Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Battery Install W/Weights

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 04:36 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Afshin and Donn for the tips.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:55 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You can change the battery yourself. Mine was disconnected for probably 10 minutes. All I had to do was reset the clock. NBD.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 204 Posts

Don't do it within a week of a smog check
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
Hi Scott,

How do I know whether my 2011 Boxster Spyder takes the H5 or H6 battery?

I really like the new AG batteries because they save having to buy the installation kit and the key fob restart feature is brilliant!
I should mention the actual fact is 90% of the Porsche Battery tray will accept both the H6 and H7, Size Batteries. This is because if you remove the cleat that holds the battery down you will notice it has two other bolt holes next to them to allow you to fit the other size batteries. So you can actually use and H6 in a Car that has an H7 original Battery. For our batteries being they will be avaiable in specific Amp Hours you just choose the size you want... So you can get a 40ah H6 or a 40Ah H7 and both would fit in the porsche and both would have the same Amp Hours just different case sizes..
Old 02-20-2019, 04:42 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Braille guys might've been watching too much Minions -

this is their positive terminal cover, adapter and screw holder... Donn
Old 02-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Can you show a picture of the cable connected to the battery?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
Don't do it within a week of a smog check
Some cars can take 200+ miles, and it is really helpful to use a shop that can tell you what you have to do to get the car to 'reset' rather than just busting you three times and make you pay for three checks.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Odyssey PC925 Update

For those of you looking into a lightweight battery I thought I would provide an update regarding my experience with the Odyssey PC925 Battery.

My first PC925 lasted about 2.5 years and during that span I had two instances where the battery fully discharged. The first time occurred at abaout 18 months and the second time occurred at the 2.5 year mark. Note that in both of those instances the battery went flat in less than 7 days from either the last charge or the last drive.

This past weekend my 2 month old PC925 went flat within 5 days of my last drive and I was a bit put off. I decided to contact Odyssey and below is the email I received from them verbatim:

If this is the second PC925 that has been in the vehicle with poor results due to under sizing, we would not recommend using this sized battery in your vehicle in the future without consistent use of a compatible maintainer from use to use when the vehicle is not in use for more than 3-4 days frequently. Based upon the current voltage of the battery, the warranty is void. If the battery is not permanently sulfated, here are some links that may help with the attempting recovery. The first is for the over discharged batteries and the second is for de-sulfating a battery that is taking and holding charge but not performing well. Repeat the reconditioning cycle at least two times to be effective. A 10A or higher current charger that does not exceed 15.0V would be recommended for both procedures.

The OEM sized battery for your vehicle is a group 49 or 94R @ 135-150 RCM or about 62-76Ah. The PC925 is not a recommended replacement for that sized battery and is only 48 RCM and 27Ah. Almost 1/3 the capacity of the OEM sized battery meaning that is will only tolerate parasitic loads for 1/3 the time of an OEM sized battery before having issues. If maintained with a compatible maintainer from use to use if not a daily driver, then it could work just fine but it would not have the 2-3 times expected service life of an OEM sized ODYSSEY battery compared to a conventional battery.

The good news for me is that I have the proper charger and I was able to recover the battery but based upon the above reply it’s clear this battery is not adequate for our cars and I would say inadequate for any newer Porsche assuming it won’t hold a change beyond 3-4 days in our cars.

I’ll continue to use the battery for now but I’ll be looking for a reasonably priced alternative that will hopefully work with the original factory mount or the Rennline mount.

I guess I should have contacted Odyssey the first time, hopefully it helps others with their choice.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
For those of you looking into a lightweight battery I thought I would provide an update regarding my experience with the Odyssey PC925 Battery.

My first PC925 lasted about 2.5 years and during that span I had two instances where the battery fully discharged. The first time occurred at abaout 18 months and the second time occurred at the 2.5 year mark. Note that in both of those instances the battery went flat in less than 7 days from either the last charge or the last drive.

