Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 04:38 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet
Did you do the work with the battery connected? I have replaced 3 wheels and always had the battery disconnected. I never got the airbag light on, although I have the tools to clear the light anyway.
Sounds like the connector wasn't fully seated, so as soon as he turned the ignition on (wether or not the battery was disconnected during the install), the airbag light popped.

Not sure what a 'handover' procedure is, but pretty much any semi-advanced OBD tool should be able to reset the airbag light. Even the loaners at your local auto parts store.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Miike
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah battery was disconnected. I'll see if I can get it reset at my friend's shop.

Thanks for your help guys, and great tutorial. It's so much fun with the paddles like this!
Old 10-29-2016, 07:40 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

I was just able to complete the transformation following the instructions and love the result! I also used the resources below. I actually had to do the airbag procedure 4 times as the steering wheel I got did not have the top dead center mark. Each time the PASM disable occurred and it fixed itself as soon as I rolled 100 ft.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...ic-997-cayman/

https://www.macarbon.com/index.php?p...d=1&Itemid=391
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2016, 07:36 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Great video... well done

Updated: I just did the steering wheel swap and it was as easy as depicted here. One thing - to keep from mounting and remounting of that wheel, mark the top of the column accurately. Ask me how I know :-)

Last edited by ocgarza; 11-12-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:39 PM
drb930
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Also...

I recently ordered these anodized aluminum paddle shift extensions from a seller on eBay. They ship from China (boo) so they will undoubtedly take a while to get here, but I'll post up pictures and impressions once they arrive. They are custom made for the AMG paddles, not a generic paddle extension. I do find the stock AMG paddles to just be a bit on the small side, plus I think I mounted mine just a tiny bit too far inboard, so I'm hoping these improve the feel just a bit more.

"plus I think I mounted mine just a tiny bit too far inboard"

Did you mean by this statement too close to the steering wheel rim it self, or too far away from the steering wheel rim?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-22-2017, 04:43 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

'Inboard' means closer to the hub / further from the rim
Old 02-22-2017, 04:48 PM
drb930
Rennlist Member

'Inboard' means closer to the hub / further from the rim
So where you mounted yours in post #18 is better?
Do you think it would be the same for a 996 wheel?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-22-2017, 04:54 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Originally Posted by drb930
So where you mounted yours in post #18 is better?
Do you think it would be the same for a 996 wheel?

Thanks,
Dave
For me, my positioning in #18 was perfect. It may vary slightly for drivers with smaller or larger hands. Mine are slightly larger than normal for a 5'10" man.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:56 PM
drb930
Rennlist Member

For me, my positioning in #18 was perfect. It may vary slightly for drivers with smaller or larger hands. Mine are slightly larger than normal for a 5'10" man.
Do you have any idea how much room there is fore & aft to make the decision without ending up with a gap?
Old 11-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Cayman5
3rd Gear

Default Dash Lights

You indicate in your wiring diagram to "ignore the yellow wire in the harness that's for the dash lights". Does this mean the gear indicator on the dash no longer works or the wire is not necessary for the indicator lights to work?
Old 11-16-2017, 05:04 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cayman5
You indicate in your wiring diagram to "ignore the yellow wire in the harness that's for the dash lights". Does this mean the gear indicator on the dash no longer works or the wire is not necessary for the indicator lights to work?
Everything works correctly afterwards, there is zero loss of function, including the gear indicators.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:05 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Originally Posted by drb930
Do you have any idea how much room there is fore & aft to make the decision without ending up with a gap?
There is maybe half an inch to move inboard or outboard.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:03 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman5
By dash lights I mean the dimmable dash illumination lighting, same as what lights up the radio, gauges, buttons, etc. Since there is nothing to be lit up on the revised steering wheel, no need to connect the wire to anything.

It has no impact or relevance to the gear indicator on the dash.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Cayman5
3rd Gear

I finally decided to give this a go. My wheel has all of the audio/phone controls on it so I decided to just modify the one I have and leave the tiptronic non-functional buttons alone. Upon opening it up, there are a lot more wires coming from both sides and I can't just toss the harness. I think, at the end of the day, if I splice the up/down wires from the paddles to the appropriate wires going into the plug in connector and splice in the black to the ground (leaving the original connection because of other functionality), it should be good. My concern is that both sets of wires go into a black box under the airbag mounting bracket and once that happens, who knows what happens to the colors. Anyone have any experience with this on the conversion? Also, white appears to be more dirty yellow.

Mark
Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 AM
Cayman5
3rd Gear

Clarification. The sets of wires coming from each set of buttons on the wheel both go into a black box and out come wires that go to the yellow connector that gets plugged in under the air bag. What happens in that black box is what concerns me. Are the red/white/black that come out of it the same as what is referred to in this post.

Quick Reply: DIY Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion