times evolve, deal with it! I've driven the M4 cab, Alfa 4C, 981 GTS, and 718S on the track and HANDS DOWN the 718S IS THE BETTER DRIVER'S CAR! Get used to it.

If I had to pick, the sound of a GTS is more pleasing, but in person, there is absolutely too much upside to the 718S's sound to just write it off.

They're all great cars, and evolution is here.

Stop hating, start embracing, and just enjoy
Old 07-09-2016, 03:55 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Your entitled to your opinion. But your opinion isn't fact. Best drivers car is subjective. Some people like the respnse and feel of an NA engine, some people like the instant torque of a turbo. Unless you race professionally tenths of a second matter less than the overall experience.

Btw, What track did you drive the 718S on?

Originally Posted by GTS Daddy

At the same time, once the 718S's get out, all the hating and smack-talk will eventually hush save for the elders. You know, the complainers about "what's with this water cooled crap!?"

Times evolve, deal with it! I've driven the M4 cab, Alfa 4C, 981 GTS, and 718S on the track and HANDS DOWN the 718S IS THE BETTER DRIVER'S CAR! Get used to it.

If I had to pick, the sound of a GTS is more pleasing, but in person, there is absolutely too much upside to the 718S's sound to just write it off.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:41 AM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
Your entitled to your opinion. But your opinion isn't fact. Best drivers car is subjective. Some people like the respnse and feel of an NA engine, some people like the instant torque of a turbo. Unless you race professionally tenths of a second matter less than the overall experience.

Btw, What track did you drive the 718S on?
What value do your speculations bring until you have experienced the car for yourself, firsthand, and in an actual driving situation?

Most of the concerns and negative feedback I've read in this thread comes without the experience of actually driving the car (718), right?

Obviously this is my opinion, however, it looks like I am one of the few (in this thread) who has actually experienced the car in real-life performance driving. So say what you will about what you have read here and there, but until you drive it for yourself, have an open mind and embrace the experience of your fellow rennlister. Not accept, but embrace
Old 07-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

While not directly analogous to the 718S/981GTS, I drove and compared a 991S Cab and a 991S.2 Cab. Frankly I liked my Spyder better than either but I didn't find the .2 version a markedly better drivers car in comparison to the .1.

Perhaps on certain tracks where the rear wheel steering and instant torque come into play the .2 will show an advantage. However for spirited driving, . I preferred the overall power delivery and response not to mention the sound of the the .1. Though both cars are unequivocally great.

Also there are NA enthusiasts. For us, the better drivers car is obvious. Even if the 991.2 Turbo S will be faster around Nordschlefe than the GT3 or even th GT3 RS. I doubt very highly this will dampen the demand for these cars or make the turbo any more coveted.

Just like a car with PDK will be significantly faster than an MT car, this doesn't alter the intimacy and connection some of us feel rowing our own gears that again for us is lacking in the PDK transmission. Does that make an MT less of a drivers transmission?

Finally, Tracks like cars all have their own characteristics which can favor certain perfroance qualities over others. Which is why I'd like to know what track you drove the 718S on.

What value do your speculations bring until you have experienced the car for yourself, firsthand, and in an actual driving situation?

Most of the concerns and negative feedback I've read in this thread comes without the experience of actually driving the car (718), right?

Obviously this is my opinion, however, it looks like I am one of the few (in this thread) who has actually experienced the car in real-life performance driving. So say what you will about what you have read here and there, but until you drive it for yourself, have an open mind and embrace the experience of your fellow rennlister. Not accept, but embrace
Old 07-09-2016, 11:55 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 968 Likes on 457 Posts

Had my 981 in for service last week and the adviser began talking about the new 718 that was in the showroom. He leaned over and said "they sound like a Subaru". If that's what you want to embrace for 90 large, go for it. There should be plenty to choose from.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:36 PM
H82BL8
Pro

I am not saying the 718 is not a 'better' car. It HAS to be better if Porsche wants to evolve.

I have a "preference"
Which I am entitled to have my own opinion. It is nothing to "stop hating nor is it something to get over or embrace.

Quick Reply: 718 boxster or 2015 981 gts