Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Cayman to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Red911.408
Seems to a great value- Have seen a white one for 75k plus I like the exclusivity.
Any ideas on how many are going to be made?
The GTS is a standard production car. They will make as many as they can sell. People first thought it would be limited production car, but it isn't. The only truly limited production 981 Cayman is the GT4.

The 981 Caymans are brilliant cars and a blast to drive. If you do a lot of city driving or going to track the car, PDK is fantastic and its the best automatic transmission I've ever experienced. That said, the manual is pure joy to use, and I don't regret choosing the manual. Whichever model of Cayman or options you choose you really can't make a mistake...its tremendous fun. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:35 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack but hopefully to help in your search. I'm in a similar boat but am waiting on my 991 GT3RS. I can't figure out whether to get a Cayman R or a 981 GTS as a "summer" car while I wait on the RS. I recently sold my 991 GT3. I definitely want a manual and am leaning toward the R because I think it will hold it's value better plus it's lighter with hydraulic steering.

What do the experts think?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
Not to hijack but hopefully to help in your search. I'm in a similar boat but am waiting on my 991 GT3RS. I can't figure out whether to get a Cayman R or a 981 GTS as a "summer" car while I wait on the RS. I recently sold my 991 GT3. I definitely want a manual and am leaning toward the R because I think it will hold it's value better plus it's lighter with hydraulic steering.

What do the experts think?
Drive the cars and then decide. I really like the 987s a lot, and I was rather skeptical about the 981s when they first arrived. However, I after driving 981s several times on extended test drives (I spent 4 days with a 981S), I really came to appreciate the 981 and I don't think I could go back to a 987. Each car is great so there is no wrong choice, its just that the 981 really impressed me and I prefer the way it drives...that is something I would not know if I just went by people writing about weight and hydraulic steering vs. electric. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@RossL: You need to try yourself. Both cars are superb, but I got a Cayman R because interior was more old school - in a positive way - and the entire car felt more special to me. 981 platform admittedly the more modern car, but left me cold. Sense a GT4 would change that...
Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sven76
@RossL: You need to try yourself. Both cars are superb, but I got a Cayman R because interior was more old school - in a positive way - and the entire car felt more special to me. 981 platform admittedly the more modern car, but left me cold. Sense a GT4 would change that...
That's my thinking. The 981 looks a lot better but it's bigger, heavier, and has electric steering. So hard to decide between 2 excellent options. I'm hoping to drive an R tomorrow and an S with x57 Saturday so we'll see. From a resale I'm guessing the R will retain better than a GTS but am not sure.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:53 PM
osumce
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To OP:
I picked up my new GTS about three weeks ago (Carmine red with black wheels) and just love it. I went manual. I love the involvement of the manual and, on top of that, it seems like it may become harder (if not impossible) to get in ten years, so why enjoy the manual while I can? I've found that even on Sport Plus the ride is excellent and all the little extras make it a great car for long excursions.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:51 PM
markk132
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i might be a bit biased as a Cayman R owner, but i'd say go Cayman R. better steering, more rare, will hold its value better. think about this, you'll pay less for it now and likely sell it for more down the road than the GTS. can't beat that, and boy does it get looks, if you're into that sort of thing. start searching for a good example and see where you end up, but please do drive both
Old 06-22-2015, 04:02 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
That's my thinking. The 981 looks a lot better but it's bigger, heavier, and has electric steering. So hard to decide between 2 excellent options. I'm hoping to drive an R tomorrow and an S with x57 Saturday so we'll see. From a resale I'm guessing the R will retain better than a GTS but am not sure.
I get the impression from your shopping predilections that it little depreciation here and there won't prove financially catastrophic.

FWIW, get the 981. It's a much better car.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:08 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wbgordon
I get the impression from your shopping predilections that it little depreciation here and there won't prove financially catastrophic.

FWIW, get the 981. It's a much better car.
It hopefully wouldn't, but I don't like losing money

I still haven't driven the R but did drive the GTS and S with X73 and they are both great cars. The GTS's exhaust note is soooo much better though! The pops and burbles are awesome. They are excellent cars but way too hard to decide.

Quick Reply: Which Cayman to buy??