Notices

987 with 150K miles....

 
Old 01-07-2016, 12:16 AM
  #1  
doridori
User
Thread Starter
 
doridori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 199
Question 987 with 150K miles....

I am considering to buy a 987 with 150K miles.

The current owner is the 2nd owner and he has no maintenance record for the car.

For this mileage, what are the list of services that needed to be done and what are the list of parts need to be replaced?

Thanks
doridori is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 02:01 AM
  #2  
Spokayman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Spokayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Washington- The Inland Empire
Posts: 1,317
Default

With that kind of mileage and no maintenance records there is the possibility of a long list of necessary work.
Clutch/pressure plate, all fluids incl oil, trans, coolant, power steering, etc, brakes including rotors, spark plugs, O2 sensors, water pump, AOS, serp. belt, possibly all coolant hoses, window regulators, suspension parts incl ball joints, rods, struts, drop links, wheel bearings, steering rack, etc.
If the car has had decent maintenance and/or if the miles are long freeway commutes, you may need to only address a few of these issues.
In any case a thorough PPI would be wise, including compression testing the engine, and possibly bore-scoping the cylinders as well.
Without a thorough inspection you cannot really know what you've got.
Some 80K mile cars are fairly worn out while some 150K mile cars can still be solid and serviceable.
Spokayman is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 01:23 PM
  #3  
MJBird993
User
 
MJBird993's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Beautiful North Carolina
Posts: 1,985
Default

Never buy a used car, especially one with this many miles, without a PPI.
MJBird993 is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 04:03 PM
  #4  
Archimedes
Super User
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,514
Default

Originally Posted by doridori View Post
I am considering to buy a 987 with 150K miles.

The current owner is the 2nd owner and he has no maintenance record for the car.

For this mileage, what are the list of services that needed to be done and what are the list of parts need to be replaced?

Thanks
Without knowing what's been done and when, you should simply assume the worst. While a PPI can help identify problems and some maintenance issues, it's not going to tell you everything you need to know from a maintenance standpoint unless you really break the car down. Assume the worst and price accordingly.
Archimedes is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 04:28 PM
  #5  
981spyder
User
 
981spyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 267
Default

Yeap, if you buy a car with 150k miles, its going to need some love.
If your buying a cheap car as a project then go for it, but I wouldn't spend money on an inspection for this car if your looking for a car that's perfect.
981spyder is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 04:53 PM
  #6  
Archimedes
Super User
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,514
Default

BTW, if the second owner you're looking to buy the car from has owned the car for any length of time and he has zero maintenance records for the car, I'd walk away. I'd never buy a car from someone who couldn't document the maintenance history, at least in some fashion.
Archimedes is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 06:11 PM
  #7  
Spokayman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Spokayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Washington- The Inland Empire
Posts: 1,317
Default

Originally Posted by 981spyder View Post
Yeap, if you buy a car with 150k miles, its going to need some love.
Often , but not always. Some members of Rennlist have similar or higher mileage on their cars (I'm talking about mostly 996/997) and they are going strong and in good well-maintained condition.


Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
BTW, if the second owner you're looking to buy the car from has owned the car for any length of time and he has zero maintenance records for the car, I'd walk away. I'd never buy a car from someone who couldn't document the maintenance history, at least in some fashion.
Agreed.
Maintenance history can sometimes be tracked down by querying the last owner about the locations and approximate dates of service he might remember. You can then follow up with the businesses using the VIN and car description to verify service history.
Spokayman is offline  
Old 01-14-2016, 05:15 PM
  #8  
SoCalDan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SoCalDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 126
Default

I recently bought an '07 with 102k miles from the original owner. EVERY service with the exception of tires was completed at original Porsche dealer where the car was purchased. There were some $10K in receipts in just the past year (New clutch, brakes, scheduled maintenance and inspections, etc). The car's condition is exceptional to start with, but regardless, I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have so much proof of maintenance.
SoCalDan is offline  
Old 01-14-2016, 10:37 PM
  #9  
Schmidts Cat
User
 
Schmidts Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Danville, California
Posts: 1,183
Default

Originally Posted by SoCalDan View Post
I recently bought an '07 with 102k miles from the original owner. EVERY service with the exception of tires was completed at original Porsche dealer where the car was purchased. There were some $10K in receipts in just the past year (New clutch, brakes, scheduled maintenance and inspections, etc). The car's condition is exceptional to start with, but regardless, I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have so much proof of maintenance.
Do you mind revealing how much you paid? I have a friend looking at a high mile 07 now... Cayman S
Schmidts Cat is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 987 with 150K miles....


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: