Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder as daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:05 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiebrudo
As a daily driver, I think it all revolves around the roof. Are you willing to open and close the manual roof at least 4 times a day?

I though so.
Doesn't exactly seem like a crazy chore.. Is the answer supposed to be "no"?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Fiebrudo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 3 days in a row, it is starting to get old.

This is not a Miata roof (unfortunately)

Having said that, most people I see driving around in their convertibles drive with the roof deployed, and only retract the roof on Sunday's, so in that case, is more forgiving if that is your strategy.

To me, this car is meant to be driven with the roof down. So what to do once you reach your destination? Leave it open (pick your poison: thief a, birds, rain, leafs)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:00 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had verts with mechanical roof. Not too big a deal.

If you have safe garages at home and/or work you save a couple rounds, too.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:56 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

That's why you should have 3 Porsche's.

#1. For the family drive
#2. For the high performance drive
#3. For the convertible drive

Walt
Old 11-17-2015, 11:46 PM
SMLaker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm a big fan of the sport buckets, they are very comfortable and supportive. My wife has also commented that they are very comfortable and we have trips up to 7 hours with out issues.

The buckets also bring a another level of connecctedness to the car, you now only get the feedback from the steering but you also feel like you are connected to the car while still comfortable.

My only gripe is that they top portion of the seats angles in too far and my shoulders feel like they are being pushing forward slightly. I think the newer seats may have addressed this.
I've always had the 18 ways eats and loved them, also the most comfortable seats I've had on any car. Love the look of the sport buckets, but worried about the comfort on my day trips to the mountains. You obviously have not found them too rough?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:08 AM
sho-one
Advanced

Traded in my 14' Cayman S today, and test drove the Spyder the dealer had on the lot. Here’s my short review.

The basic seats were actually very comfortable and the car was amazing to drive. I think the base seats are more comfortable my 18-way I had in the Cayman. With the memory feature and the ingress/egress feature, I’d order the standard seats over the 18-way if I wasn’t able to get the LWBs. I sat in the GT4 with full buckets practices getting in and out. With my small ***, getting in an out is not an issue. You do sit very upright in the full buckets, but they were very comfortable. I'd prob get a small pillow for lumbar support on long drives. The CF on the LWBs are amazing. After sitting in the GT4 with LWB and CF trim, I changed my order from black Aluminum to CF to complete the look. I didn't go for the CF shifter cause then I would lose the alcantara shift boot.

The power difference between my Cayman S and the Spyder is definitely noticeable. The 3.8 revs sooo freely and I was not in want for more power. The engine sounds a little different as well. I didn't have sports exhaust on my Cayman S, and was worried it might be too loud. My worries were for not. The exhaust sounds amazing with sports exhaust on and I don't think I'd ever turn it off.

Speaking of noise, it was slightly rainy out so I did not get to enjoy the top down. With the top up, the noise level was a lot quieter than I expected. My S2000 was way too loud with the top up. I ended getting the hard top just to listen to music. Not an issue here since the car sounds amazing, but you can def enjoy the radio with the top up.

Interior wise, the demo I drove had deviated stitching and extend leather. It was very luxurious and a definite must have for me. The upper surfaces of the door and alcantara make the car feel even more special. Surprisingly, the Spyder felt like a smaller car than my Cayman S. I don't know if it was the lower suspension, the rag top, the absence of the space created by the Cayman’s hatchback, smaller steering wheel (which is the perfect size and feel), it felt more Go-Kart / S2000 like which translated into making the car feel smaller dimensionally wise while driving (even though it is longer than the Cayman S physically).

PDK vs Manual: I went with PDK on the Cayman when I started going to track days more. However, after a 2 years I miss driving stick. Something about using your left foot and being truly connected to the car. The weird thing is I missed driving stick more for day to day then on the track. The shifter feel and clutch were amazing on the Spyder. Very similar to the S2000 in feel. I love the short throws and the solid feel of the gates. The clutch is very forgiving as well. It feels solid without slack. My M3 and Z4M shifters felt like crap, when I first got them it was like driving with a broomstick for a shifter. I had no previous experience with Porsche manuals, but Honda manuals were the best to me. I think the Spyder manual (and the GT4) are just as good.

Every time I buy a new sports car (~1.5-2years) , I tell myself that this one is a keeper. This time I think it may actually be true. After the test drive, I haven't had this feeling of awe in a long time. This will be my first new bestoked sports car, all my other cars were used because it’s more financially smart. With limited availability, I had to get exactly what I wanted. I love this car and can't wait till mine arrives in spring. No car payments in winter when my cars usually go into hibernation.

Damn, I can't stop thinking about how good the car felt.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:38 AM
SMLaker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm a big fan of the sport buckets, they are very comfortable and supportive. My wife has also commented that they are very comfortable and we have trips up to 7 hours with out issues.

The buckets also bring a another level of connecctedness to the car, you now only get the feedback from the steering but you also feel like you are connected to the car while still comfortable.

My only gripe is that they top portion of the seats angles in too far and my shoulders feel like they are being pushing forward slightly. I think the newer seats may have addressed this.
Originally Posted by Fiebrudo
As a daily driver, I think it all revolves around the roof. Are you willing to open and close the manual roof at least 4 times a day?

