Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: 987.2_023 - PDK 3.8L X51 Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have any final Dyno numbers to post for this build ?

Cman21
Old 01-17-2016, 07:17 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman21
Do you have any final Dyno numbers to post for this build ?

Cman21
Since it's a PDK car and we only have a 2wd dyno here, I can't get an accurate number on my dyno. I am able to unlock the ability to dyno a 981 but not yet a 987. Having done several builds of this type i estimated the rwhp to be around 370. I actually have a device that allows me to enter parameters for drag coefficient, frontal area, weight, gearing, tire size, etc. and it usually spits out within 2hp of what our Dynojet says. For example, it confirmed what we know is true on the dyno of the GT4 by telling me that it makes 388 HP at the crank on track at Daytona. Today it didn't let me down...the numbers coming off the ECU from the road test were 372 rwhp and 295 lb/ft.

The car is stout, sounds great, is nimble, stops well and is truly what a Cayman R could have been if the Cayman revolution started during the 987 years.

She is all ready for next weekend's GT4 shootout at Sebring during Winterfest. Thanks for following along!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted

Last edited by Schmidts Cat; 01-20-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:47 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The things that the Smurf has over this car would only be the X51 cylinder head porting and the mufflers that were on the car when it arrived. Morgan really wanted 450 and to get there we ported the heads because we had lots of time and I spent days trying to make the 911 firmware work.

The R firmware modified to expect more air is an advantage of this build over Morgan's car. In addition, the longtube manifolds make a few more lb/ft of torque vs his intermediate length style manifolds.

I would expect the cars to be within 10HP. The guys did a really good job using the stock rubber rain guard on the intake to muffle the sound a lot in the cabin. It doesn't make near the cabin noise.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

deleted

Last edited by Schmidts Cat; 01-20-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:35 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Amazing car!
I'd trade my not-yet-arrived GT4 for that in a heartbeat!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

he needs a bigger wing!!!
put one one.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Sweet build !

Cman21
Old 02-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Cman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Since it's a PDK car and we only have a 2wd dyno here, I can't get an accurate number on my dyno. I am able to unlock the ability to dyno a 981 but not yet a 987. Having done several builds of this type i estimated the rwhp to be around 370. I actually have a device that allows me to enter parameters for drag coefficient, frontal area, weight, gearing, tire size, etc. and it usually spits out within 2hp of what our Dynojet says. For example, it confirmed what we know is true on the dyno of the GT4 by telling me that it makes 388 HP at the crank on track at Daytona. Today it didn't let me down...the numbers coming off the ECU from the road test were 372 rwhp and 295 lb/ft.

The car is stout, sounds great, is nimble, stops well and is truly what a Cayman R could have been if the Cayman revolution started during the 987 years.

She is all ready for next weekend's GT4 shootout at Sebring during Winterfest. Thanks for following along!

How did the car perform at Sebring ?
Cman21
Old 02-11-2016, 11:40 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cman21
How did the car perform at Sebring ?
Cman21
I can let the car owner chime in as I believe he is subscribed to this thread. This car has gotten a workout when you consider it was finished no less than 3 weeks ago and then was driven to/from Sebring (as every "Daytona Special" was intended), ran on track Sat/Sun at Winterfest with PBOC, and then got shipped 1 week later to go on track in Northern California last weekend.

The report was that the improvements made after Sebring were a big improvement. I drove the car with the stock sway bars, lowering springs and aftermarket control arms but i thought it was a bit too positive on the front end and a bit too loose / had too much oversteer on throttle at corner exit at exit. The power obviously was more than sufficient but I suggested wider rear rubber and maybe more rubber overall but along with a factory PCNA front 997.2 GT3 sway bar to calm down the rear end... we threw the front bar on at our shop prior to pickup. We ran it on track Sat at Sebring and it hiccupped once but after i re-set the adaptations (which i didn't do before the initial road test) everything was fine and has apparently been ever since following last weekend's event on the left coast. We had to rig something up given that the aftermarket lower control arms were angering the active headlight system but those were the only 2 issues.

A few people drove it that follow this thread.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:36 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates from the owner on how it performs? Great job with the build.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:17 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just found out today that production for the 997.2 3.8L DFI motors in complete form has ended; only short block motors without heads, intake, etc. are available going forward. When i dug deeper i found that values for the 987.2 Cayman R / Boxster Spyder 3.4L motors are now higher than they have ever been, making this swap cost less than it has in previous years.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:13 PM
Metcalfe
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just found out today that production for the 997.2 3.8L DFI motors in complete form has ended; only short block motors without heads, intake, etc. are available going forward. When i dug deeper i found that values for the 987.2 Cayman R / Boxster Spyder 3.4L motors are now higher than they have ever been, making this swap cost less than it has in previous years.
What does pricing for one of these swaps run? 2012 "S" model. Feel free to PM. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2021, 01:02 AM
Rob Zerbe
1st Gear

You are however correct though as most customers didn't report a problem until they tried to run more than :20 on track. Keep in mind that these guys are running cars in brutal track environments like Colorado where the altitude is high, Nevada or So Cal where they're in the high desert and Florida/Texas where ambient temps are brutal.
I moved from AZ where I was running street tires and having no issues to Colorado where I decided to run NT01s ... I’ve managed to turn my rear calipers a beautiful burgundy and put the PDK into limp mode a couple of times ...

I upgraded the rotors and rebuilt the calipers, and I THINK that issue is solved (I’ll be adding the GT3 ducting, ASAP) Still seems to get crazy hot, but it’s not fading anymore.

This thread is a gold mine for me, I’d love to bend you ear about the cooler. She’s mostly a street car, with a track event or two a month in the summer. I’m not looking for hard core modifications, but I’d love to protect and preserve the PDK

It’s a 2010 S with PDK, sport chrono, and LSD

Last edited by Rob Zerbe; 05-05-2021 at 01:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Snakebit (05-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Build Thread: 987.2_023 - PDK 3.8L X51 Cayman R