Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation update? Warning: non-Spyder question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:03 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Navigation update? Warning: non-Spyder question

We were out and about Monday looking for a place to eat, and all of the choices that we liked best have closed. It seems that the POI database in the nav in my 981 (2014) is quite out of date. How does this update? I thought it was satellite-based, mostly because there's no disk drive like my old BMWs used to use. Do I need to pay my friendly Porsche dealer to do this, or is it covered while under warranty, or what?
Old 03-30-2016, 01:45 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you use the aha app?
Old 03-30-2016, 01:48 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by 981spyder
can you use the aha app?
I suppose I could, but that's not what I want to do. I simply want to know how the car updates the Navigation database including POI.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

can you use the aha app?
It's kind of funny that the first response I get for my non-Spyder question is a Spyder owner.

OK, maybe it's only funny to me.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:13 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, I though you were trying to be funny about all the spyder talk in this section. The pcm its going to be the same, but you have to take it to the dealer for that and it takes a few hours for the update.
I wonder if you can buy the update from Suncoast or use their prices as a negotiating tool with your local dealer.
You can use the Aha app and ask the pcm to look for different things and use your data in your phone if that helps.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:43 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

lol, I though you were trying to be funny about all the spyder talk in this section. The pcm its going to be the same, but you have to take it to the dealer for that and it takes a few hours for the update.
I wonder if you can buy the update from Suncoast or use their prices as a negotiating tool with your local dealer.
You can use the Aha app and ask the pcm to look for different things and use your data in your phone if that helps.
I *was* trying to be funny.

SO, I guess the answer is, I've got to go to the dealer, which is (you can guess) not what I wanted to hear.

I can use my phone, sure, in fact I did that because the nav was suggesting restaurants that I'd never heard of, so I was googling the results and that's how I found that they were all closed. I find it easier to use the in-car system (if it had decent data) than my phone. I'm old. I can't see that tiny screen.

Thanks for the help! Next time I'm there for service, I'll ask about an update and see what it costs.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:54 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Porsche like almost all auto manufacturers have used nav updates as a big profit center for both them and the dealer. To update you nav you'll need to purchase the most recent disc (2015 but data is from 2014), which are only done annually at best, then have the dealer install it. Suncoast sells the disc for $270, http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9X1PCM31.html But they say "Special Note: dealer installation and activation required." So, that tacks on another $100 or so. All of which is crazy given you can go buy a new Garmin with lifetime map updates, better features, more POIs and an easier to use interface for $100.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
All of which is crazy given you can go buy a new Garmin with lifetime map updates, better features, more POIs and an easier to use interface for $100.
That's why I use my iPhone for navigation.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:50 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
That's why I use my iPhone for navigation.
I agree.

Quick Reply: Navigation update? Warning: non-Spyder question