Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyders in the Wild...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 09:44 PM
Masergss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all for sharing, amazing cars, beautiful settings and miles of smiles on perfect roads and track. I’ll take one in each color combo please!
Old 06-09-2019, 12:17 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Route 243 from Banning

I took a little detour on my way out to Palm Springs today.

There's a stretch of Route 243 that runs from Idyllwild to Banning which has been closed since February when heavy rains and runnoff from a storm created the mother-of-all sink holes on this great two-lane serpentine mountain highway.

What many don't know, and what seems to keep all the traffic away, is that the first 11 miles of Hwy. 243 on the Banning side are still actually open, despite these signs proclaiming the road closed.

Because I think many believe the entire length of 243 is closed, this lovely stretch of tarmac was absolutely deserted today.

I drove 11 miles up to an altitude of close to 5,000 feet, then turned around at the point where the actual road closure begins, and drove 11 miles back down. I did this run three times in total, which added up to 66 glorious traffic-free miles on what is arguably the very best section of Hwy. 243.

Had the whole place to myself. NIRVANA. Doing several up-and-backs breeds familiarity so by the third run there was no hesitation. Full attack mode.

This car continues to astound and with 17.5K miles it feels like it is just now coming into its own.

What an engine this 3.8 is! And the sound. GLORIOUS.

The balance and the way the car remains settled and composed even when encountering drastic variations in road surface mid-corner is remarkable.

Porsche knocked it out of the park with this canyon carver!
Old 06-09-2019, 12:33 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Very cool Nick, I need to get out there and scrub off some of the rubber on m tires!

Spyders are truly amazing and a feast for the senses. Enjoying one on these kinds of roads with the weather that we have had these past couple of weeks is truly heaven.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:20 AM
mitchellc
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I lived in Colton temporarily (about six months), and access to amazing roads in all directions was one of the few redeeming qualities. 243 to Palms to Pines was by far my favorite: Technical, deserted, with many ecological islands along the way. Such a great drive with a top-down car.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I took a little detour on my way out to Palm Springs today.

There's a stretch of Route 243 that runs from Idyllwild to Banning which has been closed since February when heavy rains and runnoff from a storm created the mother-of-all sink holes on this great two-lane serpentine mountain highway.

What many don't know, and what seems to keep all the traffic away, is that the first 11 miles of Hwy. 243 on the Banning side are still actually open, despite these signs proclaiming the road closed.

Because I think many believe the entire length of 243 is closed, this lovely stretch of tarmac was absolutely deserted today.

I drove 11 miles up to an altitude of close to 5,000 feet, then turned around at the point where the actual road closure begins, and drove 11 miles back down. I did this run three times in total, which added up to 66 glorious traffic-free miles on what is arguably the very best section of Hwy. 243.

Had the whole place to myself. NIRVANA. Doing several up-and-backs breeds familiarity so by the third run there was no hesitation. Full attack mode.

This car continues to astound and with 17.5K miles it feels like it is just now coming into its own.

What an engine this 3.8 is! And the sound. GLORIOUS.

The balance and the way the car remains settled and composed even when encountering drastic variations in road surface mid-corner is remarkable.

Porsche knocked it out of the park with this canyon carver!
Old 06-09-2019, 06:08 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

So my latest Euro tour is underway.
day 1, 400 mile blast from home to Reims in France.
day 2, 400 miles down to Lucern via Rhinefalls.

A few pics so far -

on the Eurotunnel -

The old Reims GP Pit Straight -

The impressive Rhinefalls -

Lake Sempachersee (just outside of Lucern) -

This morning the weather has changed a bit overcast, but soon we head south to Italy and Lake Garda, via the San Gotthard Pass.

more to follow :-)
Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like an awesome trip. Keep the pics coming!
Old 06-09-2019, 12:17 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice pics Nick. Love that you are using and enjoying your beautiful Spyder as intended! Noting that you are approaching 20K. That was something I was hoping to see with mine but only got halfway there. Im #1 in line for the next one so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for sharing, pls continue.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Day 3 -
weather not great today as we set off heading for the St Gotthard Pass.... visibility not bad until we hit the top !!

The run down to lake Garda was better...

now 28 degrees by lake...... time for some dinner

Old 06-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

^^Very cool, keep the pics coming.

