Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Boxster Spyder Rear Trunk Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:15 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
Default 2016 Boxster Spyder Rear Trunk Issue

I have a message into the dealer but am checking here as well.

I am having an issue with opening the rear trunk.

The only way the rear trunk lid will open is if I hold the unlock the vehicle button down long enough to engage the first step in putting the top down (unlocks the latch, opens the rear trunk and lowers the windows).

The unlock the rear trunk button on the key and the pull button by the drivers seat do not open the trunk.

The front trunk works fine.

I assume it has to be some kind of programming but cannot find anything in the manual or online.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:46 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what is happening makes sense

if you open the rear trunk lid, it lifts up and away from the rear roll hoops .. if the front of the roof was not unhinged, you would not be able to open the rear trunk lid due to the 2 "ears" holding you back.

I wonder if unclipping the "ears" allows rear trunk lid to open without unlatching the front?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:13 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by sfo
what is happening makes sense

if you open the rear trunk lid, it lifts up and away from the rear roll hoops .. if the front of the roof was not unhinged, you would not be able to open the rear trunk lid due to the 2 "ears" holding you back.

I wonder if unclipping the "ears" allows rear trunk lid to open without unlatching the front?
might be it...I thought I read somewhere about someone opening the trunk partially to put something in the trunk.

In any case will check when I pick up the car today from the detailer and report back.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe what you describe is the correct procedure.

To get into the rear trunk with the roof up, you need to unlatch the hood to release the tension. I believe then you can partial open the hatch.
When the roof is down the rear trunk release buttons should work as normal.

Be interested to hear if the above is correct.

My car is due early Dec
Old 11-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

You're trying to open the trunk with the top up, correct? As noted, the rear truck is not accessible with the top up. What you're describing, unlatching the top, is the cheater way to get access without taking the top fully down. It allows you to open the truck around half way with no damage if you're careful.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:43 PM
il pirata
Banned

I can confirm, at least on my Spyder, that you need to unlock the roof in order to get into the rear trunk. Sounds simple but to unlock the roof, you have to go through the "start to drop the top procedure", which means the electrical roof latch unlocks, the windows open and the rear trunk unlocks. Not a great procedure if it's raining, high winds, etc.

I am guessing the electrical roof latch unlocked is what allows the fob unlock the rear trunk button or the pull latch by the driver door to open the rear trunk, as I started the drop the roof procedure, then pushed the rear trunk back down, and then unlocked with the fob unlock the rear trunk button.

First impression is it's a little off...you should be able to unlock the rear trunk with the roof on, the tension is only applied when you lock the rear trunk. Or I am missing something...
Old 11-06-2015, 08:06 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

I do remember seeing or hearing something similar to this during some of the launch video's. Seems like a pain if you want to grab or store anything quickly in the trunk, but I guess you can always you use the front storage.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
tension is only applied when you lock the rear trunk. Or I am missing something...
The rear trunk isn't a simple hinge, the lid moves rearward and up as it opens. Hence it does put rearward tension (and pulls the roof open) when you open the trunk.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:56 PM
T2Cruiser
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed PVB, the latch has to be open to relive the tension, and opening with the wings attached will pull the roof open. Best to unlock the wings before opening the trunk. This takes a few seconds. When I started to open the trunk with the wings attached, it definitely didn't feel right.

Needless to say , the fr-unk is way more convenient.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:16 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Can the vehicle be driven with the wings connected to the back piece of the soft top as opposed to being fixed to the body? I ask because in a situation where it starts to rain with the top down it may save a few seconds not having to fix the wings which on this version seem more of a styling design vs design and function on the original spyder.

Also is there a Top locking feature i.e. In the top unlocking using the key fob the trunk pops, roof unlatches and the windows crack open. Can the top latch lock and the windows close by holding the lock on the kefob

Thanks guys
Old 11-07-2015, 09:58 AM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by Petevb
The rear trunk isn't a simple hinge, the lid moves rearward and up as it opens. Hence it does put rearward tension (and pulls the roof open) when you open the trunk.
Thanks Pete...always have good info.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:05 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

someone with a spyder feel like making a great little instructional video?.. almost tough to visualize.

all that plays in my mind is... just use the frunk.. just use the frunk.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:23 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by JPMD
Can the vehicle be driven with the wings connected to the back piece of the soft top as opposed to being fixed to the body? I ask because in a situation where it starts to rain with the top down it may save a few seconds not having to fix the wings which on this version seem more of a styling design vs design and function on the original spyder.

Also is there a Top locking feature i.e. In the top unlocking using the key fob the trunk pops, roof unlatches and the windows crack open. Can the top latch lock and the windows close by holding the lock on the kefob

Thanks guys
First question the answer is verboten.

Second question no, at least as far as I have tried. You have to insert the fob, turn right one position so power is on, and pull the button to close the latch. You can do this from outside the car.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:29 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by CAlexio
someone with a spyder feel like making a great little instructional video?.. almost tough to visualize.

all that plays in my mind is... just use the frunk.. just use the frunk.
Here's one that is pretty good.

The two parts that take a bit of getting use to are finding where the button for the latch on the fins are and folding the fin. Everything thing else is easy. Putting the top up is very quick.

Right now I would the say the latch on the fin MAY be a repair issue longer term.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:29 PM
pkumar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just delivered one of these cars.

you can't pop the rear trunk w/the roof mechanism locked. You can open it with it unlocked. Use the frunk when you need to store anything.

Quick Reply: 2016 Boxster Spyder Rear Trunk Issue