Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder User's Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 02:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by 981spyder
yes! the Barber driving school!
Originally Posted by il pirata
Porsche Sports Driving School these days is far better than Barber. Track is great, instructors are great, and all the cars are new Porsches.
Just making sure there is no confusion here. The school I referred to was the Porsche driving academy at barber race track. This is NOT the barber racing school 981spyder is referring to.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:55 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I've never done the Porsche Driving School, and would not mean to disparage the value. However as an introductory approach, why not consider a PCA DE? As an amateur there isn't likely to be anything a pro at Barber could teach you that a PCA instructor such as myself couldn't likewise teach. Then once you have a bit more experience and want to get some more sophisticated instruction, go to Barber, or hire pros to coach you at your local track, something I did a lot of at Sebring. Here is a pic of me putting the Spyder through its paces at Sebring a few weeks ago. What an amazing car!
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2016, 03:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

How is it on the track? Any brake fade? Suspension handle well? Chassis flex?.. Give us Spyder owners the scoop.. Should we have gt4 FOMO at the track?
Old 01-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I've never done the Porsche Driving School, and would not mean to disparage the value. However as an introductory approach, why not consider a PCA DE? As an amateur there isn't likely to be anything a pro at Barber could teach you that a PCA instructor such as myself couldn't likewise teach. Then once you have a bit more experience and want to get some more sophisticated instruction, go to Barber, or hire pros to coach you at your local track, something I did a lot of at Sebring. Here is a pic of me putting the Spyder through its paces at Sebring a few weeks ago. What an amazing car!
I have tracked a dozen or so days over the past few years (starting with the two day Porsche course at Barber) and would agree with this statement. At my level, I find that I learn a lot more at my two local (and awesome) HPDE events vs. the Porsche school.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Put it to you this way it was almost as good as my fully race prepped 986S in every way, and obviously better on power as my race car has the stock 3.2 engine. I've not driven a GT4, and would expect a very good driver to find the 4 to be a better track car based on the Motorsport suspension and ability to dial in negative camber. However I can tell you that this car had very little body roll through the turns. It didn't feel quite as competent through the turns as my race car but I have a $7k 3 way adjustable suspension in that car with negative 3 camber up front (GT3 lower control arms) and R compounds so that's to be expected. As for the brakes, I'm a fairly advanced driver so I hit high speeds into the braking zones (close to 140 on back straight and 130 on front straight) and I felt zero brake fade. To contrast, I had to do a lot of mods to my 986S to get brakes that performed this good without fade. To sum it up with the power this engine delivers I will need to exercise great willpower keeping it off the track in favor of my 3.2 powered track car. :-)
Old 01-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

Finished driving 400 miles today. I bought the Spyder on 12/31/2016. Incredible handling and so much fun with the top down. Gear box is simply amazing. So different from the 2015 991 TTS I own. It feels so light and corners so well. I did the Porsche driving school at Barber motorsports in Birmingham in December before I bought the Spyder. With the right driving skills, the Spyder is more fun than than GT4, 911 GTS and 911 Carrera S. The 991 TTS is a different animal as AWD and rear wheels being involved in turns and corners reduce understeer or oversteer. However, topdown the Spyder is truly an experience. The gear box becomes smoother and softer the more you drive. Perhaps it gets better lubricated as you break it in or something but it is much less stiff and tight compared to my first few days of driving it. Can't wait to finish 2000 miles break in period. Love the tall gear ratios that allow freedom to use any gear (1-4) at low speeds. Love the auto blips in sport plus mode that creates such a sharp uprise in exhaust note and with the top down it is simply sweet to hear.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:51 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Love the blue with PCCBs!
Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Raghu
Pro

Thanks Paul. I was very fortunate in finding this combination.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:55 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed you have the top down. I always thought PCA requires top up for the DE's?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skuplist
I noticed you have the top down. I always thought PCA requires top up for the DE's?
I was running that day with Chin. Not sure of PCA rules, but I had thought they allowed top down also.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:50 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghu
............ However, topdown the Spyder is truly an experience. The gear box becomes smoother and softer the more you drive. Perhaps it gets better lubricated as you break it in or something but it is much less stiff and tight compared to my first few days of driving it. Can't wait to finish 2000 miles break in period. ..........
It looks pretty cool! Congratulations, Raghu. Black wheels do look good with Sapphire Blue! In fact, they could be glossier to set it off! Any interesting interior trim options, other than yellow logos on the seats?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stock tires at track day?

Mark, were you running stock tires on your Spyder at the track day? Which brand? Are you able to speculate what the differences would be if you had been running MPSC2 in 245 front and 265 rear?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Raghu
Pro

Originally Posted by the_rider
It looks pretty cool! Congratulations, Raghu. Black wheels do look good with Sapphire Blue! In fact, they could be glossier to set it off! Any interesting interior trim options, other than yellow logos on the seats?
Thanks.
The seat belts are Yellow also. The interior trim including the panels around the navigation and around the driver and passenger area and doors are all blue as well.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:30 PM
Raghu
Pro

Old 01-25-2016, 10:24 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghu
Nice! Pretty cool!

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder User's Manual