Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F430 Spider 6 speed manual or 981 Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 09:15 AM
berkeley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F430 Spider 6 speed manual or 981 Boxster Spyder

This is meant to be a fun question guys, don't overanalyze and take it too seriously. And perhaps it is just too early given the number of Boxster Spyder delivered. I am stuck in a crappy and muggy city in Asia and I am trying to keep my mind entertained. So, on the back of the article comparing the 360 vs the 987 Boxster Spyder...

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/boxster...ari-360-spider

If you can only choose one fun convertible, so this will be an occasional weekend fun toy and not a daily driver, and you can only choose ONE of the two, would you choose the F430 Spider, the last of the gated 6 speed manual (yes, I know there are a handful of Californias with 6 speed manuals), or the last of the naturally aspirated Boxster in the Spyder?

Yes, I know the price difference. Let's disregard that. And let's just assume you are so loaded that you can actually afford both but only have one more spot in your garage. (But if you so insist to have both, let's hear an interesting argument why)

Which would be more fun? It seems the F430 will be more exciting with the noise and the torque of the V8, and SEEMS to be the obvious choice... BUT...

Performance wise, is the F430 a clear cut choice here, or is the new 981 Boxster Spyder good enough to overcome that? Has anyone driven both?

Or does the F430 attract so many negative attention that all its positives attributes are negated by them?

Does "driving the slower car faster" is more fun than "driving the faster car slower" apply here?

Care to share your thougts, Rennlisters?

I don't bother posting this in FChat... I can already imagine the responses there
Attached Images   
Old 11-19-2015, 11:48 AM
zorgg
Advanced

Hi,

The F430 is a fairly old car now. The coupe F1 lap time on the Nordschleife was 7.55 (the Spider should be a bit slower) in 2006. The Boxster Spyder makes it in 7.47 !!
In terms of noise, not sure that the F430's V8 sounds really better than the Spyder's flat 6, given the various reviews.
However, regarding price, a F430 - as second hand - is now cheaper than the Spyder, and, yes, the brand prestige of the Ferrari is probably higher. But for the rest, there is no debate, the Spyder wins against the Spider... After all, we are on a Porsche chat ;-)

Thomas
Old 11-19-2015, 11:53 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

f430 has strong points but for any all used f cars out of warranty...particularly before the 458, be sure to have checkbook on standby to write unexpected 5 figure repair checks...
Old 11-19-2015, 12:05 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the opportunity to drive a F430, and not just a block around a dealer.

I'm sorry but that was just awesome. No way I'd pick any Boxster over that. Didn't drive the 981 Spyder (obviously) but no, no way.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:24 PM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zorgg
Hi,

In terms of noise, not sure that the F430's V8 sounds really better than the Spyder's flat 6, given the various reviews.
However, regarding price, a F430 - as second hand - is now cheaper than the Spyder, and, yes, the brand prestige of the Ferrari is probably higher. But for the rest, there is no debate, the Spyder wins against the Spider... After all, we are on a Porsche chat ;-)

Thomas
I still remember the first time I heard the 360 coupe engine scream inside a Berkeley tunnel back in 1999. I don't think any flat 6 comes even close. I would buy the Ferrari and put away $25,000 for repairs.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:25 PM
jehu999
Intermediate

I haven't driven either one but own both a Porsche and a Ferrari. So here goes a somewhat unbiased view.

1- Repairs for the Fcar are expensive, more than a Porsche. However the F430 maintenance is a lot less than older Fcars...no belts to change and no engine out maintenance.

2-Buying a used Fcar takes some homework. You should learning about the flaws inherent with that particular model (fairly good info in buyers guide in Forza mag). You'll want service records as far back as you can get. Most owners want an unmolested car (no mods). Any reported or discovered history of accidents is enough to make people look to another car. Must have a PPI done by a reputable shop.

