Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black/Black 2016 Boxster Spyder with LWB's! Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:40 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

I had a 991 GT3 for 2 years before selling it to make room for the RS. I drove that about 10k miles and loved every mile. I miss it a lot and I am pretty sure I will drive both the Spyder and RS a lot!
Jeff
Old 06-17-2016, 02:13 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Jeff, would you mind comparing the GT3 with the Spyder? Curious about handling differences, to see how much Porsche can mask the rear-engine disadvantage with trickery like 4-wheel steering and such. And how the 2 compare in driving satisfaction, since the GT3 is obviously quicker/faster. Have 2 buddies with 991 GT3s and 2 with RSs, but haven't been able to ride or drive on any of them. Finally, if you like the Spyder so much, why not the manual 911R? Thx.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:22 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Sure - the GT3 feels a lot more planted than the Spyder. The downforce, steering, weight all are apparent. The Spyder has great balance and finesse, and of course the shifting is very engaging. However, the raw power and acceleration and speed you can carry into a turn are incredible in the GT3. The shifts (when using the shifter or paddles) in the GT3 are also addictive. Totally different cars. I actually think a PDK-S GT3 or RS and a manual open top Spyder are so different - different cars for different moods. I think they are both fun but different and equally enjoyable.
The Spyder is so visceral and engaging but when you are used to the insane acceleration of a GT3 or RS it is hard to compare that aspect.
That being said, I think they may be the perfect combination. I also have a '98 Carrera S that has been a real pleasure, as well as an '86 Carrera coupe that feels more mechanical and is tougher to drive (no power steering, no ABS, etc). All different flavors a of the same idea. All different but all enjoyable. Would not know which one to get rid of. All have different seat time each month, but just depends on moods.
That being said, I get a ton of compliments on the Spyder as something that many people have never seen and do not know what it is...but everyone loves the lines and sound.
Hope this helps?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:15 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

It's amazing how different the apyder looks from a boxster, despite minimal visual changes.. I don't look or care for attention, but I'm often surprised at the comments/questions for what is essentially the body of the entry level Porsche. They really nailed the design on it... I get all ..... When I see my car on weekends
Old 06-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's amazing how different the apyder looks from a boxster, despite minimal visual changes.. I don't look or care for attention, but I'm often surprised at the comments/questions for what is essentially the body of the entry level Porsche. They really nailed the design on it... I get all ..... When I see my car on weekends
To me the 981 Spyder is the best looking open top production car Porsche has made in recent years. Really by a mile. But I also received a good amount of attention when I drove my 981S which is a beautiful car as well. So the 981 Spyder had a very good starting point afaic.

It's interesting to compare that to the 987 Spyder. The 987 wasn't a particularly pretty car especially from the side but the Spyder treatment for that version was really transformitive.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:05 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
Hope this helps?
Absolutely. Thanks a lot for your detailed comparison. You made a great point I didn't see before: Just because both are Porsches, and all 981/991s very similar from the seats forward, the rear and mid-engine platforms are like 2 different cars. So more a matter of which flavor you like best. And if you can afford both, all the better. Have a great weekend ahead folks.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:06 AM
Backroads
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=JCBH]Sure - the GT3 feels a lot more planted than the Spyder. The downforce, steering, weight all are apparent. The Spyder has great balance and finesse, and of course the shifting is very engaging. However, the raw power and acceleration and speed you can carry into a turn are incredible in the GT3. The shifts (when using the shifter or paddles) in the GT3 are also addictive. Totally different cars. I actually think a PDK-S GT3 or RS and a manual open top Spyder are so different - different cars for different moods. I think they are both fun but different and equally enjoyable.
The Spyder is so visceral and engaging but when you are used to the insane acceleration of a GT3 or RS it is hard to compare that aspect.
That being said, I think they may be the perfect combination.

Well said. I have '15 GT3 and 981 Spyder also, and agree 100% with you.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:22 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
To me the 981 Spyder is the best looking open top production car Porsche has made in recent years. Really by a mile.
+1
Old 06-18-2016, 09:56 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
To me the 981 Spyder is the best looking open top production car Porsche has made in recent years. Really by a mile. But I also received a good amount of attention when I drove my 981S which is a beautiful car as well. So the 981 Spyder had a very good starting point afaic.

It's interesting to compare that to the 987 Spyder. The 987 wasn't a particularly pretty car especially from the side but the Spyder treatment for that version was really transformitive.
I agree the Spyder iterations of both 987 and 981 are really special cars that really separate them from their brethren. And yes agree they are the most beautiful convertibles and the 3.8 just makes it all that much better for the 981 version. The 3.8 was the selling point for me. And, manual top is something I've asking for too. Got caught in the rain last weekend; just drove faster until there was a turn out. Top was up in seconds. No problem IMHO.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:11 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

drove my spyder for the first time today, have owned quite a few P cars over the years to say the least, very happy with this one.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:13 PM
dpod4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
Haha yeah.
Paint protection completed - incredible job - they removed the headlights, spray nozzles, gas cap and the install is so clean. Took 2 guys almost the full day. Well worth it, especially in black. Here are some pictures of the process, as well as the completion (and a gratuitous interior shot, since I am in love with the interior on this car)...https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/xyxwave.gif
(Belated) congrats on a beautiful car. I saw a triple black at my porsche dealer and hard for photos to do justice what that combo looks like in person. You took it to another level -- the paint correction and wrap makes it look more liquid....as if it is moving while standing still...allows the shape of the car to come through more. Very nice.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:17 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Thanks - really a terrific car - just picked up my 991 RS at the factory and will have it back home next week - perfect combo - really excited to have them in the same garage. Great alternatives for different moods. The Spyder is such a raw, perfect car. Miss it since we have been traveling!
Old 06-26-2016, 02:33 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Enjoy both cars and pictures of big brother and little brother next to each other, please. Safe travels.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:58 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Thanks - will do for sure.
Will post some pics from the factory of the RS being finalized...also had some custom luggage made to match the interior with alcantara/leather/yellow stitching and a custom notation...turned out nice.

Last edited by JCBH; 06-26-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:15 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Here is the luggage...
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Black/Black 2016 Boxster Spyder with LWB's! Wow!