This past weekend my 2 month old PC925 went flat within 5 days of my last drive and I was a bit put off. I decided to contact Odyssey and below is the email I received from them verbatim:

If this is the second PC925 that has been in the vehicle with poor results due to under sizing, we would not recommend using this sized battery in your vehicle in the future without consistent use of a compatible maintainer from use to use when the vehicle is not in use for more than 3-4 days frequently. Based upon the current voltage of the battery, the warranty is void. If the battery is not permanently sulfated, here are some links that may help with the attempting recovery. The first is for the over discharged batteries and the second is for de-sulfating a battery that is taking and holding charge but not performing well. Repeat the reconditioning cycle at least two times to be effective. A 10A or higher current charger that does not exceed 15.0V would be recommended for both procedures.

The OEM sized battery for your vehicle is a group 49 or 94R @ 135-150 RCM or about 62-76Ah. The PC925 is not a recommended replacement for that sized battery and is only 48 RCM and 27Ah. Almost 1/3 the capacity of the OEM sized battery meaning that is will only tolerate parasitic loads for 1/3 the time of an OEM sized battery before having issues. If maintained with a compatible maintainer from use to use if not a daily driver, then it could work just fine but it would not have the 2-3 times expected service life of an OEM sized ODYSSEY battery compared to a conventional battery.

The good news for me is that I have the proper charger and I was able to recover the battery but based upon the above reply it’s clear this battery is not adequate for our cars and I would say inadequate for any newer Porsche assuming it won’t hold a change beyond 3-4 days in our cars.

I’ll continue to use the battery for now but I’ll be looking for a reasonably priced alternative that will hopefully work with the original factory mount or the Rennline mount.

I guess I should have contacted Odyssey the first time, hopefully it helps others with their choice.
You've been posting some good info! So thanks, and please note I am not here to try to say Lithium is the best thing since sliced bread. It is more expensive, and the wieght saving are not always needed or desired. I will go into one of my rambles on a few things about both chemistry and some other random thoughts and insights in no particular order.

1- A Braille Battery is a re-badged DEKA Battery. If you want to go with a that 30Ah Braille... just get the DEKA... exact same battery but Braille ups the cost quite a bit. Just look on Amazon for the Deka 30 Amp Hour Battery. It will save you guys a bit of money.

2- As Oddessey noted in their comments and as you understand OVER-DISCHARGE is the leading cause of damage to ANY Battery Chemistry be it Lead/Acid/ Lithium or Nickle Cadium. If the battery gets over-discharged it damages the Cells and they will degrade depending on how deep that discharge is and how long for. But if done deeply you battery will start to just die relatively soon after. So do all you can to stay away from adding addtional accessories, or USB chargers or changing your Porsche from Stock in those regards. And the reason is that the more modern Porsche have an excellent on board battery management system that puts most the car to sleep so that the draw on the battery is VERY low actually, and you can get away with smaller batteries. But once you add stereo, or plug in USB chargers or put cameras on the cars you are often by passing what Porsche engineers work out to allow you battery to stay charged longer..... Oh yeah and my Antigravity Plug...... one of the cool things about a our lithium battery ir ia built with OVER-DISCHARGE protection. So you CAN'T damage it by over-discharge. It just puts itself to sleep... and you can press the keyfob to wake it up to start the car or get in the frunk. So with protection against battery damage they last 2-3 times Longer than a lead acid battery.

2- I disagree with with Oddessy claiming the 925 is to small for most the Porsche SPorts Cars. An 925 is a 28 Ah Battery.... that is a solid Amp Hours for a small Sports Car without a bunch of extra accessories like the Boxsters and such. It should be able to sit at least about 6-8 weeks without over discharging. OUr ATX30 was in a 2 Boxsters and some GT4 and they were getting 6 weeks of stand by and that is only an 18 Amp Hour Battery. But regardless YES you do have to make sure you know your Parasitic drain on your particular Car, and monitor it if you choose to use a small battery. But 28Ah is solid for your cars if all stock.