Since you're only weekend driving, miles are not an issue, I'd get the F430, especially a 6sp mt. here's why:
-exclusivity
-sound
-looks
-depreciation (6sp mt Fcars are going up as we speak)
-most Fcars are not tracked but used as weekend cars so even used it may not have many miles or abuse
-every time you drive it, it's an event

This is maybe more than you wanted to know but hope it helps. Happy hunting and keep us posted.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

finding a manual F430 is a tough task... did you? what is premium over F1 transmissions at the moment?
Old 11-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

i've driven in Italy F430 Spider with robotic gear box.
all was perfect in this car - the sound, the throttle response, the suspension, the steering, the high 8,500 rpm limiter.
brakes i couldn't really check.
interior is pretty crapy. but who cares.
the car was a real thrill.

i can believe that 981 Spyder is a better car.
but it's hard for me to believe that it can beat that thrill.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Winegums
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you'll come across a MT Ferrari very often in the future. As a weekend fun car I think it trumps the Spyder in both sound and specialness, (is that a word?). Since it's a weekend fun car that won't be tracked you shouldn't be worried if it's faster than X car because it simply doesn't matter.

Pick the car that makes you feel special and makes you want to drive it.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 PM
jehu999
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zorgg
Hi,

The F430 is a fairly old car now. The coupe F1 lap time on the Nordschleife was 7.55 (the Spider should be a bit slower) in 2006. The Boxster Spyder makes it in 7.47 !!

Thomas
I'm not sure about your pricing of a convertible F430 6sp MT. I see Spyders ranging mid 80's to 104k. I doubt you could find a no stories F430 for that.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:14 PM
zorgg
Advanced

Sorry, you're right... The premium to get a 6 sp MT is now quite high. The pricing I was referring to was for a F1 model.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

Interesting comparo.

Overall performance I think the nod would go to the Spyder.

Styling, while the Spyder has a somewhat exotic look, its not a Ferrari. Ferrari always wins on styling.

Ferrari will grab more attention but I would imagine a Spyder in Red or yellow wouldn't go unnoticed either.

Exhaust, Again nothing sounds as good as a Ferrari NA V8. Well maybe the V12

The only caveat I see is that Ferraris all seem to have very low miles whereas there are original aircooled 911s with 300k plus miles still going strong. So if you like to pile on those miles you might be safer with a Porsche.

Frankly even is I was using a car just for a weekend I wouldn't want to be self conscious about miles or where I park which I think favors the Spyder

A well sorted low miles F430 MT spyder will run 120-150 for a 6 or 7 year old car which is near 2015 GT3 money.

All in all, unless you're a Corvette fan, I think a nicely optioned Spyder at 95K is is the best specialty open air semiexotic drivers car you can get south of 150K new.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:51 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have driven a Ferrari on a track and they are great. I just have a hard time spending that kind of money on a 10 year old car. The Porsche is a manual and faster than the f430. Ferrari's depreciate dramatically with miles added. I don't want a car that sits. How people have 10 year old cars with 5,000 to 10,000 miles makes no sense to me.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are talking about buying, I chose the 981 Spyder even though I could have got the F430.

Why? Because the Spyder is my DD and I want warranty and reliability.

I can drive to most places without having to worry about overly unwanted attentions (you still get good attentions in the Spyder though).

If it is about just driving a car for 1 day I will choose the F430.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:21 PM
berkeley
Intermediate

Default Which one is more fun?

Gentlemen, I appreciate all your thoughts. But if this is to be a fun car, not a daily, and the purpose is to choose the one who will bring the biggest smile on the owner's face after the drive, which would you choose?

Perhaps one way to look at it is this, forget the financial aspect of it. Think of it as you are on holiday in Southern California and you are given a choice of the two for one week end. Consider the negative attention each car may or may not bring, which would you choose that would make the week end with the car filled with pleasant memories.

Neither car will be tracked. They will be used for pure open top joy rides only.

I had a 986 back in the day and in 30k miles of driving over 3 years, I never experienced any negative attention. I am very fond of the 981 Spyder. But a manual F430 tempts me. I think on public roads, performamce may be similar, though the V8 has more power and torque, albeit with more weight.

My memories of the 986 is fun, worry free driving. I am quite sure the F430 manual will be fun. I worry about the 'worry free' aspect of it.

Quick Reply: F430 Spider 6 speed manual or 981 Boxster Spyder