Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burmester in a 981 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:08 PM
RDF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burmester in a 981 Boxster

Is there anyone in Orange County with Burmester in their Boxster who would be willing to let me listen to it? As you know, finding that option on a car at a dealer is rare.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:32 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Being from Orange County and having a 981 Spyder with the Burmester, I want to help, but alas, I'm in NYC and won't be out there again until the Spring. If you are a serious audiophile and you listen to everything: classic to punk to jazz to pop to classic rock then I would splurge for the Burmester; otherwise, I think you will be fine with the bose.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 199 Posts

I have the Bermester in my 991.1C2S. Order it. I will not have another 911 without it or any other P car for that matter if it is an available option. It sounds ridiculous based on teh price, but it is worth it if you really like music, and I really like music.

The Bose is crap - frankly. I really mean crap. Not the snob in me saying that . . . my BMW's HK system is much better than the Bose.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:30 PM
981spyder
Racer

Can you go to the dealer and try it out? if your using low bit-rate music dont get it, but if your going to put high rate stuff then get it. I had a chance to try them out before ordering and while i wish i could have all my music on a thumb drive i know its not going to happen. Bass feels out of sync in the Bose but everything was so clear in the Burmester. hope that helps
Old 01-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm in Dallas, but seriously, splurge and get it. I have it in both my Boxster GTS and Panamera Turbo and if you love music, it is worth it. In particular I like classical music on Sirius XM and the Burmester system really sounds great. All of my previous Porsche's had Bose. No knock on Bose - I thought it was fine. But I frequently notice the richness of the Burmester and am glad I splurged on it!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:45 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas991
I'm in Dallas, but seriously, splurge and get it. I have it in both my Boxster GTS and Panamera Turbo and if you love music, it is worth it. In particular I like classical music on Sirius XM and the Burmester system really sounds great. All of my previous Porsche's had Bose. No knock on Bose - I thought it was fine. But I frequently notice the richness of the Burmester and am glad I splurged on it!
^^ +1 I have it in both my Macan turbo and Spyder and would recommend it highly. Had Bose in my 991 and would not go back. My 2 cents I'm in Cincinnati
Old 01-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

I have Burmester in my TT and BOSE in the BGTS. The Burmester is incredible with Classical CDs in a parking lot, but the road noise really blunts the enjoyment IMO. I skipped it on the Boxster order mainly because of that.
I think Sirius/XM sounds pretty crappy in both, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

It's just like the full leather interior - once you do it, you will never go back!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:56 PM
kskpsu
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally don't get comments about satellite radio sounding amazing...no matter your hardware, it will be the weakest link. With a higher quality audio source, then I certainly believe the Burm offering a more high fidelity experience.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:48 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

We have it in our Macan and with a FLAC player as source it sounds amazing. I recommend it.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:46 AM
SMLaker
Instructor

I had it in my 981 GTS, unbelievable sound quality, but wasted in that format. I now have Bose in my Spyder and it's pretty darn good, much better than earlier generation Bose systems. I would not choose Burmester again for the 981. I wouldn't have any other system for my Macan, Cayenne, or panamera.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:11 AM
ElusiveDaveH
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 981spyder
Can you go to the dealer and try it out? if your using low bit-rate music dont get it, but if your going to put high rate stuff then get it. I had a chance to try them out before ordering and while i wish i could have all my music on a thumb drive i know its not going to happen. Bass feels out of sync in the Bose but everything was so clear in the Burmester. hope that helps
I agree about the use of the high bit rate music. If you start with garbage in the front end, good equipment will not improve the quality on the back end. XM is disappointing in sound quality for that same reason.

The Burmester does a good job with well recorded CDs but at speed, the road noise will cancel that out. I have a Cayman S with it and on a recent road trip to North Carolina, the Burmester was nice but increased volume levels was fatiguing over the hours. The real benefit is in every day driving where you are going slower and the trip is a shorter duration. I would buy the Buremester again.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:50 PM
croctor
Intermediate

On the highway I drive with my noise cancelling Bose earbuds, IPOD and Apple lossless tunes.
Best open top highway speed solution on the market and considerably cheaper than Burmester.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:38 PM
ElusiveDaveH
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by croctor
On the highway I drive with my noise cancelling Bose earbuds, IPOD and Apple lossless tunes.
Best open top highway speed solution on the market and considerably cheaper than Burmester.
And you would be illegal in most all 50 states
Old 01-29-2016, 08:00 PM
RDF
Intermediate

ForceReconTrojan, what FLAC player do you use and how well does it interface with the PCM?

Quick Reply: Burmester in a 981 Boxster