Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:27 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

If I could lose 40 pounds it would be even faster
Old 07-12-2017, 12:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
How much additional power are you guys making on the 981 Spyder w/ tune and exhaust? Butt dyno differences?
There is good data in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=924008&page=6

If you're asking butt-dyno.. it's transformative. Literally unleashed the engine to its full-potential, much more linear power surge to redline, fuller midrange, and above 4K rpm, much better throatier sound. It's how this engine should have been if there wasn't a 911 to keep the taps on it.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:25 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
There is good data in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=924008&page=6

If you're asking butt-dyno.. it's transformative. Literally unleashed the engine to its full-potential, much more linear power surge to redline, fuller midrange, and above 4K rpm, much better throatier sound. It's how this engine should have been if there wasn't a 911 to keep the taps on it.
Yessssss. Butt dyno is all that matters! Dyno numbers mean nothing to me besides comparing a prior dyno run to the new dyno run (on the same dyno, same calibration).
Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Man, the matte white gold goes really well with the subtle Porsche decals.

I like this so much better than the plasti-dipped bronze.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by laranja
Man, the matte white gold goes really well with the subtle Porsche decals.

I like this so much better than the plasti-dipped bronze.
Haha, that was all a fun experiment.. wheels got plastidipped red since then, removed and back to normal, and now paint. I think end result will be shiny clearcoat as the current setup looks too flat.. I really want to mimic the RS color and I think that will make the difference.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

@ calexio, what tire mounting machine do you own?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
@ calexio, what tire mounting machine do you own?
I don't own one.. I don't have a shop, just a customer, why?
Old 07-14-2017, 10:28 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

around here, it costs 35 bucks to remount and balance each tire on a rim. you seem to do that a lot, so I figured you had your own equipment. heck, I do everything myself Except tires... If I had an extra 2500 buck for the mounter and balancer I would do that too...
Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
around here, it costs 35 bucks to remount and balance each tire on a rim. you seem to do that a lot, so I figured you had your own equipment. heck, I do everything myself Except tires... If I had an extra 2500 buck for the mounter and balancer I would do that too...
no, this is the first time i've done it. other times was tire changes, OR, autodip which doesn't require removiing the tire at all, just masking.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:09 PM
Masergss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the new look with wheels. Tastefully unique!!! I vote to stick with this combo.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:01 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

She is back with gloss clear on the gt2 RS white gold wheels and I'm in love all over again.

The combo of GT silver with Carbon accents and the RS color wheels looks perfect to my eyes, and I dare say, for real this time.. the modifications are done.

I've reached the point where every tiny item I looked at one day 1 back in January 2016 when I got her home has been modified to fit my idea of what she should have looked like. I was driving home along hwy 1 on the coast tonight, orange California sunset in my eyes with a and a true sense of satisfaction. I started making a mental list of all the mods:

PERFORMANCE:
Fabspeed Sport Headers
TB/Intake
Cobb + Custom Protune Map
Sharkwerks BMC high flow air filters
Wider and taller 245/35/20 & 285/30/20 tires

-the engine mods were a revelation in turning this into a super responsive and more robust, torquey, almost racecar sounding engine which now pulls hard all the way to redline, with a much faster revving and more free character. The new tire size is what this car should have had all along, slightly more compliant over bumps and able to put down the power better. I Highly recommend this combo, especially for anyone who wants to uncork this engine's full potential.

EXTERIOR AESTHETICS
-white gold GT2 RS color painted wheels.. an homage to the first boxster concept car.
-centercaps painted black
-gt4 side scoops painted gt silver bodycolor then PFF'd, then flat carbon wrapped.
-rear spoiler and windshield surround also flat carbon wrapped
-entire front end wrapped in suntek PFF + rear and lower side skirts
-white MICHELIN tire stickers.
-silver PORSCHE side stripe decals

INTERIOR AESTHETICS
-917 Le Mans replica shift ****
-pepita seat cover inserts

Rough Modification Cost Estimate: $10,000 give or take a bit.

