Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearview camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:00 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the factory camera in my Cayenne and love it. I saw this video (quite detailed) and was thinking of adding this setup to my Boxster which has PCM. Any thoughts out there on using this in Boxster?

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ion-video.html
Old 11-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

I'm pretty picky about stuff and it's perfectly adequate for me. I found my '13 Boxster impossible to back up confidently in. I'll be very happy if the one in my BGTS - that's still sitting in Davisville - works the same as this one.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:23 PM
SMLaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I went for a ride today. Remember this is a iPhone photo of the screen with the sun shining on it and then compressed and emailed. It looks better in person but I think this should give you some idea of the OEM camera in my TT. I'm satisfied and, as I said, the lines are right on where they indicate.
Daytime is fine...dusk, night, and rain is the issue
Old 11-25-2015, 04:26 PM
dakargelb
Intermediate

I have the camera on my BGTS - mainly as I have to back into a garage not much longer than the car, shared also with the 993 to one side. I'm actually quite happy with the camera - it helps a lot when I need it to. The main problem in the UK is that road filth soon collects on the lens and obscures any view you might otherwise get!
So basically you often need to stop and get out to clean the lens before you can use the camera to park up...
Old 11-25-2015, 07:06 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I'm pretty picky about stuff and it's perfectly adequate for me. I found my '13 Boxster impossible to back up confidently in. I'll be very happy if the one in my BGTS - that's still sitting in Davisville - works the same as this one.
Do the lines match up to each side of the car? On my aftermarket camera on the GT3 I had lines but they didn't match up to the sides of the car.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
Do the lines match up to each side of the car? On my aftermarket camera on the GT3 I had lines but they didn't match up to the sides of the car.
I would say pretty well, you do need to maintain situational awareness.
As far as rain, that's also a problem on my wife's A6 and my Tundra as well - if the lens is obscured by rain, dirt or whatever the picture is crummy. I have had no problems at dusk or night.
Daily cleaning is part of my drill in winter.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:59 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
I believe the lines match up to where the tires would be on the road
Old 11-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Fiebrudo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by navanoD
Nice!!! Thanks for posting this. Is it the best backup camera out there? No. Is it the worse? No. I think some people expect more than others.... And some complain more than others.

Bad camera

Good camera

Guess which one belongs to the Boxster Spyder?

Maybe there is something wrong with my particular camera. I'll have to waste my time and drag myself to the dealer to have it checked.

Navano, wish you had been my organic chemistry professor in college! Life would have been so much easier! Can you say "easy A"
Old 11-26-2015, 11:59 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

can the display be made to show the rear camera view when the car is not in reverse?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:40 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiebrudo

Bad camera

Good camera

Guess which one belongs to the Boxster Spyder?

Maybe there is something wrong with my particular camera. I'll have to waste my time and drag myself to the dealer to have it checked.

Navano, wish you had been my organic chemistry professor in college! Life would have been so much easier! Can you say "easy A"
LOL my first thought after scanning your post was that I prefer the top picture then I realized that was the "bad" one.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:07 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

The rear-view camera of the Spyder does not have IR leds I guess?

Quick Reply: Rearview camera