Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Spyder lost the media

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default They say they never throw away anything at Porsche . . .

"I can just see a bunch of old German ladies in a back room feverishly switching all the "8"s and the "1"s with each other"

Hell, who knows! That could be the only thing they'd turn out for us Spyder folks!! LOL
Old 11-25-2015, 10:47 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Well, I feel these Spyder threads are gaining steam with new contributors every week... Honestly not to be crass, but this car seems like a fine toy for the rich which reminds me of the old 356 from the 1950s - the limited information about it reminds me even more of the Porsche of old. I didn't need a magazine or a website to tell me to get excited about this car... media always has an agenda of sorts. This is what I wanted and what I've been waiting for more or less and I knew my dream car was going to come sooner or later. With Porsche there is always something better around the corner, but with CAFE standards and such I knew that the party was going to have to come to an end and this is the NA Porsche swan song for me. I'm just happy that I'm in a financial place to afford such a toy. I'm a week out to taking delivery of my car. Maybe I'll post picts from my cross country trip over the holiday.

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 11-27-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:05 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey
Porsche marketing sent me this by UPS yesterday. Nice box & marketing materials for the Spyder. I own a 2014 981 S I ordered new with X73. I must fit their demos.
I got the same package yesterday. As enticing as this new Spyder is, I am more than happy with my BS for about 2/3 the $$$
Old 11-26-2015, 02:16 AM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
Long term i see this as a good thing as fewer cars made make the Spyder more rare. If Porsche abandons NA engine for the 981 platform I think the Spyder will retain its value best of all of the 981 cars. Remember while there was a 991 based GT3, there were no 991 based Speedster

The Spyder may be the last special edition convertible Porsche will make with an NA engine. Looks wise, I think the 981 Spyder is the best looking current car Porsche has made (of course with the exception of the beautiful 918).
i locked my spydie config yesterday with my dealer. my SA told me quite categorically that he had heard from pcna that there will be no MY2017 spyder. obviously, if true will be the owners of overnight classics. bummer is that, if thats the case, it will be costly to pile on the mileage.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:23 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

Driving Impressions of 2016 Boxster Spyder? Owners? Test Drives?
Old 11-26-2015, 12:46 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey
Porsche marketing sent me this by UPS yesterday. Nice box & marketing materials for the Spyder. I own a 2014 981 S I ordered new with X73. I must fit their demos.

What??? I am the one that should get stuff in the mail... I am the one that paid over 6k in sales tax on a car this year.... They should send me a thank you gift as well.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by taibo
i locked my spydie config yesterday with my dealer. my SA told me quite categorically that he had heard from pcna that there will be no MY2017 spyder. obviously, if true will be the owners of overnight classics. bummer is that, if thats the case, it will be costly to pile on the mileage.
The original Spyder was built for two years with 860 making it into the US over the two years. While it didn't become in instant classic it definitely has held it's value and people remain very interested in them with the right optioned cars changing hands within a short period of time. I suspect the new Spyder will follow a similar trend with fewer being built and that great engine.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The original Spyder was built for two years with 860 making it into the US over the two years. While it didn't become in instant classic it definitely has held it's value and people remain very interested in them with the right optioned cars changing hands within a short period of time. I suspect the new Spyder will follow a similar trend with fewer being built and that great engine.
but there are a couple of factors in favor of the 987 Spyder. The 981 went up in MSRP by about 30%+.

A 50-60k price level is much more affordable and have a larger target market than a 80-90k price level if the 981 Spyder maintains equivalent value relative to MSRP.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:03 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts
Default qa

I agree, the low production numbers combined with the fact that there was no 991 Speedster built means that the 981 Spyder is it for a specialty low production NA open air Porsche.

The reasonably practical top and 3.8 liter engine should also significantly increase desirability. And while looks is a subjective thing I think the 981 Spyder is the best looking Convertible Porsche has made in recent history.

Quite often items that were not appreciated at the time appreciate the most strongly because of their rarity. The 981 Spyder has the looks, the engine and the overall performance to be a highly desirable car especially in this turboed hybrid brave new world we are entering in to

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Old 11-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Goofnik
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
Driving Impressions of 2016 Boxster Spyder? Owners? Test Drives?
Weather permitting, I should have a two-part article coming in a bit less than a month. The first part as to why the Cayman GTS wasn't my unicorn, and the second part being the Boxster Spyder (which I took delivery of on Monday) that hopefully is.

The extra torque is immediately noticeable. You have like 90% or more of the 3.4L's peak torque over around a 4000rpm range. So even though I'm keeping revs low through break-in, the thing just moves regardless of the gear I'm in.

The rear's disposition change is also noticeable, which I can confirm after wearing the mold release off the tires in the past two days. Turn in is noticeably more immediate, but the rear is certainly very eager to move around. To me, this is like an absurdly well-sorted, uber-powerful Miata. I should be able to have a lot of fun at legal speeds (and even below legal speeds) without having to be very deliberate with my throttle inputs. Daddy like!
Old 11-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
What??? I am the one that should get stuff in the mail... I am the one that paid over 6k in sales tax on a car this year.... They should send me a thank you gift as well.
Tell Gov. Kasich he owes you some swag. Porsche didn't see any of that $6K.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:16 AM
Joys4me
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too thought it was very strange...very little and so so press. But owning this amazing variant is amazing! So nice!
Old 11-27-2015, 05:53 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

@Jean " this car seems like a fine toy for the rich which reminds me of the old 356 from the 1950s "

I am not rich... I am an engineer (74 more payments and this car is all mine). This is what I would have made if I could make up anything I wanted. It is way faster than everyone thinks... and the engine is in the right place.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:59 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

and did I tell you about the brakes? Your passengers better wear seatbelts if you plan on using the brakes...
Old 11-27-2015, 11:20 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
and did I tell you about the brakes? Your passengers better wear seatbelts if you plan on using the brakes...
That's what I want to hear.

Quick Reply: 2016 Spyder lost the media