Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage find on a 987, immaculate but .....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 12:20 PM
32fFront38Back
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question garage find on a 987, immaculate but .....

Trying to understand how much risk is in a car with 33400 miles but hasnt been driven in over a year & could be a few years wo any driving (odd but true). I would be 6th owner. Current owner for 12 years. No history of damage. Starts right up and sounds solid wo any smoke. TPC inactive code & does need new tires. Am I a fool to even consider buying this potential gem? Its just been sitting ... for who knows how long. Seller believes it worth 30% more than fair condition on KBB. Any thoughts would be SUPER helpful as Im not a mechanic BUT talented at sourcing product.

My one thought is I spend just about $950 flying across country to see it and drive it a few hours away to dealer for an 'inspection' + miss 3 days of work:

The yellow 718 ... a gem or someone elses problem?

My newest fleet addition ... 2006 tan interior.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:39 PM
cyclingismylife
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 53 Posts

That's not a 718, it's a 987 Cayman.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:41 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 360 Posts

That's not a 718. It's a 987 Cayman. You'd have better luck in the 987 forum.

There are plenty with far fewer miles than that. Whether it's been driven in the last 12 years or not, seals, hoses, belts will have deteriorated. While I don't think it would be necessary to replace them all, some will certainly need replacement. Like any used car, an inspection will probably yield a list of things to address. After you address those things, you'll probably find more that needs to be addressed.

It's cliche and may or may not apply in this case depending on the year and the specific engine. My understanding is that the 987.1 has a risk of IMS bearing failure and correcting it requires dismantling the engine. I can't tell if that's a 987.1 or 987.2. I would certainly check on that. If it is susceptible to that failure I'd have the oil analyzed looking for metal.

Also, I think those are susceptible to bore scoring. I'd have the cylinders scoped looking for that.

I'd only buy it if the IMS wasn't an issue and a scoping of the bores didn't reveal any scoring. Then I'd plan on replacing the tires, key belts, and key hoses and perform a 40,000 mile service. Doing all that will probably cost you $5k if there is nothing particularly wrong.

The 987 forum will give you better info.

And on the grey car, do yourself a favor and take the 718 off the doors. People that know nothing about the marque won't care. People that know anything about it will feel compelled to tell you it's wrong.

Last edited by sanderabernathy; 03-27-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:10 PM
Joe250
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 55 Posts

Why fly out and do the PPI yourself? Find a Porsche dealer or independent Porsche shop near the seller's location. Call and ask them for pricing and availability for a PPI. Make it clear that you will be the one paying for the PPI and that they are to send the results directly to you.

Tell the seller you would like a PPI done there and that you will cover the cost. Give the seller the shop contact's info and let them deal with the logistics. No PPI, no deal.

Old 03-27-2023, 02:42 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,326 Likes on 1,913 Posts

I changed the title to reflect 987 vs 718 and moved to the 987 forum.

Goof luck
Old 03-27-2023, 11:25 PM
vivaleduc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dealt with the owner of that car...made them an offer, it was accepted and then seller (actual owner) turned into a full jackass...I wasted a ton of time arranging for flights, inspections...and the owner couldn't have be more rude if he had wanted to...basically told me to show up and buy it...no inspection after agreeing to an inspection. Also, the car has driven 1k miles in the last 10 years...not 1 year.

however, if you ask enough questions...then you'll see who you're dealing with and it will all make sense. Great looking car, the IMS isn't a big deal but bore score on the S is definitely an issue, you 100% want to have the engine scoped.

I ended up buying a different car...at the asking price and having to deal with the seller...the car makes no sense....

Last edited by vivaleduc; 03-27-2023 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:27 PM
livfreely
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default I don’t see an issue

I believe that is a 2008? If so you can read all about 987.1 “issues (bore score)” with the S models. Get the inspection and have them check for bore scoring. If it checks out, and you can come to terms with the seller (assuming it’s a manual car). Buy it!

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2023, 07:46 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

My concern with this one would be the IMS bearing. I say that strictly because of it sitting for so long.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:03 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

Based on @vivaleduc 's comment, you would not be the first person to walk away from this one.
I believe current thinking is that the IMS bearing is a very low probability failure on the M97 engine in this car but it might be a poster child for bore scoring i.e. lightly driven car.
I'm personally not a big fan of low mileage cars, unless you are a collector. Since keeping the engine healthly benefits from routine maintenance and upkeep, especially keeping fresh oil in the car, I would worry that the mindset that leads to the car not being driven would also lead to routine maintenance being shortchanged. Unless it comes with solid service records, including yearly oil changes, I would move on.

Old 03-29-2023, 01:08 AM
vivaleduc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is a 2007....if anyone is interested in buying the car, I was able to find an awesome mechanic that is willing to do a PPI including a scope...I love yellow cars so kinda bummed out about passing on the car. I also pulled the CARFAX...clean, it does have several buyers but if I remember correctly, most of the miles happened early on by 2 owners...and the latest two are the deceased father that owned the car for the last 10 years (1k miles) and the son that as far as I know isn't driving the car.

Quick Reply: garage find on a 987, immaculate but .....