Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanical Brake Release Noise on 2014 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:36 PM
KEPetersen
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mechanical Brake Release Noise on 2014 Cayman

My buddy just purchased a beautiful low-mileage (3,400 miles) 981 that appears to have been extremely well maintained. The only troubling issue he has is a constant very audible mechanical clunk-like sound that occurs at low speed upon releasing the brake and only upon releasing the brake.

As the car is under warranty, he's asked his dealer to check it out and their response was that "it is entirely normal with the Cayman" and they referred to it as "brake pad release noise". I've heard it and it is loud and occurs virtually everytime he lifts his foot off of the brake pedal.

I've searched the forum without success (though maybe my keywords were wrong) and I would really appreciate any feedback from the experts here as to whether this is actually normal or if he's being given the runaround. He's really frustrated and is contemplating writing to PCNA for an explanation as to how a Porsche could have allowed such an obvious flaw in its design.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I get that noise backing out of the garage when my car's sat undriven for a while, but never after that when I'm driving the car.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe he should try another dealer.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:30 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by KEPetersen
As the car is under warranty, he's asked his dealer to check it out and their response was that "it is entirely normal with the Cayman" and they referred to it as "brake pad release noise". I've heard it and it is loud and occurs virtually everytime he lifts his foot off of the brake pedal.
Never heard of this. I've done several test drives before buying my car and never heard this sound. I've got ~4500 miles on my CGTS and have never heard this sound. Ask the dealer if you can take one of their demos for a ride and be sure to bring the service manager. I bet they'll change their tune.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:53 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know I've had BMWs in the past that made noise from the pad shifting in the caliper, but I've never experienced it on Porsches. That's not to say that it can't happen.

I like DBH's suggestion. If it's one of those "they all do that" then he should drive another one and see if that's true.

However, most dealerships are eager and willing to fix things under warranty - it's how they make their money. Porsche pays them for it. So, if there was something to fix, they would very likely want to fix it for you. You can try another dealer, or go back to yours and ask for another mechanic to drive the car. Or your friend... whoever. Whomever?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:26 AM
berg meister
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KEPetersen
My buddy just purchased a beautiful low-mileage (3,400 miles) 981 that appears to have been extremely well maintained. The only troubling issue he has is a constant very audible mechanical clunk-like sound that occurs at low speed upon releasing the brake and only upon releasing the brake.

I've searched the forum without success (though maybe my keywords were wrong) and I would really appreciate any feedback from the experts here as to whether this is actually normal or if he's being given the runaround. He's really frustrated and is contemplating writing to PCNA for an explanation as to how a Porsche could have allowed such an obvious flaw in its design.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Did this problem ever get fixed and what was the solution. I've got similar problem.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:32 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Not normal. OP's dealer was not ideal...but I have no idea what the issue could be. It almost sounds like the parking brake has gotten tied into the normal brakes....but I would think that is impossible. ????
Old 07-15-2019, 06:43 AM
berg meister
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by GT4John
Not normal. OP's dealer was not ideal...but I have no idea what the issue could be. It almost sounds like the parking brake has gotten tied into the normal brakes....but I would think that is impossible. ????
Thanks. The OP description is exactly what I am experiencing. Just wondering what the fix was.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:39 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

There should not be any clunk when releasing the brake, especially if it occurs consistently. I would check the caliper bolts to be sure they are tight. Probably a good idea to change brake pads as well.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:50 PM
Gary Jubien
1st Gear

Same for me, 2015 Cayman S.

Quick Reply: Mechanical Brake Release Noise on 2014 Cayman