Smiles/Mile every time I drive her?.. priceless.

hopefully, a very special GT3 is coming home soon.. and I'm still trying to figure out how to keep them both. The issue lies in the extreme difficulty finding garage space with a flat entry for one sports car, let alone 2 Porsche's plus my daily wagon plus 4 ducatis. I've got a few months to figure it out, and as getting rid of this Unicorn would be heartbreaking, the search is now on in earnest.
Attached Images      
Old 07-19-2017, 05:02 AM
legin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good infact really good. Swap for a GT3. 2 hmm not sure on that one.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:04 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up Calexio, it's been cool to follow your journey in getting to this point.
If I find myself keeping my Spyder long term (which I think I will), I will definitely be doing some of these mods on mine too. Especially the engine upgrades.

But the big question.......
So GT3 incoming.... surely a very cool car, but do you feel the drive will be better as a road car than the Spyder ??
Looking at where you live with the awesome surrounding and weather, won't you miss than open air experience. Plus the awesome noise and mid engine handling????

I'm still loving the Boxster vibe and currently don't see me changing up (sideways) to a 911.
I see regular 911's as more Grand Touring cars these days, with the GT cars more track cars, with too much performance for regular road use.
I think the 981 Spyder is the sweet spot for fast, exhilarating sports car for road use and occasional track play.
I completely agree that if you are able to keep the Spyder and then add the GT3 you are set up in Porsche heaven. An awesome car for any occasion:-)

What ever you do, keep on doing your own thing and sharing your P journey.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2017, 09:56 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work! Car looks awesome. Let us know what happens with the GT3. My Spyder is staying stock for now but nice to know it can be turned into a racecar if I want to. Hadn't thought of the tyre thing but like the sound of it...
Old 07-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
She is back with gloss clear on the gt2 RS white gold wheels and I'm in love all over again.

The combo of GT silver with Carbon accents and the RS color wheels looks perfect to my eyes, and I dare say, for real this time.. the modifications are done.

I've reached the point where every tiny item I looked at one day 1 back in January 2016 when I got her home has been modified to fit my idea of what she should have looked like. I was driving home along hwy 1 on the coast tonight, orange California sunset in my eyes with a and a true sense of satisfaction. I started making a mental list of all the mods:

PERFORMANCE:
Fabspeed Sport Headers
TB/Intake
Cobb + Custom Protune Map
Sharkwerks BMC high flow air filters
Wider and taller 245/35/20 & 285/30/20 tires

-the engine mods were a revelation in turning this into a super responsive and more robust, torquey, almost racecar sounding engine which now pulls hard all the way to redline, with a much faster revving and more free character. The new tire size is what this car should have had all along, slightly more compliant over bumps and able to put down the power better. I Highly recommend this combo, especially for anyone who wants to uncork this engine's full potential.

EXTERIOR AESTHETICS
-white gold GT2 RS color painted wheels.. an homage to the first boxster concept car.
-centercaps painted black
-gt4 side scoops painted gt silver bodycolor then PFF'd, then flat carbon wrapped.
-rear spoiler and windshield surround also flat carbon wrapped
-entire front end wrapped in suntek PFF + rear and lower side skirts
-white MICHELIN tire stickers.
-silver PORSCHE side stripe decals

INTERIOR AESTHETICS
-917 Le Mans replica shift ****
-pepita seat cover inserts

Rough Modification Cost Estimate: $10,000 give or take a bit.

Smiles/Mile every time I drive her?.. priceless.

hopefully, a very special GT3 is coming home soon.. and I'm still trying to figure out how to keep them both. The issue lies in the extreme difficulty finding garage space with a flat entry for one sports car, let alone 2 Porsche's plus my daily wagon plus 4 ducatis. I've got a few months to figure it out, and as getting rid of this Unicorn would be heartbreaking, the search is now on in earnest.

You can keep it my garage on the east coast and so you have bi coastal cars to drive!

Quick Reply: Spyder Modifications