Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:13 AM
thegunguy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in seeing how your pepita inserts look. They should be nice complement to the Spyder.

Great thread.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

My only planned mod is clear side markers, though if there are Sport Techno wheels with the right offset for the Spyder, I'll probably swap the stockers out for those. Love the way ST wheels looks and think they would look epic on this car.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:23 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

I did full front and rockers Xpel and Clearplex windshield cover for protection.
If you are going to do this, the sooner you do it the better.
I turned the car in with 22 miles on the odo and already had a couple windshield rock impacts dammit.

Walt
Old 02-23-2016, 11:25 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

As for modifications I'm installing the TPC DSC tomorrow. Really like how it has transformed my 997 Turbo S!

Walt
Old 02-24-2016, 12:15 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
As for modifications I'm installing the TPC DSC tomorrow. Really like how it has transformed my 997 Turbo S!

Walt
The what?... You must have a gt4 right? PASM... Let us know how it works
Old 02-24-2016, 05:21 AM
Alex@PE
Former Vendor

You have a great set of modifications lined up! Can't wait to hear further updates as you progress through the list.

If you're interested in considering another ECU tune option, we're the North America Distributor for mcchip-DKR Software Optimization. They're a German software developer that tunes some very competitive and successful Porsche race and street cars.

There is a decent amount of power to be gained from the ECU with the proper maps calibrated. We have a few Spyders and GT4s around the world running the tune with good gains, both with/without aftermarket headers.

If this piques your interest, we can definitely share more info!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

some points on the pepita fabric modification.

the amount of fabric ordered ended up just under what was needed. i could either wrap around the sides on the seat, or wrap around the sides on the back rest, but not both. this means that we had to add a little bit of fabric to the sides of the backrests, which while invisible was bothersome.

also, there is a little piece of rubber which clamps the bottom seat cushion to the carbon bucket.. that is very hard to replicate so my installer had to carefully unstitch it from my alcantara seat covers and add it to my new pepita covers. this is not ideal.. i'm going to contact Lear (manufacturer) to see if they will sell me the little rubber attachment so I can have my alcantara covers intact to switch out.

the passenger seat bottom padding does not come out, unlike the driver's side. this is not really an issue but don't try to rip it out like the driver's side. you can bring a seat back and the the cushion from the drivers side to the upholstery shop for them to fit the pepita covers to your seat.

these will be finished by friday when I'll post pictures.

I also ordered the dual center stripe from Ki Studios today.. flat black center with red outline.. should go wheel with the black and red accents on the rest of the Spyder... I'll post a pic when we are done.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
My only planned mod is clear side markers, though if there are Sport Techno wheels with the right offset for the Spyder, I'll probably swap the stockers out for those. Love the way ST wheels looks and think they would look epic on this car.
Any idea if the 991 LED clear sidemarkers will fit the 981 Spyder?
Old 02-25-2016, 09:12 AM
Patrick Bateman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Any idea if the 991 LED clear sidemarkers will fit the 981 Spyder?
yes they do
Old 02-25-2016, 03:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received my GoPro tow hook mount. Rennline set me up with a makeshift post which is a bit too long, but at least I can use it while we wait for their gt4-sized length to get manufactured.

Pepita inserts get installed today, will post pics.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2016, 02:09 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
yes they do
Thanks - will have to remember to pull those off.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

First fitment test.. Overall looks quite good.

A few points to mention:
-the fabric is quite thin, whereas the alcantara stuff is stiff. The seat bottom has a concavity to it, and the alcantara sits nicely without floating. The pepita fabric is thin and soft, so it needs to be stretched, or a small amount of padding adding to make the seat bottom slightly convex or flat. We think stretching it is not a good option although it will probably stretch over time.
-there is a thin rubber strip which sits on the front end of the seat cushion and folds under the seat... The upholsterer couldn't find a replacement so he unsewed this strip from my alcantara covers and attached to the pepita. I wasn't too happy about this but he showed me how easy this is to reattach so I feel ok with this arrangement. I'm going to contact the seat manufacturer to see if j can source these.

I'm attaching pics from my phone so I cant put them in order and comment on them but I'll edit later from pc.
Attached Images          

Last edited by CAlexio; 02-26-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:28 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The Pepita looks awesome
Old 02-28-2016, 11:37 AM
981spyder
Racer

not a performance mod, or cosmetic, i finally got around to installing the backup camera. I got the same Nav tv kit with a different camera and everything works well.
i used this guide :
http://plenums.blogspot.com/2014/12/...rear-view.html

Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 AM
RWR
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

CAlexio I was a skeptic when reading about your pepita plans. I'm no longer a skeptic as it looks really nice IMHO.

My first mod on Friday when I picked up my Spyder was to install the clear LED corner lights. I did so late that night in the parking lot of a Fairfield INN. I am very happy I did as a it is definitely a great cosmetic change. However, I also like the glow of the yellow LED's at night!

Quick Reply: Spyder Modifications