Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder User's Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:45 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 981 Spyder User's Manual

A thread for 981 Spyder Owners to post about living with their cars.

My car is awesome but the gearing is a little long and somewhat perplexing. I think the gearing lends to a flexible and responsive driving machine; however in suburban or urban driving situations, I find myself skipping gears or I find myself just riding in 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th gear and leaving it there in one gear absentmindedly and using the rather long power bands. Never have I had a car that makes me want to drive through the local mountain pass just for it's own sake -(all the time!), but in daily driving situations I've not established the gearing yet.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:39 PM
SMLaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find I use sport mode 80% of the time for that very reason.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:50 AM
Fiebrudo
Intermediate

The 6 speed manual transmission in the Spyder is such a pleasure to use, that I just like to row through them back and forth just for the pleasure of it with disregard to which gear would be the most appropriate.

Having said that, I do wish the gears where shorter.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:45 AM
RWR
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Master the Manual is 1.5 hour course offered at the Porsche Experience Center for $600 see the link below for a description. I have been wondering if that would be a beneficial course to take for Spyder owners. While I learned to drive a MT before I drove an automatic in the '60s I have had no formal instruction specifically focused on manual transmissions. I am interested in anyone's comments who might have attended this course.

https://www.porschedriving.com/exper...ter-the-manual
Old 01-21-2016, 01:49 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais

My car is awesome but the gearing is a little long and somewhat perplexing. I think the gearing lends to a flexible and responsive driving machine; however in suburban or urban driving situations, I find myself skipping gears or I find myself just riding in 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th gear and leaving it there in one gear absentmindedly and using the rather long power bands. ..........
Though I haven't clocked a single mile yet, your comments sort of echo what I think is in store me: it's gonna be frustratingly long gearing! A lot of drivers may not care much simply because the power band is wide and the torque is plenty. I love to shift! In the S2000, I plan my passing, downshift a notch or two, be ready in the power band and floor it. Even on a super/hyper bike, I downshift when I don't have to. I suppose I can still do that in the Spyder and hit the limiter, conditions permitting! It's all part of the driving/riding pleasures!
Old 01-21-2016, 02:16 PM
981spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by RWR
Master the Manual is 1.5 hour course offered at the Porsche Experience Center for $600 see the link below for a description. I have been wondering if that would be a beneficial course to take for Spyder owners. While I learned to drive a MT before I drove an automatic in the '60s I have had no formal instruction specifically focused on manual transmissions. I am interested in anyone's comments who might have attended this course.

https://www.porschedriving.com/exper...ter-the-manual
based on the description I don't think you would get much benefit from doing this (sorry I miss typed), you might have a blast! but if you want to learn the Porsche stick a little better take an extended drive test at the local dealer.

Last edited by 981spyder; 01-21-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:34 PM
RWR
Rennlist Member

Yes I am afraid that you are probably right. I cut my teeth driving a 1965 Corvette Stingray convertible MT and a 1973 Jeep 3 speed. I have also had in my stable a 1983 BMW 320i MT and a 2000 Mercury Cougar MT. I drive my Macan with a PDK in sport mode 95% of the time so I think what SMlaker said above about driving the Spyder in sport mode makes a lot of sense to me.

BTW I taught my wife of 2 years at the time, how to drive a MT when our special ordered BMW 320i arrived back in August/Sept 1982. It was a painful experience but we are still married some 34 years later! The tall gearing in the Spyder is an interesting issue and I should be able to experience it myself in about 45 days and then I will know more.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:25 AM
Spyder737
Track Day

RWR,

I did the "Master The Manual" in the GT4 in Atlanta.

My reason for doing it was to test the LWB seats, since I originally had my car spec'd with those.

There was no instruction on "Mastering" the manual at all. Just a fun and limited practice time exploring the various driving situations and conditions on the course. Not really a course to "master anything".

I find myself thinking the 7-speed manual on my 2013 Carrera S (the one everyone loved to complain about) to be a little easier to use. Maybe it's a muscle memory issue, but I've gone for that 7th gear overdrive at highway speeds over about 80mph, which of course is not there

In just over 300 quick miles, I've adapted to the differences. It's a great gearbox. You don't need that course. You'll leave with exactly the same skill level you brought.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:07 AM
RWR
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Spyder737 and 981Spyder for taking the time to respond to my inquiry about this course. I am not going to sign up for this course. I will be driving my own Porsche with MT very soon.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

skip the experience center, and book time at the Porsche Driving Academy at Barber. That's the real deal.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:26 PM
981spyder
Racer

yes! the Barber driving school!
Old 01-22-2016, 07:32 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Just wanted to clarify and say clearly that this is the best shifter I've ever used. Short and confident (except for reverse sometimes),the gearbox is a pleasure. And don't get me wrong, nothing is lacking here, I'm just noting this interesting characteristic of this car that amazes me. The tall, quick gearing begs to be explored and I guess civilized street driving is at odds with that sometimes. My car is broken in already, and I've already explored the rev limiter and not on purpose. Anyway, yes, driving school is something I've already talked about and I hope to check that box in the next 18 months at most. Looking forward to hearing more from everyone after your cars arrive and good weather returns. I really wish I could go for a drive this weekend... but mother nature is against me.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Porsche Sports Driving School these days is far better than Barber. Track is great, instructors are great, and all the cars are new Porsches.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:44 PM
RWR
Rennlist Member

I have previously considered the 2 day high performance course at the driving school. Additionally I received a 10% off coupon last August when I attended the Porsche World Road Show but it may be expired. By the way the PWRS was a blast and gave me the opportunity to experience several different Porsche models. My favorites were the Cayman GTS and the Carrera s. Now I have ordered a Spyder. Porsche marketing at its best, I suppose. This show also gave me the desire to attend the Porsche Sports driving School but I have not made that happen yet. I would like to tour the facilities in Atlanta as well, but I digress. I wonder if any of the Porsches at the driving school have MT's? Then, that would be very helpful in driving the MT Spyder as well, I think.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 PM
981spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Just wanted to clarify and say clearly that this is the best shifter I've ever used. Short and confident (except for reverse sometimes),the gearbox is a pleasure. And don't get me wrong, nothing is lacking here, I'm just noting this interesting characteristic of this car that amazes me. The tall, quick gearing begs to be explored and I guess civilized street driving is at odds with that sometimes. My car is broken in already, and I've already explored the rev limiter and not on purpose. Anyway, yes, driving school is something I've already talked about and I hope to check that box in the next 18 months at most. Looking forward to hearing more from everyone after your cars arrive and good weather returns. I really wish I could go for a drive this weekend... but mother nature is against me.
Your right , this is the best shifter I have ever used.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder User's Manual