The visibility issue is something we also experience here in Cali. The rain can make the roads slick on these higher elevations but that’s not the real issue. the real issue is the very poor visibility and potential for rock slides which can result in serious damage or worse.

Safe travels and enjoy the trip!
Old 06-10-2019, 02:15 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Very cool Nick, I need to get out there and scrub off some of the rubber on m tires!
Let me know when you go and we'll meet up!

Originally Posted by mitchellc
I lived in Colton temporarily (about six months), and access to amazing roads in all directions was one of the few redeeming qualities. 243 to Palms to Pines was by far my favorite: Technical, deserted, with many ecological islands along the way. Such a great drive with a top-down car.
+1. Had the top down all the way there, but temps by then were in the mid-90's and I was baking so had to put the top up.

Originally Posted by NelsonF
Very nice pics Nick. Love that you are using and enjoying your beautiful Spyder as intended! Noting that you are approaching 20K. That was something I was hoping to see with mine but only got halfway there. Im #1 in line for the next one so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for sharing, pls continue.
Nelson, hope you are enjoying the GT3 and not suffering any Spyder withdrawal symptoms

FYI, in case you are free on Saturday. Many folks you met from past So Cal Spyder drives will be in attendance.

Porsche Club of America Orange Coast Region presents the 49th Porsche White Glove Concours

Sea Terrace Park
Pacific Coast Highway and Niguel Road
Dana Point, CA

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Gates open at 7:00 a.m. for judged cars and 8 a.m. for display cars.

DIRECTIONS

Northbound from San Clemente or San Diego Region

Exit "Beach Cities / Pacific Coast Hwy 1"

North approx. 3 miles to Niguel Rd (Right)

2nd traffic light / Stonehill Rd. (Left)

Follow signs

Southbound Coastal Orange County:

PCH to Niguel Rd (Left)

All others: I-5 or I-405 South to Crown Valley Parkway (Right)

West To Niguel Rd. (approx. 4 miles) (Left)

To Stonehill Rd. (approx. 4 miles) (Right)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boxster7
So my latest Euro tour is underway . . .

The old Reims GP Pit Straight -

Way cool, Shaun!

To think I visited the cathedral in Reims and didn't even know about the former GP circuit there and this portion of the pits that has been preserved. Ugh!

Continued safe travels.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:21 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Concours

Nelson, hope you are enjoying the GT3 and not suffering any Spyder withdrawal symptoms

FYI, in case you are free on Saturday. Many folks you met from past So Cal Spyder drives will be in attendance.

Porsche Club of America Orange Coast Region presents the 49th Porsche White Glove Concours

Sea Terrace Park
Pacific Coast Highway and Niguel Road
Dana Point, CA

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Gates open at 7:00 a.m. for judged cars and 8 a.m. for display cars.

DIRECTIONS

Northbound from San Clemente or San Diego Region

Exit "Beach Cities / Pacific Coast Hwy 1"

North approx. 3 miles to Niguel Rd (Right)

Follow signs

Southbound Coastal Orange County:

PCH to Niguel Rd (Left)

All others: I-5 or I-405 South to Crown Valley Parkway (Right)

West To Niguel Rd. (approx. 4 miles) (Left)

To Stonehill Rd. (approx. 4 miles) (Right)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Will try to swing by.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:19 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

boxster7 thank you, please keep the pics coming, love Europe and of course Spyders
Old 06-12-2019, 07:15 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Day 4/5 -

So I can highly recommend the Hotel Ocelle in Sirmione, for anyone visiting or planning a ED. Really chilled and great safe garage parking

Had a 2 hour drive to Venice, unfortunately stuck in the Italian traffic for 20 mins in 32 degree heat... so roof went up and ac on... phew.

not happy about leaving the Spyder in the large multi storey car park, but all was well.

Venice was stunning -

Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Day 6 -

So it was back to the driving today.....
leaving my good lady wife at Venice airport.... and collecting my good friend Henry we headed for the Dolomites.

Just for good measure I was overtaken by the only road legal AM Vulcan whilst heading over the bridge from Venice. (I believe it’s been taking part in the Gumball 3000).

(Not my pic.....)

So we headed to Belluno, then up the San Pellegrino Pass and the amazing Passo Rollo.

Again stunning roads and scenery.

Tomorrow we head for Cortina, then across to the base of the Stelvio.

cheers for now

Quick Reply: Spyders in the Wild...