Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Battery Install W/Weights

Old 02-09-2019, 01:31 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Keep us posted on the Braille. Also which mount did you use for it?
Stable Energies sells the mount, pretty flexible installation-wise. Not sure if it's their design... Cheers, Donn
Old 02-09-2019, 03:26 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Donn, nice clean install. Watch the Braille terminal hex bolts as mine would vib loose and make the battery seem weak while it was the bolt. (I used the weaker thread locker to fix it without over torqueing)
Also, I think the 28lb savings was 18lb. for the 21lb Braille.

Earth-X 6.9lb. Li ETX1200 install...33lb. savings and 25ah/1200 battery. Max weight savings single sided mount requires two cargo wall holes to be drilled.
Red tied down positive cover is required for many track tech inspections and safety.

Last edited by A432; 02-09-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
Donn, nice clean install. Watch the Braille terminal hex bolts as mine would vib loose and make the battery seem weak while it was the bolt. (I used the weaker thread locker to fix it without over torqueing)
Also, I think the 28lb savings was 18lb. for the 21lb Braille.

Earth-X 6.9lb. Li ETX1200 install...33lb. savings and 25ah/1200 battery. Max weight savings single sided mount requires two cargo wall holes to be drilled.
Red tied down positive cover is required for many track tech inspections and safety.
I’ve been trying to understand how these aluminum mounts stay put, thanks for the post.

I have to admit, I like the direction AG is going with the stock battery shell and lightweight design. If price was about half of what it is now I would be in for one, hopefully they can figure out how to reduce the manufacturing costs.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:28 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Welcome. Agree that for most, a stock type casing and mount is much easier. The other way to mount a non stock battery box is to pull the tray and drill holes through it.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

There were two factors that lead me back to the Odyssey, one was the fact that I already had the Rennline mount which didn’t require any modifications to the car or the battery tray. The second was the cost, I can buy three Odyssey batteries for the price of a lithium battery and I don’t need a special charger.

But when lithium becomes more prevalent and prices come down I won’t hesitate to make the change and buy the special charger. Losing weight to me is far better than adding horsepower.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:47 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

The Li's are still definitely a luxury. In my case, it was to get down to minimum class weight also, there was an added motivation.
On another note, I will say the fear of the locked out frunk is a little overblown. As long as you have some time when you realize you've let the voltage drop too low,
you can plug in a charger (Batt Tend Jr here) to the lighter outlet and raise the voltage back to unlock the frunk. Depends how discharged it is time wise, but pretty easy.
(all 987's have the lighter connection on full time and potentially 981's could need the "WG38" software update to have the lighter outlet on full time).
I believe most of the LI's now have a low voltage protection circuit, so it's just a matter of providing positive voltage to get the circuit to allow use again.

Last edited by A432; 02-09-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

thanks A432, Braille terminals not thrilling me either, I'll keep an eye on them, and can revert to a full size in any parking lot. Braille is mounted to a phenolic plank though admittedly the factory clamp is bolted in mostly to keep it from growing legs. Replacement battery I took out weighed 51 lbs. 14 oz., the Braille with basket weighs 23 lbs. 3 oz... Cheers, Donn

Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Welcome. Dang 51lb 14oz, that's a big one. All the 987/981 70ah Porsche ones I've seen are 39.5-40.5....a replacement?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:00 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

yup, the factory original was done after four years, replaced with an Autocraft 80 ah agm that had me chasing a drain for a while but never could find, might have been a bum cell... Donn
Old 02-11-2019, 11:26 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread is of interest to me as I am still on my original Porsche/Banner battery. Six + years of service seems pretty darn good and dealer tested it last September and said it was still okay. I have always kept it on the Ctek when not driving. However I know the time is coming to change it for reliability when on multi day road trips and I would like to change to a lighter one. I am gleaning from this thread that both the Odyssey and Braille AGMs need special mounts. Is that true? It looks like Anti Gravity has made the newest cases in the stock Porsche battery size eliminating the need for special mount, but the cost plus the need for a special trickle charger/maintainer makes it too pricey for me. What are you guys paying for Odyssey plus mount or Braille plus mount, and can you DIY without having to have the car's computer reprogrammed by dealer?
Any help appreciated.
Steve
Old 02-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Any way to get the anti-gravity batteries in the UK?
Hey Ubermensch. We can ship direct however as you can imagine it can get to be extremely expensive to do so and becomes impractical from a cost standpoint. However, we also have distribution in the UK and while it will take a little bit more time before the availability is there, you should be able to acquire the new options down the road shortly.

Antigravity Batteries UK
Old 02-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meteor10
This thread is of interest to me as I am still on my original Porsche/Banner battery. Six + years of service seems pretty darn good and dealer tested it last September and said it was still okay. I have always kept it on the Ctek when not driving. However I know the time is coming to change it for reliability when on multi day road trips and I would like to change to a lighter one. I am gleaning from this thread that both the Odyssey and Braille AGMs need special mounts. Is that true? It looks like Anti Gravity has made the newest cases in the stock Porsche battery size eliminating the need for special mount, but the cost plus the need for a special trickle charger/maintainer makes it too pricey for me. What are you guys paying for Odyssey plus mount or Braille plus mount, and can you DIY without having to have the car's computer reprogrammed by dealer?
Any help appreciated.
Steve
I’m speaking in terms of the 987 but I have to think that the 981 will be similar. The Odyssey PC925 costs $187 Shipped plus tax. Rennline makes a mount that is easy to install and requires no modification for the Odyssey. I would take a look at their website to see what they have available for the 981 if you decide on the Odyssey. Braille has a few mounting options but I couldn’t confirm if modification is required.

My only other suggestion is that if you go with AGM stick with the larger sizes, most of these are around 22 - 24 lbs.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:54 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

hi Meteor, Stable Energies has the Braille B3121 for $230 and a nice mount for $65, you still have to attach it to the battery tray ( which is also the fuel pump cover on a 987 ) but no dealer service should be required... Cheers, Donn
Old 02-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Scott,

How do I know whether my 2011 Boxster Spyder takes the H5 or H6 battery?

I really like the new AG batteries because they save having to buy the installation kit and the key fob restart feature is brilliant!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
Hi Scott,

How do I know whether my 2011 Boxster Spyder takes the H5 or H6 battery?

I really like the new AG batteries because they save having to buy the installation kit and the key fob restart feature is brilliant!
Anything relatively current for Porsche 911's including your Boxter should be the H6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lightweight Battery Install W/Weights