Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman or Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 04:25 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Before y'all are like "haha, I'm a WAY better driver than sjfehr, and can handle an S!!!" bear in mind that I'm not a nationally competitive autocrosser, but I do compete nationally and I'm a 3-time state champion. I usually take top (overall) time at time trials at my local track with said scary corner, and have never done worse than 2nd overall (friend with a 400hp STI's even crazier than I am!). It's not nearly so terrifying if you suck, because you're going to overbrake and not carry nearly as much speed through as you can, and your HPDE instructor probably has you driving a nice safe (slow) late apex at your local track(s) anyhow. [EG, if miatas are catching up to you in the corners, you suck, sorry.]

250hp in a Boxster is damned fun in all conditions. 300 is about the range where the power overcomes rear grip and creates issues in corners. 400+ and you can't even use it in a straight line. At that point, it's just bragging rights.
I think you speakith from experience. Excellent viewpoint and one I share coming from a 480 hp TT cab to a 320 hp Spyder. Granted I'm still above the base 981 Cayman range, but it's nice to have an engine you can mash the throttle on and not have it go squirelly on you.n It does however commonly spin the read wheels. The car is definitely lighter in the rear.
To quote singer Maria Muldaur's hit song "It Ain' t the Meat, It's the Motion". Perfect description of HP vs driver skills in the base Cayman / Boxster.

Last edited by Zeus993; 05-17-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

But of course autocrossing around the parking lot of the local junior college is a very different environment than driving on the street or the big track. What works/is desirable for one isn't necessarily the best option for the other.

My DD is 450hp and the last 200hp are sure as heck usable in all sorts of situations. Necessary? Of course not. Useable? Often. And the same car with 250hp wouldn't be near as quick on the street/in the canyons or on a track. Or in the all important, merging onto the freeway situation.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:02 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Before y'all are like "haha, I'm a WAY better driver than sjfehr, and can handle an S!!!" bear in mind that I'm not a nationally competitive autocrosser, but I do compete nationally and I'm a 3-time state champion. I usually take top (overall) time at time trials at my local track with said scary corner, and have never done worse than 2nd overall (friend with a 400hp STI's even crazier than I am!). It's not nearly so terrifying if you suck, because you're going to overbrake and not carry nearly as much speed through as you can, and your HPDE instructor probably has you driving a nice safe (slow) late apex at your local track(s) anyhow. [EG, if miatas are catching up to you in the corners, you suck, sorry.]

250hp in a Boxster is damned fun in all conditions. 300 is about the range where the power overcomes rear grip and creates issues in corners. 400+ and you can't even use it in a straight line. At that point, it's just bragging rights.
I doubt that extanker meant for his remarks to be taken literally. It was just a memorable line from a famous movie, which is often used in a humorous context.
When I read your comments I took it to mean that you had lots of time behind the wheel of a base, and you just have to get accustomed to the extra HP and handling characteristics of the S. My case is the opposite of yours. I'm coming from a 997S to a 981S, so I have to get accustomed to the 50HP less.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ yes i did. and if 300 horse power is TOO much do not bother applying for a man card. stay in the acme supermarket parking lot class and princess club. elton john sterotype smh.the guy would faint in a z06 or any corvette built after 1958
Old 05-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
I doubt that extanker meant for his remarks to be taken literally. It was just a memorable line from a famous movie, which is often used in a humorous context.
When I read your comments I took it to mean that you had lots of time behind the wheel of a base, and you just have to get accustomed to the extra HP and handling characteristics of the S. My case is the opposite of yours. I'm coming from a 997S to a 981S, so I have to get accustomed to the 50HP less.
I've done something similar. Do you find yourself spinning the rear wheels with the engine now in the center?
Old 05-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Bond55
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I placed an order yesterday for a '16 base. Don't think I will be disappointed! Should be here for August delivery!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:48 PM
CaymanUA
7th Gear

If you plan on taking the car to the track often, I'd opt for the S. If not, go with the base Cayman. I have a base 09 with light modifications and it's more than capable on track. The only place I feel that it's lacking in the power department is Turn 7 at Road Atlanta or hairpin style turns at other tracks.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:28 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

The base just does not have enough power at altitude...live at 8k ft above sea level. We have a 310 hp 2011 S. Still fun to drive in the twisties but our slowest car. 333 supercharged hp, 450 na v8 hp and 562 na v8 hp.

Life is good.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:06 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bond55
So I placed an order yesterday for a '16 base. Don't think I will be disappointed! Should be here for August delivery!
Awesome. Congrats. Color? Options?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:08 PM
Bond55
Rennlist Member

Carrera White / Yachting Blue full leather
PDK + Sport Chrono
Rear Wiper
Sport design wheel
Tinted tail lights

Those are the main options. The car will be modded some i.e. exhaust, HAS, wheels/tires so I ordered accordingly. After owning several Audi's, this will be the first P car. Yes, it may be the slowest in the stable, but it will be a monster in the curves, and thats what I'm most excited about.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bond55
Carrera White / Yachting Blue full leather
PDK + Sport Chrono
Rear Wiper
Sport design wheel
Tinted tail lights

Those are the main options. The car will be modded some i.e. exhaust, HAS, wheels/tires so I ordered accordingly. After owning several Audi's, this will be the first P car. Yes, it may be the slowest in the stable, but it will be a monster in the curves, and thats what I'm most excited about.
This will be a totally awesome ride. Love the blue leather - had it on an 06 C2S. Consider the PSE - Porsche Sport Exhaust as you can turn it on and off. I mainly have it on but have lately been running in the city with it off to avoid the attention of traffic police.
Also seats, I like the Adaptive Sports with the hard plastic backs. Much better support in the twisties. The regular seats I tend to roll out of during spirited driving.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
This will be a totally awesome ride. Love the blue leather - had it on an 06 C2S. Consider the PSE - Porsche Sport Exhaust as you can turn it on and off. I mainly have it on but have lately been running in the city with it off to avoid the attention of traffic police. Also seats, I like the Adaptive Sports with the hard plastic backs. Much better support in the twisties. The regular seats I tend to roll out of during spirited driving.
+1 on PSE. I drove a buddy's 15 CS, and the exhaust sound with the sport exhaust activated was marvelous!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Bond55
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I had a similar valved exhaust on my RS4. Also got the Bi-Xenons. I'm looking into the AWE system hence why I didn't check off any exhaust options!
Old 05-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
+1 on PSE. I drove a buddy's 15 CS, and the exhaust sound with the sport exhaust activated was marvelous!
The “quiet” switch on the PSE is nice. The 3.8 sounds fantastic with the IPD plenum and the Cargraphic headers, but all the backfiring noises sometimes make me feel like an a$$ when downshifting for a light in traffic. That’s when it’s nice to have the PSE ...

Old 05-20-2015, 05:34 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportwagen
The “quiet” switch on the PSE is nice. The 3.8 sounds fantastic with the IPD plenum and the Cargraphic headers, but all the backfiring noises sometimes make me feel like an a$$ when downshifting for a light in traffic. That’s when it’s nice to have the PSE ...
It's better to be thought an $$s than to open your PSE and remove all doubt. :-)

Quick Reply: Cayman or Cayman S?