3- I have no affiliation with the Lead/Acid companies... but the facts are Optima is NOT a good Lead/Acid Battery... they fail in two years and I have worked with so many people and the Optima is just garbage now. They used to rock... about 8 years ago.. but the moved to Mexico and they changed something. I would say go with Interstate. Also in case you didn't know Johnson Controls made most all the Lead Acid Batteries you are seeing and they are also just rebranded models. So the Walmart Platinum is the Same Battery as the Bosche.... true.... exact same battery and Case.

4- If you put a small or regular battery in your car.... or have been having problems with your Cars Battery and want to be able to monitor it check out our new product below. They do work and very good. Its called the Battery Tracker. Simply connects to your battery in minutes then send all the battery data to your phone and will send you warnings if the battery is getting low... Then will track your data over 31 days and show it to you in a graphical format on the Phone or Tablet.... check the video below.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
You've been posting some good info! So thanks, and please note I am not here to try to say Lithium is the best thing since sliced bread. It is more expensive, and the wieght saving are not always needed or desired. I will go into one of my rambles on a few things about both chemistry and some other random thoughts and insights in no particular order.

1- A Braille Battery is a re-badged DEKA Battery. If you want to go with a that 30Ah Braille... just get the DEKA... exact same battery but Braille ups the cost quite a bit. Just look on Amazon for the Deka 30 Amp Hour Battery. It will save you guys a bit of money.

2- As Oddessey noted in their comments and as you understand OVER-DISCHARGE is the leading cause of damage to ANY Battery Chemistry be it Lead/Acid/ Lithium or Nickle Cadium. If the battery gets over-discharged it damages the Cells and they will degrade depending on how deep that discharge is and how long for. But if done deeply you battery will start to just die relatively soon after. So do all you can to stay away from adding addtional accessories, or USB chargers or changing your Porsche from Stock in those regards. And the reason is that the more modern Porsche have an excellent on board battery management system that puts most the car to sleep so that the draw on the battery is VERY low actually, and you can get away with smaller batteries. But once you add stereo, or plug in USB chargers or put cameras on the cars you are often by passing what Porsche engineers work out to allow you battery to stay charged longer..... Oh yeah and my Antigravity Plug...... one of the cool things about a our lithium battery ir ia built with OVER-DISCHARGE protection. So you CAN'T damage it by over-discharge. It just puts itself to sleep... and you can press the keyfob to wake it up to start the car or get in the frunk. So with protection against battery damage they last 2-3 times Longer than a lead acid battery.

2- I disagree with with Oddessy claiming the 925 is to small for most the Porsche SPorts Cars. An 925 is a 28 Ah Battery.... that is a solid Amp Hours for a small Sports Car without a bunch of extra accessories like the Boxsters and such. It should be able to sit at least about 6-8 weeks without over discharging. OUr ATX30 was in a 2 Boxsters and some GT4 and they were getting 6 weeks of stand by and that is only an 18 Amp Hour Battery. But regardless YES you do have to make sure you know your Parasitic drain on your particular Car, and monitor it if you choose to use a small battery. But 28Ah is solid for your cars if all stock.

3- I have no affiliation with the Lead/Acid companies... but the facts are Optima is NOT a good Lead/Acid Battery... they fail in two years and I have worked with so many people and the Optima is just garbage now. They used to rock... about 8 years ago.. but the moved to Mexico and they changed something. I would say go with Interstate. Also in case you didn't know Johnson Controls made most all the Lead Acid Batteries you are seeing and they are also just rebranded models. So the Walmart Platinum is the Same Battery as the Bosche.... true.... exact same battery and Case.

4- If you put a small or regular battery in your car.... or have been having problems with your Cars Battery and want to be able to monitor it check out our new product below. They do work and very good. Its called the Battery Tracker. Simply connects to your battery in minutes then send all the battery data to your phone and will send you warnings if the battery is getting low... Then will track your data over 31 days and show it to you in a graphical format on the Phone or Tablet.... check the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFMBfqS-Hk
Thank you for this feedback, it is extremely helpful and yes Antigravity is on my shorter list of potential replacements.

