Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling in a 981

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM
augustxke
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Traveling in a 981

My wife and I like to take week long road trips, we currently have a .2 gt3 and a scud. We have been looking for a 991.1 c4s cab. We are in our early 60"s and thought a PDK would be pleasant and a soft top that moves up and down with a button would be a great change. But now that we have looked at the cover of Panorama, the 981 spyder has us hooked. Questions for you that own one: will it store as much gear as the c4s, how rough is the ride, how stiff is the clutch, is the top so inconvenient to use that you don"t open and close it under variable conditions, is the cabin noise so loud that you can not have a conversation or listen to the stereo, is it windy in the cabin with the top down? Thanks for your input.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:52 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Can't speak to the 981 but my wife and I have been cross country in our 987 Spyder complete with sport bucket seats and had no issues and we are both over 70 . Now seeing two older people getting out is not always graceful.

Yes, we had to turn the radio up a little and perhaps talk a little louder but we did 12 hour days and were fine . As for packing, a little forethought is necessary. The picture shows with trailer but we have also traveled with out it. By the way over 28 mpg with the trailer
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2016, 08:16 AM
SMLaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with above for the most part....top is inconvenient but relatively easy to navigate. The top on the 981 GTS, S and base certainly is much easier. The 991 has the back seat that can fits small peeps, bags, and even golf bags that the 981 doesnt't obviously. However the FRUNK is about the same size and the 981 has a trunk for overflow. Road noise is much louder in the Spyder than either the other 981 models and 991; that is not a bad thing when u want to hear the engine but cross country trips may make that annoying.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:48 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

For two people the 981 presents more practical space than the 991. You've got a same size frunk and a great trunk. I say practical space as in the 991 unless you've got young kids the back seats don't see much use other than perhaps the odd grocery bag when the top is down. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 02-01-2016, 04:38 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

please do not hook a trailer to it.

after loading all your wife's stuff you should have room for a couple extra pair of underwear.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:42 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

We drove across the country and then back with no problem and I was impressed with the amount of storage. I felt it was just enough for two people's stuff. One large suit case fit perfectly in the TRUNK and the FRUNK fits two carry on size pieces plus room for another soft bag.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

How do you do a trailer hitch with a center exhaust?????
Old 02-01-2016, 11:54 PM
augustxke
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in Minnesota and 3 hours away from a dealership that has no spyders. Hope to get in one before a purchase. Thanks for the input, I like the way that car looks. We don't need a car for a few months, so we will look closely at both.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:55 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
How do you do a trailer hitch with a center exhaust?????
Not a problem. The hitch female receiver is mounted in the Alum bumper and is hidden behind the license plate. I made a hinged bracket that flips the license plate up to reveal it. On either side of the receiver assembly are female tow hook receptacles where I can screw in standard PORSCHE tow hooks to connect the safety chains. The wiring done by a PORSCHE tech when not in use is stored in the receiver hole.

The male receiver is also alum and unique as it has integral pins ( thus replacing the need to get under and install a pin to hold the male receiver assembly in) and the pins are extended and retracted by a key on the receiver. The key/ lock not only serves to extend and retract the pins that hold the male receiver assembly in but also locks the assembly together.

No issue with the exhaust as I use a bungee cord to keep the chains and wiring harness well above the exhaust. When the trailer is not hooked up you do not see anything of the hitch assembly. I bought some of the parts from a guy in Calif who no longer is doing the hitches.

The trailer is all alum and very light. More important it is lockable. I can easily store four tires and wheels in it. Since it is low I can see right over it from the inside rear view mirror so there is no visibility loss. Trailer is made by Aluma Trailers. Over all the trailer weighs less three hundred lbs and when towing I reduce what I would put in the rear trunk so as not to over load the rear. Car rides level with the trailer on as I would load it and there is not reduction in acceleration or change in cruise RPM even on hills. Stopping distance is adjusted slightly.

Last trip of length was form South Texas to Monterey and back. Over 27 MPG for the trip and it was great at whatever the highway speeds were ( West Texas is 80

Now I will last the Spyder is a PDK car ( My wife does not like to drive stick so a compromise)

Sorry for the length, hope this explains it and I have no regrets as In many cases it eliminates the need for a support vehicle.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:03 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Can't speak to the 981 but my wife and I have been cross country in our 987 Spyder complete with sport bucket seats and had no issues and we are both over 70 . Now seeing two older people getting out is not always graceful.

Yes, we had to turn the radio up a little and perhaps talk a little louder but we did 12 hour days and were fine . As for packing, a little forethought is necessary. The picture shows with trailer but we have also traveled with out it. By the way over 28 mpg with the trailer
That ...trailer .... is .... awesome !
Old 02-02-2016, 10:25 PM
croctor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
That ...trailer .... is .... awesome !

Really awesome!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

I'm sure you get a lot of looks when pulling up at a Porsche event with that setup!

I remember when we towed a 22' enclosed aluminum trailer with our Cayenne S and pulled into the paddock- when unloading the spec Miata racecar, people would walk up and ask if we pulled that trailer with a Cayenne??? Other than a lack of good rear view mirrors, it did great. PASM air suspension was a life saver.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:59 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
I'm sure you get a lot of looks when pulling up at a Porsche event with that setup!

I remember when we towed a 22' enclosed aluminum trailer with our Cayenne S and pulled into the paddock- when unloading the spec Miata racecar, people would walk up and ask if we pulled that trailer with a Cayenne??? Other than a lack of good rear view mirrors, it did great. PASM air suspension was a life saver.
I also tow a Trailex enclosed trailer with a Cayenne and Aero one makes great attachable extended mirrors that work on the Cayenne. I forgot who markets them in the States but they are made by Milenco (Milenco.com) if that helps

Last edited by f4 plt; 02-03-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Traveling in a 981