Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 with 150K miles....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:16 AM
doridori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 987 with 150K miles....

I am considering to buy a 987 with 150K miles.

The current owner is the 2nd owner and he has no maintenance record for the car.

For this mileage, what are the list of services that needed to be done and what are the list of parts need to be replaced?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2016, 02:01 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

With that kind of mileage and no maintenance records there is the possibility of a long list of necessary work.
Clutch/pressure plate, all fluids incl oil, trans, coolant, power steering, etc, brakes including rotors, spark plugs, O2 sensors, water pump, AOS, serp. belt, possibly all coolant hoses, window regulators, suspension parts incl ball joints, rods, struts, drop links, wheel bearings, steering rack, etc.
If the car has had decent maintenance and/or if the miles are long freeway commutes, you may need to only address a few of these issues.
In any case a thorough PPI would be wise, including compression testing the engine, and possibly bore-scoping the cylinders as well.
Without a thorough inspection you cannot really know what you've got.
Some 80K mile cars are fairly worn out while some 150K mile cars can still be solid and serviceable.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:23 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Never buy a used car, especially one with this many miles, without a PPI.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by doridori
I am considering to buy a 987 with 150K miles.

The current owner is the 2nd owner and he has no maintenance record for the car.

For this mileage, what are the list of services that needed to be done and what are the list of parts need to be replaced?

Thanks
Without knowing what's been done and when, you should simply assume the worst. While a PPI can help identify problems and some maintenance issues, it's not going to tell you everything you need to know from a maintenance standpoint unless you really break the car down. Assume the worst and price accordingly.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:28 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeap, if you buy a car with 150k miles, its going to need some love.
If your buying a cheap car as a project then go for it, but I wouldn't spend money on an inspection for this car if your looking for a car that's perfect.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

BTW, if the second owner you're looking to buy the car from has owned the car for any length of time and he has zero maintenance records for the car, I'd walk away. I'd never buy a car from someone who couldn't document the maintenance history, at least in some fashion.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 981spyder
Yeap, if you buy a car with 150k miles, its going to need some love.
Often , but not always. Some members of Rennlist have similar or higher mileage on their cars (I'm talking about mostly 996/997) and they are going strong and in good well-maintained condition.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
BTW, if the second owner you're looking to buy the car from has owned the car for any length of time and he has zero maintenance records for the car, I'd walk away. I'd never buy a car from someone who couldn't document the maintenance history, at least in some fashion.
Agreed.
Maintenance history can sometimes be tracked down by querying the last owner about the locations and approximate dates of service he might remember. You can then follow up with the businesses using the VIN and car description to verify service history.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:15 PM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 69 Posts

I recently bought an '07 with 102k miles from the original owner. EVERY service with the exception of tires was completed at original Porsche dealer where the car was purchased. There were some $10K in receipts in just the past year (New clutch, brakes, scheduled maintenance and inspections, etc). The car's condition is exceptional to start with, but regardless, I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have so much proof of maintenance.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:37 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalDan
I recently bought an '07 with 102k miles from the original owner. EVERY service with the exception of tires was completed at original Porsche dealer where the car was purchased. There were some $10K in receipts in just the past year (New clutch, brakes, scheduled maintenance and inspections, etc). The car's condition is exceptional to start with, but regardless, I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have so much proof of maintenance.
Do you mind revealing how much you paid? I have a friend looking at a high mile 07 now... Cayman S

Quick Reply: 987 with 150K miles....