Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in value

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:58 PM
sgrinavi
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trade in value

So I'm trading in my '14 Cayman S and the offers just seem a little low, but maybe I'm off base -

2014 Cayman S, 15.5k miles, Agate Gray, A/C seats, Nav, Clear lighting and not much else. The original sticker on it was 72,500

BUT, it was involved in a very minor accident and I'm the second owner, so the carfax is not exactly what the discerning Porsche owner likes to see.

Best trade in offer I received was $51k, does that sound low or about right considering the mileage and carfax?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Sounds about right to me. I have much lower mileage, one owner, non accident '14 Cayman S that stickered at $88k (I paid $78k) that I'm guessing would draw about $60k in trade. Not that I have any intention of selling it.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:06 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sgrinavi
So I'm trading in my '14 Cayman S and the offers just seem a little low, but maybe I'm off base -

2014 Cayman S, 15.5k miles, Agate Gray, A/C seats, Nav, Clear lighting and not much else. The original sticker on it was 72,500

BUT, it was involved in a very minor accident and I'm the second owner, so the carfax is not exactly what the discerning Porsche owner likes to see.

Best trade in offer I received was $51k, does that sound low or about right considering the mileage and carfax?
Almost 30% depreciation in one model year? Ouch!
Old 06-09-2015, 02:52 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rohitgarewal
Well, with a wreck in the vehicle's history and 15K miles, I'd say that's not too bad, actually.

Have to wonder what he paid (used) for it.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Giller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of variables when it comes to trade-ins. Are you trading it in to a Porsche dealer or off-brand? What's the demand like right now for that vehicle? How many others do they currently have? I always work backwards when I trade in. How much is the dealer going to ask for my car, how much are they going to get, how much profit is fair for them and me and how much do they have to put in the car to safety and sell and advertise?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 AM
sgrinavi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Giller
Lots of variables when it comes to trade-ins. Are you trading it in to a Porsche dealer or off-brand? What's the demand like right now for that vehicle? How many others do they currently have? I always work backwards when I trade in. How much is the dealer going to ask for my car, how much are they going to get, how much profit is fair for them and me and how much do they have to put in the car to safety and sell and advertise?
CarMax, A Porsche dealer was offering the same about a month ago. Buyer at CarMax told me that he deducted $2000 for the snotty carfax.

There's plenty of inventory around selling at dealer lots in the low to mid 60's. I did see a private seller at 58,500 for a nearly identical car.

The car is clean, tires are good. Just clean it up and sell it.

Originally Posted by skiahh
Well, with a wreck in the vehicle's history and 15K miles, I'd say that's not too bad, actually.

Have to wonder what he paid (used) for it.
I paid $62.

It wasn't wrecked, a guy came into my lane and rubbed my fender. The damage is so minor that the body shop guy said paint mis-match would be more apparent than the tiny bit of damage. I shouldn't have reported it, but I was POd as the guy wouldn't pull over and then when he finally did he tried to blame me for the accident. He was found at-fault and his insurance company accepted liability.

I think the in-service date is August or Sept of 13 based on the amount of warranty that I have left on it.

At the end of the day it's not a horrible deal - In Florida you don't pay sales tax on the trade-in so that's over $3000 of feel good money and if can get the insurance company to reimburse me for some of the diminished value I guess I'm doing okay.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Brumos
Former Vendor

If PM me your VIN I'll take a look and put a real value on it for you.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Brumos
Former Vendor

Auction values have dipped into the mid $50s this past month for a low mileage/clean Cayman S. I'm not at work to check your build, but guessing its a manual (which as an enthusiast I prefer, but the larger market looks for PDK). $51-52K is on the money, considering a Carfax ding.

We have to send so many good cars off to auction because of how Carfax can taint the real integrity of a vehicle's history. Can make it sound like there was major impact when the truth is far from it. You see/read your Cayman's Carfax.?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:11 AM
sgrinavi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brumos
Auction values have dipped into the mid $50s this past month for a low mileage/clean Cayman S. I'm not at work to check your build, but guessing its a manual (which as an enthusiast I prefer, but the larger market looks for PDK). $51-52K is on the money, considering a Carfax ding.

We have to send so many good cars off to auction because of how Carfax can taint the real integrity of a vehicle's history. Can make it sound like there was major impact when the truth is far from it. You see/read your Cayman's Carfax.?

Thanks a million - I appreciate it.

Yes, it's a manual and yes, I've seen the carfax. It does say minor accident.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Par for the course across the Porsche lineup. And it's two model years, not one. '16s are starting to arrive at some dealers already and all new orders are '16s. Add the two owners and the accident, and there you are. That's not even considering the fact that Caymans aren't selling.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:01 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

$2,000 deduction for the bad carfax report is not enough. $2,000 is not a meaningful difference on a Porsche. You got off easy. I have seen Porsches getting a 25% deduction due to bad carfax. If you see two identical Porsches, one priced at $50k with a bad carfax, the other priced at $52k with clean carfax, 10 out of 10 Porsche buyers will always buy the cleaner car if it was only a $2k difference.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:14 PM
sgrinavi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
$2,000 deduction for the bad carfax report is not enough. $2,000 is not a meaningful difference on a Porsche. You got off easy. I have seen Porsches getting a 25% deduction due to bad carfax. If you see two identical Porsches, one priced at $50k with a bad carfax, the other priced at $52k with clean carfax, 10 out of 10 Porsche buyers will always buy the cleaner car if it was only a $2k difference.
25% reduction for a fender rub is robbery. Not like the car was even in the shop.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Originally Posted by sgrinavi
25% reduction for a fender rub is robbery. Not like the car was even in the shop.
I am not saying your car should have gotten a 25% deduction, but I am speaking from first hand experience that I have seen Porsches that have gotten a large substantial deduction. Believe me, I buy and sell cars every single day and I have seen a 911 that is in the book for $100k that fetched mid $70s. The more prestige the car is, the bigger the deduction, because a small drop in price isn't going to lure potential buyers, buyers in that segment can and are willing to pay for a minty.
CarFax has in many ways ruined the landscape of used car sales. They essentially put Scarlet letters on cars, basically labeling a car with a "don't buy me(unless I am cheap)" label. The accident notation on CarFax is always vague. It could range from a shopping cart at the supermarket to a full on head on collision, the accident notation is more or less the same. No matter how little the body work or accident, the market-ability of the car is less desirable and the channels in which way you can unload that car is also diminished.
IMO $3-5k on a Cayman with one panel metal body work is about there. $2k is quite generous. Never the less, $51k sounds all there.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:36 AM
sgrinavi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
IMO $3-5k on a Cayman with one panel metal body work is about there. $2k is quite generous. Never the less, $51k sounds all there.
Thanks, I traded it in for the $51 - might as well get it while the getting is good.

Quick Reply: Trade in value