Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 06:24 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
and its closer to GTS than original Spyder with respect to most luxury features etc as evident 18 ways being STD seats.
In Europe buckets are the standard seat.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Goofnik
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I completely agree with the dealer. The blanking shelves are ~$115 from Suncoast. Get the free radio. With the head unit removed, you at most have 3kg of extra weight in the car from speakers/wiring. If for some reason you want a radio, you can simply pop it in.

It's why I actually ordered DZ climate control. Odds are, like the Miata, I'll never use the A/C[1]. Getting the A/C is free. Adding the DZ (mostly for the simplified controls) is cheap. However the cost to add A/C to a car that never had it is a big four-digit number. Removing the A/C and refrigerant later (and replacing the controls with the appropriate blank) is a far cheaper endeavor.

I also took the net in the footwell (to store a barf bag for a passenger), and the wind deflector. Why? Free.

Know what my first weight reduction step was? Me. 171 -> 142. 150lbs more will come out of my Boxster Spyder over the years, but me losing the weight means I can keep the BOSE stereo (16lbs total I think) forever installed and never feel guilty about it.

[1]I used the A/C in the Miata five times in 8.5 years. In all of those cases, because I had a whiny passenger in the car.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:14 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Delete or don't delete, but this half way stuff seems dubious - who exactly are you trying to fool (stated not in a snarky way)?
Old 11-28-2015, 04:11 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Delete or don't delete, but this half way stuff seems dubious - who exactly are you trying to fool (stated not in a snarky way)?
Trying to fool someone is not the motive. Have gone with the halfway house option! Main reason is that I don't want the radio but the dealer is very keen to have it to make it easier to sell. I have a deposit down with him for a next-gen RS so I need them to want this car in 2-3 years' time. They're like hen's teeth in the UK so I need to do all I can.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:54 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make it simple.
What will you notice more? The fact that your car is lighter because the radio + wiring + speakers aren't there, or the fact that the center console has a shelf instead of a radio?

Base radio is free, you want the "without radio" look and you'll never notice the difference in weight anyway. Get the base radio and have them remove the HU. End result is the same, cost is the same, everybody happy.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:19 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Trying to fool someone is not the motive. Have gone with the halfway house option! Main reason is that I don't want the radio but the dealer is very keen to have it to make it easier to sell. I have a deposit down with him for a next-gen RS so I need them to want this car in 2-3 years' time. They're like hen's teeth in the UK so I need to do all I can.
i didn't get that dealer buy back part so apologies. Just get the radio or have the head unit removed and boxed on the side.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:12 PM
220volt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am completely with OP on this one. I too never listen to radio and hate looking at it. It sounds and looks ugly IMO. I'm a minimalist, so love the clean spartan look that blank would give. I might remove CDR24 on mine as well and install a blank. Purely for cosmetic reasons.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:38 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 220volt
I am completely with OP on this one. I too never listen to radio and hate looking at it. It sounds and looks ugly IMO. I'm a minimalist, so love the clean spartan look that blank would give. I might remove CDR24 on mine as well and install a blank. Purely for cosmetic reasons.
Nice!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:54 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

on second thought, who needs a radio, I would rather listen to my wife talk.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 AM
donoman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get the radio delete will the speakers and the wiring still be in the doors? Saving weight becomes very expensive and many people (me) will spend hundreds (edit: thousands) for parts like lightweight battery, lightweight wheels, lightweight seats.

I say it's your car, order it the way you want.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:11 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Order it the way you want it. Why compromise to make someone else happy?

While the majority of the weight will be in the head unit, the speakers and wiring do account for several pounds of extra weight. The doors will look the same - they will have a speaker grill, but that's all.

A friend of mine totally stripped his Cayman R, including removing 'extra' wiring throughout. The weight savings was substantial. Just the ducting from the A/C was around 8 pounds if I remember right.
AC removal is actual weight savings, something like 40lb.. but he's talking about the stereo.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:39 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CAlexio
AC removal is actual weight savings, something like 40lb.. but he's talking about the stereo.
I'm gonna end up getting the stereo in a carrier bag so I'll weigh it for you guys. Standard stereo has 4 speakers and the PCM one which necessitates Sound Package Plus, has 9. Speakers are quite heavy as they contain large magnets. When it's out of warranty I might go crazy with it!

Quick Reply: Radio delete