Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyders in the Wild...

Old 09-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

^^^ nice car for sure. Use to live in CA panels would be cool there, but now in GA no way. If the top has to go up I drive another car I yet to drive with the top up. I pretend it doesn't have one(:
Old 09-11-2017, 04:16 AM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I spotted my first Spyder in the wild last week! Was very excited to see one other than my own zipping around the peninsula This was taken Sunday, September 3rd on Sand Hill Road.

Is the owner a Rennlister? Looked to be a California special interest/vanity plate of some kind.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:26 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Drove my Spyder after a month break to drive some of our other cars a bit...reminded us that this is such a terrific and nimble car. Forgot how solid and heavy the clutch was, compared to our 911R. Adjustments are easy once back in the car - and reminded us that the Spyder is such an incredible value and an overall superstar. Now that the heat is (supposedly) winding down here in California, I will be driving the Spyder more. Love driving it with roof down at night. So visceral, so perfect.
Here are some pictures from a recent canyon drive. No bad angle on these cars.
Jeff
Attached Images   
Old 09-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I love the black on black. I also love hearing comments like yours which echo my feelings. I feel so lucky to have one of these cars and only wish I had more opportunity to stretch its legs so to speak. I'm a car nut and this is the favorite one I've ever owned, and the first one that leaves me totally satisfied, not longing for any other weekend fun car upgrade.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Ok, the top is up, but it was in the 90's with humidity high for north Scottsdale, and it hadn't been driven for a month because we were out of town...

(and you guys with the gen 1 cars always have to rub it in that we can't take the rear panel out and leave on the top...)
Gorgeous. I haven't driven mine much lately because of the heat in the day. I did go grab some groceries with it on Sunday... that frunk gets hot inside! Planning on picking up the Fabspeed 450 kit soon (minus the valvetronic rear section) -- I told myself I'd drive the car at least a few months before modding it this time.

A few more days and we'll be into the 90's -- hope it sticks! Sadly I just haven't had the time at night to drive it. All of my vehicles I swap between right now excluding the wife's 335 are top down cars.... wrangler/wrangler/spyder. Great combo. Will probably add a new JL Wrangler Unl. Rubi once they debut in December for DD duty and retire the 98 to an occasional driver.

Last edited by guab; 09-12-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:15 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default P

The PCA - San Diego Region had their annual concours today at beautiful Spanish Landing right on the San Diego Bay. I arrived late, but I believe there were no less than six Spyders in attendance, including four 987s (two in Guards Red and two in White), a 981 (White), and a 918.

Marine Blue, who entered his 987 Spyder in this event last year and took home some hardware, entered his recently acquired Stone Grey/Beige 964 Targa this year and -- you guessed it -- ended up going home with more hardware. Way to go, Afshin!

Old 09-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

thank you for sharing the pictures ...

Way to go Afshin ... Targa looks GREAT
Old 09-17-2017, 11:47 PM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Love this photo showing the water held in place by the RIGHT cup holder. I've had to show my wife why never to place it in the left holder because, if it's cold, condensate will drip onto PCM, leather, etc. Not to mention spilling or sloshing it! Actually I think the dashboard lines look so fantastic I've been placing any water on the passenger seat floor. Of course, never ever will a single morsel of any food enter my spyder. And the permitted liquid is water only and even that I keep to a minimum!

Old 09-18-2017, 03:50 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default PCA Orange Coast Region Idyllwild Drive

It was perfect top-down weather for today's PCA drive from Orange County to Idyllwild. Great southern route through Corona, past Lake Matthews and into Hemet, after which things got more interesting on the way to Mountain Center and then on the climb north up the mountain to Idyllwild for lunch.

Lunch couldn't arrive soon enough for this poor guy who was starving.

23 cars participated with two silver Spyders in attendance -- my 981 and a 918.

A sampling of some of the other participants . . .

There are humps . . . .

. . . . and then there are humps!

After lunch, everyone was free to go their own separate ways and chose their return route back. I selected going north on Hwy. 243 to Banning and I'm glad I did -- epic stretch of two-lane tarmac descending down the mountain with some tight stuff but primarily high speed sweepers. I encountered the 918 along the way and in one of those pinch-me moments we were on this great stretch of road for about 17 miles before 243 emptied out at Banning. There were a handful of Sunday drivers along the way that momentarily impeded our progress, but they thankfully availed themselves of the abundant turn-outs, leaving the Spyders free to do their thing.

Special thanks to C.L. for organizing and planning this great drive, as well as the tasty German lunch.

It was a 415 mile weekend between this drive and Saturday's trip to San Diego for the PCA concours. Felt good to stretch the Spyder's legs!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:13 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

After lunch, everyone was free to go their own separate ways and chose their return route back. I selected going north on Hwy. 243 to Banning and I'm glad I did -- epic stretch of two-lane tarmac descending down the mountain with some tight stuff but primarily high speed sweepers. I encountered the 918 along the way and in one of those pinch-me moments we were on this great stretch of road for about 17 miles before 243 emptied out at Banning. There were a handful of Sunday drivers along the way that momentarily impeded our progress, but they thankfully availed themselves of the abundant turn-outs, leaving the Spyders free to do their thing.

Special thanks to C.L. for organizing and planning this great drive, as well as the tasty German lunch.

It was a 415 mile weekend between this drive and Saturday's trip to San Diego for the PCA concours. Felt good to stretch the Spyder's legs![/QUOTE]

Sounds like a perfect Spyder weekend SJ.

Exactly what these cars were built for.

Weather starting to turn on us here in the U.K., but still managing to get out between the showers :-)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:21 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Some very nice pics of fantastic vehicles. Thank you for sharing. Afshin, attention to detail and work ethic is second to none when it comes to prepping these gorgeous machines. Congrats for the hardware. I had zero doubts even though he did as he was facing a stiff challenge in terms of prep time as he just bought the car.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:29 PM
www.964RS.net
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

another one from the RS Spyder Trip.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Any long hoods???
Old 09-23-2017, 09:10 PM