Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder as daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by SMLaker
I've always had the 18 ways eats and loved them, also the most comfortable seats I've had on any car. Love the look of the sport buckets, but worried about the comfort on my day trips to the mountains. You obviously have not found them too rough?
Most definitely not. The seats are very comfortable and the cushion does a great job of reducing the smaller bumps. In the mountains I think you'll find the seats to be less fatiguing since they are designed to keep you in place so you spend less time trying to hold your body in place and thus are not as tense going through hard corners.

I have had a history of owning cars with harder suspension FWIW and I find the Spyder to be one of the most comfortable and by far the most capable fun cars I have ever owned.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:22 AM
sho-one
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, I think the car would look bad *** as a TARGA, keep the pylons in the back and add a removable hard top in the middle.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sho-one
To be honest, I think the car would look bad *** as a TARGA, keep the pylons in the back and add a removable hard top in the middle.
918 spyder
Old 11-23-2015, 12:42 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by sho-one
I stated this over a year ago... 914 style... where you can store it in the rear when not in use... can even be made of fabric like the 991 Targa to save weight.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:56 PM
sho-one
Advanced

lol damn it
Old 11-23-2015, 04:28 PM
SMLaker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fiebrudo
Have being driving the Spyder with the top up (getting cold around here). Very airy feeling. You can see the support mechanism, struts and so for, but it gives the car a purpose, honest identity. Noise level is not overwhelming. Definitively I can envision if your commute is short, to go to work with the top up, return home with the top down. Certainly the car can be enjoyable with the top up, and (by the way) I love (love love love) the looks of the car with the top up. (As well as with the top down)

So, I'm changing my mind, I think (as long as you know what you are getting into) that the car is suitable as a daily driver (specially if crossing a canyon is par of your commute)

The fact is that you want to drive the car everywhere! Hope it doesn't snow too much this winter.
The weather isn't too bad here in the southeast...I've managed it with a 991 C2S, and now a Boxster GTS, so I think that'll be ok. Suspension wasn't near as rough as I thought it would be.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:39 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I'm probably soft, but I've found the air flow through the cabin to be a bit much on a cool evening. It was in the 60's last night, and a bit uncomfortable even with the seat heater on. It was 47 degrees this am, and I kept the top up on the way to work. I don't remember my 02 Boxster S being this drafty. I will invest in some ear muffs. :-)
Old 11-23-2015, 06:38 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I'm probably soft, but I've found the air flow through the cabin to be a bit much on a cool evening. It was in the 60's last night, and a bit uncomfortable even with the seat heater on. It was 47 degrees this am, and I kept the top up on the way to work. I don't remember my 02 Boxster S being this drafty. I will invest in some ear muffs. :-)
Your getting soft...first cars and coffee in November I pulled out of the garage and the top down...23F. Did have to drive carefully with summer tires though.

The 981 Spyder is way more buttoned up then the 987.2 Spyder.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I'll try to man up. Just drove home now after sundown, temps in mid 60's. Had a jacket on with the collar turned up. Seat heaters on and climate control at 80. It worked for me!

The sounds this car makes. Holy you know what! Especially when going under an overpass. Wow.

The acceleration, while not quite in the 996 TT league, is more satisfying to me given the linearity combined with the raucous exhaust note. And I say this given that I'm not taking it to redline during break in period. I am probably pushing a hair above 4000 from time to time though. :-)
Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being able to drive with top down on cool nights is the main reason I am sticking with the regular seats. Having heated seats is hard to give up.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
Being able to drive with top down on cool nights is the main reason I am sticking with the regular seats. Having heated seats is hard to give up.
I hope that those Amazon-sources seat heat pads work for my LWB's... Nothing as clean has having a factory seat heater button, but at least those of us with LWB can get the functionality back. Seat heating is a must in a convertible.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:23 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I'll try to man up. Just drove home now after sundown, temps in mid 60's. Had a jacket on with the collar turned up. Seat heaters on and climate control at 80. It worked for me!

The sounds this car makes. Holy you know what! Especially when going under an overpass. Wow.

The acceleration, while not quite in the 996 TT league, is more satisfying to me given the linearity combined with the raucous exhaust note. And I say this given that I'm not taking it to redline during break in period. I am probably pushing a hair above 4000 from time to time though. :-)
It will be a while before we see 60's in the evening...like April.

The exhaust is killer.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:17 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

the spyder requires nice roads - roadkill and potholes are issues...

mine gets about 8 mpg

and everyone wants to race or take pictures... it causes a scene...
Old 11-24-2015, 11:22 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be more a function of where you live and traffic. I know in Houston I wouldn't use it as a daily driver. If you live off highway 1 on the west coast well that's a different story.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:05 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder

and everyone wants to race or take pictures... it causes a scene...
Really?? Does it look that different from a boxster in real life?

Quick Reply: Spyder as daily driver