Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a well taken care of Cayman S w/160K

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:35 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's an update:
The Cayman has been awesome, by far the most fun and rewarding car I've ever owned. It has been 5000 miles of trouble free driving and I mean not one single hick-up. All I've done is change the battery, the oil and back brakes. It's ready for some tires and that's it. Because it's what I do, I just put it up for sale. http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5944599837.html But I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing. I just bought a 2007 Boxster S with 50000 miles. There's a story about that purchase I'll save for another day. I thought it would ease the pain of letting the Cayman go. While it never felt as good as the Cayman, I thought it would be close. But now that I've drove a few 100 miles it appears to be totally different. No matter how hard I push the Cayman it never lets me down. It holds the road like no other. The Boxster slides around like it’s on wet pavement. I pushed it a little on Friday and now I’m looking for a new wheel. Maybe it’s the tires or something else but it just doesn’t seem to be in the same league. Maybe someone that’s owned both can give me some insight. But I’m seriously considering keeping the Cayman and selling the Boxster.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

They really should have the same handling characteristics. Remember that the Cayman was derived from the Boxster and the primary difference is the roof. I would start with the tires and make sure they aren't too old and also check the shocks and alignment.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:11 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CoupesOnly
While it never felt as good as the Cayman, I thought it would be close. But now that I've drove a few 100 miles it appears to be totally different. No matter how hard I push the Cayman it never lets me down. It holds the road like no other. The Boxster slides around like it’s on wet pavement. I pushed it a little on Friday and now I’m looking for a new wheel. Maybe it’s the tires or something else but it just doesn’t seem to be in the same league. Maybe someone that’s owned both can give me some insight. But I’m seriously considering keeping the Cayman and selling the Boxster.
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
They really should have the same handling characteristics. Remember that the Cayman was derived from the Boxster and the primary difference is the roof. I would start with the tires and make sure they aren't too old and also check the shocks and alignment.
Marine Blue is correct. If you are feeling a significant difference between your new Boxster and your old Cayman I believe your Boxster either has poor tires, tires in poor condition, or an alignment/setup problem.
I have a base Boxster (987.2) and a Cayman S (987.1). Despite the Boxster having less tire width, less power, and less braking ability compared to the Cayman S, the performance gap in handling doesn't really become obvious until I am seriously pushing it. I know that part of the reason my Boxster handles as well as it does is because it currently has better tires than my Cayman.
On the street and in the hands of the average driver, there should be little performance difference between a Cayman and Boxster with equivalent power, suspension, tires, etc. I'm sure pros and experienced track folks could tell some difference, but it would take a track scenario to really tell the difference.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 AM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. The tires on the Boxster look to have a little dry rot so I'll reserve judgement until I get some new tires. I'm a little bias. Look at my user name. Plus the 2011 Cayman is newer and better optioned and in much better shape overall. I wouldn't sell it but I think I need to while there's still a substantial amount of warranty left.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:41 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP,

These kind of threads are interesting in this way. You or someone else, (seen this same thing before) asks should I buy this car, forum consensus is no, yet you pursue it. So why ask in the first place, if you were going to pursue it anyway? Its like going to a DR and getting 50 opinions saying the outcome will be bad and going for it anyway... I simply don't get it... Anyway ... good luck with your decision.

The one think most seem to fail to mention, any major issue with the car is a 10 to 20K affair. You seem to be very budget conscious, are you willing to drop 20K and have it turn into a zero if your PDK goes bad, or are you aware that any minor issue is going to cost you anywhere from 1-3K?

Not so much frustrated as trying to be as clear as possible. I truly appreciate everyone's input. I knew that most members would advise against this purchase. I wasn't prepared for the universal agreement against the purchase. It's been very helpful and making me face the issues even more than I was already.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:01 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

All I want to know is if he finds a buyer for his CS with 165,000 miles for anywhere near his asking price of $26,000.

That's even more cra cra than the OP buying the car in the first place.

