Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide on wheels for new 981S

Old 10-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Can't decide on wheels for new 981S

Ordering this week and need to make decisions. I'm down to questions on suspension (see my post on whether to PASM or not to PASM). Now I know I'm going with 20"s but not sure whether to go with Carrera S or Carrera Classic wheels. The S wheels are bright silver - would they not contrast enough with a GT silver car? Would they show more brake dust than the Classics (although I could easily replace stock with dustless pads)? Here are pics of each - love some input on what would work best with GT silver over black/black top. The Classic wheels look a bit bigger - although not sure the S wheels are 20"s in the car pic. I appreciate your opinions. Thanks.
Attached Images     
Old 10-04-2015, 05:06 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... Tough call. Love both wheels on the boxster.
Have the Carrera s wheels now and the do show brake dust - fairly easy to clean though.
I'd imagine the classic wheels would hide dust a little better since they're too toned but that's a guess on my part.
The classes do look bigger but I think they are the same size. Should be fine either way with your color combo. You liking one more than the other?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Hmm... Tough call. Love both wheels on the boxster.
Have the Carrera s wheels now and the do show brake dust - fairly easy to clean though.
I'd imagine the classic wheels would hide dust a little better since they're too toned but that's a guess on my part.
The classes do look bigger but I think they are the same size. Should be fine either way with your color combo. You liking one more than the other?
Really going back and forth on preference. Issues are exactly as you stated. Leaning toward the S wheels but the Classics do look larger and are sharp. I like that the Classics have a more forged rather than painted look.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:24 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I do believe the S wheels are lighter weight if that matters to you. I have them in platinum satin and this hides the dust well, but I think the silver finish looks sharp on a silver car.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:10 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worry that the s in silver will not look that great on a gt silver car, the car with the s wheels in your pic is rhodium silver. I would go with the classic wheels like the car with the red interior and the gt silver exterior. I have classic wheels and they do hide brake dust pretty well.

I am basing much of my thoughts on how funny I thought the gt silver gt4 with silver wheels looked. Car was a warm color and the wheels looked really cold and out of place.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I prefer the Carrera S wheels over the classics on anything but a black, dark brown or agate grey car.

What color is your car going to be? Silver cars with the S wheels in platinum satin is a great look.

The S wheels are a much sportier look than the classics IMO.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:12 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd go with S wheels as well. Had a GT Silver car previously (996 40th Anniv. edition) with bright silver wheels and they "popped" nicely - remember, GT Silver has a bit of black in it, so to my eyes there was enough contrast.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:54 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by drwuss
I worry that the s in silver will not look that great on a gt silver car, the car with the s wheels in your pic is rhodium silver. I would go with the classic wheels like the car with the red interior and the gt silver exterior. I have classic wheels and they do hide brake dust pretty well.

I am basing much of my thoughts on how funny I thought the gt silver gt4 with silver wheels looked. Car was a warm color and the wheels looked really cold and out of place.
The car with the S wheels is mine.

It's GT Silver.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:02 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Couple more pictures for you.
Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Couple more pictures for you.
John, thanks for the pics - I am going to go with the S wheels. I think they look great. The more I see the Carrera Classic wheels, well - they're just not for me.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I prefer the Carrera S wheels over the classics on anything but a black, dark brown or agate grey car.

What color is your car going to be? Silver cars with the S wheels in platinum satin is a great look.

The S wheels are a much sportier look than the classics IMO.
Agree - car will be GT silver over black full leather, with the S wheels. I think that should be great looking.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also you can get the wheels optioned in platinum satin, black, black satin or exterior color if they would go better with the gt silver for you. I think the carrera s wheels are the best choice. Although I do like the turbo wheels on some cars but others they look too busy.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:54 PM
jtucker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the S wheels on my white Cayman S. They are pretty easy to clean.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Mike0105.
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the Carrera S wheels look fantastic and will look just as good 5 or 10 years from now.
Mike
Old 10-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dr. Satan
Also you can get the wheels optioned in platinum satin, black, black satin or exterior color if they would go better with the gt silver for you. I think the carrera s wheels are the best choice. Although I do like the turbo wheels on some cars but others they look too busy.
Agree - just going to go with silver Carrera S wheels. IMO they're classic and won't go out of style.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't decide on wheels for new 981S