I though so.
It's a good point, but I only raise and lower the roof on average 2x/day. Still an inconvenience, but may be worth it.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:49 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sho-one
.... You do sit very upright in the full buckets, but they were very comfortable. I'd prob get a small pillow for lumbar support on long drives. ....
Thanks for the review, sho-one. Sitting upright is the precise reason why I passed up the buckets. I like just a little lean back (careful-enough not to impact seat belt safety). It's a screw-up on the part of Porsche not having lean-adjustability as a requirement. Unless you have a specific back issue, one shouldn't need to use an extraneous piece for support; if you do, it's a wrong seat!!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:09 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Traded in my 14' Cayman S today, and test drove the Spyder the dealer had on the lot. Here’s my short review.
Speaking of noise, it was slightly rainy out so I did not get to enjoy the top down. With the top up, the noise level was a lot quieter than I expected. My S2000 was way too loud with the top up. I ended getting the hard top just to listen to music. Not an issue here since the car sounds amazing, but you can def enjoy the radio with the top up.
I'm appreciating all the little reviews. This one gives me peace of mind in regard to cabin noise and the ability to hear music. I'm very much looking forward to driving my car. If anyone wants to comment on Brake Pedal Feel that would be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The basic seats were actually very comfortable and the car was amazing to drive. I think the base seats are more comfortable my 18-way I had in the Cayman. With the memory feature and the ingress/egress feature, I’d order the standard seats over the 18-way if I wasn’t able to get the LWBs. I sat in the GT4 with full buckets practices getting in and out. With my small ***, getting in an out is not an issue. You do sit very upright in the full buckets, but they were very comfortable. I'd prob get a small pillow for lumbar support on long drives. The CF on the LWBs are amazing. After sitting in the GT4 with LWB and CF trim, I changed my order from black Aluminum to CF to complete the look. I didn't go for the CF shifter cause then I would lose the alcantara shift boot.

The power difference between my Cayman S and the Spyder is definitely noticeable. The 3.8 revs sooo freely and I was not in want for more power. The engine sounds a little different as well. I didn't have sports exhaust on my Cayman S, and was worried it might be too loud. My worries were for not. The exhaust sounds amazing with sports exhaust on and I don't think I'd ever turn it off.

Interior wise, the demo I drove had deviated stitching and extend leather. It was very luxurious and a definite must have for me. The upper surfaces of the door and alcantara make the car feel even more special. Surprisingly, the Spyder felt like a smaller car than my Cayman S. I don't know if it was the lower suspension, the rag top, the absence of the space created by the Cayman’s hatchback, smaller steering wheel (which is the perfect size and feel), it felt more Go-Kart / S2000 like which translated into making the car feel smaller dimensionally wise while driving (even though it is longer than the Cayman S physically).

PDK vs Manual: I went with PDK on the Cayman when I started going to track days more. However, after a 2 years I miss driving stick. Something about using your left foot and being truly connected to the car. The weird thing is I missed driving stick more for day to day then on the track. The shifter feel and clutch were amazing on the Spyder. Very similar to the S2000 in feel. I love the short throws and the solid feel of the gates. The clutch is very forgiving as well. It feels solid without slack. My M3 and Z4M shifters felt like crap, when I first got them it was like driving with a broomstick for a shifter. I had no previous experience with Porsche manuals, but Honda manuals were the best to me. I think the Spyder manual (and the GT4) are just as good.

Every time I buy a new sports car (~1.5-2years) , I tell myself that this one is a keeper. This time I think it may actually be true. After the test drive, I haven't had this feeling of awe in a long time. This will be my first new bestoked sports car, all my other cars were used because it’s more financially smart. With limited availability, I had to get exactly what I wanted. I love this car and can't wait till mine arrives in spring. No car payments in winter when my cars usually go into hibernation.

Nice review...keenly waiting for mine. Have to look into the CF trim a bit more now...
Old 11-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

the first car i bought and my first Porsche was a used 84 Carrera Targa. Of course I was in my 20s at the time but I think that was the most fun car I owned. Damn near killed me several times and the top was a bit of a pita not to mention the truck like stick and lack of power steering. But oh was it worth it.

If it wasn't for the 3.8L engine I would probably stick with the creature comforts of a GTS but throw in a 3.8 6 and pita roof or not, I'm sure every time i hit the gas I'll say worth it.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:45 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Agreed! Pita top worth the 3.8 in a 2900 pound roadster!
Old 11-21-2015, 03:57 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
That's why you should have 3 Porsche's.

#1. For the family drive
#2. For the high performance drive
#3. For the convertible drive

Walt
Oh boy I'm trying to make it with just 2 Walt! Macan Turbo and Boxster Spyder to cover #2 and 3!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
I'm appreciating all the little reviews. This one gives me peace of mind in regard to cabin noise and the ability to hear music. I'm very much looking forward to driving my car. If anyone wants to comment on Brake Pedal Feel that would be appreciated.
Brake pedal feel: Light pressure is adequate to engage significant braking capacity.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:26 AM
Fiebrudo
Intermediate

Have being driving the Spyder with the top up (getting cold around here). Very airy feeling. You can see the support mechanism, struts and so for, but it gives the car a purpose, honest identity. Noise level is not overwhelming. Definitively I can envision if your commute is short, to go to work with the top up, return home with the top down. Certainly the car can be enjoyable with the top up, and (by the way) I love (love love love) the looks of the car with the top up. (As well as with the top down)

So, I'm changing my mind, I think (as long as you know what you are getting into) that the car is suitable as a daily driver (specially if crossing a canyon is par of your commute)

The fact is that you want to drive the car everywhere! Hope it doesn't snow too much this winter.

Quick Reply: Spyder as daily driver