Eddie
Old 01-09-2017, 05:18 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
They really should have the same handling characteristics.
The correct word is SIMILAR. A ragtop convertible will never have the same rigidity as a coupe. And it's also a bit heavier. But yes, the difference shouldn't be that great. Also remember suspension choice makes a big difference in handling, like X73 vs base, assuming both vehicles are mechanically whole. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:17 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

Here's an update:
The Cayman has been awesome, by far the most fun and rewarding car I've ever owned. It has been 5000 miles of trouble free driving and I mean not one single hick-up. All I've done is change the battery, the oil and back brakes. It's ready for some tires and that's it. Because it's what I do, I just put it up for sale. http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5944599837.html But I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing. I just bought a 2007 Boxster S with 50000 miles. There's a story about that purchase I'll save for another day. I thought it would ease the pain of letting the Cayman go. While it never felt as good as the Cayman, I thought it would be close. But now that I've drove a few 100 miles it appears to be totally different. No matter how hard I push the Cayman it never lets me down. It holds the road like no other. The Boxster slides around like it’s on wet pavement. I pushed it a little on Friday and now I’m looking for a new wheel. Maybe it’s the tires or something else but it just doesn’t seem to be in the same league. Maybe someone that’s owned both can give me some insight. But I’m seriously considering keeping the Cayman and selling the Boxster.
wow, lots of surprises in your post.

As an owner of a high mileage car myself (07 Cayman S with 145K) I was interested in your post.

Assuming you are not trying to make money off our Cayman, that asking price is simply too high. I mean no offense by it, and I would never say that if this were your For Sale AD. There are probably a handful of Street caymans in the country that have that number of miles, especially for a 2011. A normal mileage car probably books $7000-$10,000 higher, but at that mileage, you are looking for a very specific buyer who is wiling to take the risk, and wiling to invest in a lot of maintenance that is either due or will come up shortly. In no way do I mean those buyers aren't out there (I myself am one of those), but those buyers would even consider that price.
2ndly, you say the boxer moves around when the Cayman doesnt, do you mean they are on the exact same tires and tire tread? same suspension?

As for the handling of both cars, I am certain to a point they both should function the same, but the Cayman Chassis will always be more rigid and slightly more communicative. Should the boxer start sliding around where the Cayman stick like glue (same speed same road), answer is NO... there is something off with the boxter.

As for which one to keep, I fear you are stuck with the cayman (depending how much in a hole you are in financially) because I dont see that car moving for $26,000.. May be Very very Low 20s or very high $18s/$19s
Either way, good luck and enjoy both cars.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

I think it's the tires. I'm working on replacing them and expect a big improvement.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:28 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do keep us apprised if you sell the 2011, and what the final price was!

It looks great, and doesn't have the IMSB to worry about or explain. But, oof, those miles. I got my 2006 with 22,000 miles for $26K.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:49 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

It was the tires on the Boxster S. I ended up selling both. I bought a battery, changed the oil and rear pads on the Cayman S. After driving it over a year I sold it for slightly more then I paid for it. Now I'm dealing with a 2002 911 C4 with 108000 miles I bought from Chicago without going to check it out.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:46 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

I was thinking about the Cayman so I text the new owner. He loves the car and has put over 15,000 miles on it and has only had to change the front brakes and a turn signal bulb. Amazing!!
Old 01-21-2020, 12:20 PM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

For a further "resurrection" of this thread: I don't see any mention of oil analysis. For high mileage engines like this (some enthusiasts here would just do it as part of their own maint. starting on much lower mileage) -- if you have reason to be concerned about engine condition, as here, you should have an oil analysis done. Search here for names. Not always feasible or available but it can tell you a lot about engine health and point you to look further if there is a high concentration of the wrong metal(s).

As a general comment about the OP, it would seem he is very lucky or has a good "gut" instinct or both. If the car hasn't been tracked or abused (when it comes to mechanical things, abuse is not always what it seems) , then you can tell a lot by just listening to it. OTH, with $$$ at stake, you need to avail yourself of any indicators you can.

Last edited by SteveG; 01-24-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:00 AM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Default 2011 Panamera Turbo 168K miles

Starting a new thread for a Pany T
The following users liked this post:
digs (12-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Would you buy a well taken care of Cayman S w/160K