I failed to note in my earlier post that my car is 100% stock and I don’t use any accessories when I drive the car or when its sitting idle in the garage. I don’t even charge my phone during drives, just the A/C and Radio get used which I would hope a PC925 can handle. As far as paristic draws, my car was checked after the first PC925 died and nothing was found, this was in January of this year.

Personally I think the Odyssey battery has some type of issue but they are falling back on it being undersized for the application. Since that’s the case I think it’s important that everyone is “informed” of this so they don’t make the same mistake. It’s a high maintenance option at best.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:38 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

I used a smaller Odyssey on a Lotus for the weight savings, and in retrospect it wasn't worth it. I kept the car on a maintainer to mitigate the risk of discharge, and it lasted fine, but the real weight savings were trivial in the larger scheme.

I also developed a healthy distrust of lithium batteries while in lotus land, when a $1000 battery sold by a small vendor started failing due to poor design. People weren't happy.

I'm sure that the lithium batteries now have improved, but I'm just not seeing the price benefit to lose 30 pounds. But that's just me.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thank you for this feedback, it is extremely helpful and yes Antigravity is on my shorter list of potential replacements.

I failed to note in my earlier post that my car is 100% stock and I don’t use any accessories when I drive the car or when its sitting idle in the garage. I don’t even charge my phone during drives, just the A/C and Radio get used which I would hope a PC925 can handle. As far as paristic draws, my car was checked after the first PC925 died and nothing was found, this was in January of this year.

Personally I think the Odyssey battery has some type of issue but they are falling back on it being undersized for the application. Since that’s the case I think it’s important that everyone is “informed” of this so they don’t make the same mistake. It’s a high maintenance option at best.
Yes absolutely something was up with that particular Odyssey. At 28 Ah is should really be not even phased by your car. Plus Odyssey is a solid brand and a good product. I think Odyssey would gladly exchange that battery also, there is no excuse for a 2 month battery to be failing. Yes they might claim it was over-discharged but you should push on them and say it wasn't. The fact is someone else may have returned it but it looked new so the seller re-sold it. Its hard to tell.

Another odd thing is for the last 6-7 years the lifespan of Lead/Acid appears to be getting shorter. No matter the marketing claims, I am at so many tradeshow and people keep saying my battery only last 2 year maybe 3 years... and I keep hearing it more and more. The fact is that YES some are not lasting as long because there are so many electronics and computers on board on a modern car... which makes the potential for over-discharge even more possible, but I also think the modern Alternator with their Smart Charging and selectable charging curve and stuff are not really doing all the much, and last the quality seems lower with sort of a built-in obsolescence so they can sell more product. Now while maybe I'm just talking to people that have had issues, it just seems like when I was younger people were getting like 6 to 8 years out of Lead Batteries as the normal Life cycle.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

As long as we are here talking batteries, if I put an Antigravity lithium battery in my 981 Cayman, is there any problem with the battery being incompatible with the cars AGM battery charging system? Is some sort of programming needed?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
As long as we are here talking batteries, if I put an Antigravity lithium battery in my 981 Cayman, is there any problem with the battery being incompatible with the cars AGM battery charging system? Is some sort of programming needed?
No absolutely not... the only incompatibility is when charging with a Lead/Acid charger that has the desulphate mode.... most lead acid chargers tend to cycle Lithium batteries at the end of cycle charging. Lithium doesn't like that and the desuphate modes can spike the voltage which lithium doesn't like.

In a Car it is a different story. Its a standard charge rate without the extra programming of a charger. An AGM charge voltage is in general lower than a FLA (flooded Lead/Acid) and both are compatible with Lithium since they both fall within the range of Lithium's voltage requirements when charging.

Actually all the Battery are never intended to be charged over 15v... but our lithium also has the over-charge protection that would knock down any spiking voltages to it.... but cars are standardized and you rarely see charging above 14.9v.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:28 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Lightweight Battery Install W/Weights