Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman or Cayman S?

Old 05-06-2015, 01:24 PM
66mustang
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

for your uses, and coming from a RS4 I would think an S is better. look into the X73 suspension option, every review of it says it is the the best. Depreciation is also less on the S, if that concerns you

BTW, I went from a 2005 Base Boxster to a 2012 Boxster S. The differences between the 2 are incredible. My wife is even happy with the descion, at first she didn't understand why I wanted to upgrade. All she saw was the $25000 difference for the same car.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:30 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 267 Posts

Neither...

GT4
Old 05-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drive both.

Porsche options are ridiculously expensive. So it is relatively easy to configure a base car that is even more expensive than a lightly optioned S-model. This gives you a degree of freedom you can use. Personally, I’d buy a completely stripped S-model before I’d go for the 2.7L engine, but that’s just me.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with getting a base is, after awhile, you will wonder what the S is like. No one who owns a S, wonders what a base is like. S is definitely better for resale value. If you can afford it, get a S.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
The problem with getting a base is, after awhile, you will wonder what the S is like. No one who owns a S, wonders what a base is like. S is definitely better for resale value. If you can afford it, get a S.
Exactly! I don't know anyone with an S who says they wish it had less power.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:28 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Bond55

Having the fastest car isn't so much a priority for me as having one of the best handling cars on the market today.
Get sport suspension (X73) and PTV if you want handling, if budget allows then add sport chrono package (which include dynamic transmission mounts) and if still within budget 19" wheels. Budget the rest of your options around this.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
Exactly! I don't know anyone with an S who says they wish it had less power.
Then let me be the first: I wish my S had less power. Or, rather, I wish I could have found these options on a base. My 987.2S has too much power for the street. Straight-line isn't a problem, it's on-throttle oversteer in slow corners that's the issue. My old 986S with 50hp less was a lot more fun on the street, and, ironically, also on the track. There's a certain joy to be had just mashing the throttle you can't do with higher powered cars.

There's a certain corner at my local track that I always enjoyed a lot in my 986S; I could hold full throttle with a little margin of error left- getting it right was just exhilarating as hell. With the extra power of my 987.2S, I'm carrying too much speed in. So now I need to brake at *just* the right spot and *just* the right amount and turn in at *just* the right spot, and getting it right with my wheels tracking out within inches of oblivion (and a few dozen feet of the tire wall) is absolutely terrifying. Not fun, terrifying. The miata guys don't get why I hate running in that direction, lol.

Likewise, on the street, I became well accustomed to being able to flat-foot my 986S through just about every intersection from a stop regardless of whether I was going straight, turning left, or turning right. With the extra 50hp in my 987.2S, I'm forced to hold back to avoid on-throttle oversteering into a ditch or oncoming traffic, which isn't nearly as much fun. It's a little frustrating, actually.

So, yeah, I kinda wish I had a base. The base is more competitively classed for autocross, too, and not thrown in with GT3, Elise, GTR & C7 Z06 like I am now
Old 05-08-2015, 08:05 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a good man knows his limitations ......C. Eastwood ^^^
Old 05-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Dave Parker
Instructor

I always owned 911s, so I could never go for the lower horsepower. I purchased a 2014 CS and I love it so far. Sure you can overpower the car out of a corner, but learning to control that makes you a better driver. - I can also overpower my VW TDI out of many corners.

I agree with an earlier post - go for a minimally optioned S ( unless you just want to tool around town ).
Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
a good man knows his limitations ......C. Eastwood ^^^
Before y'all are like "haha, I'm a WAY better driver than sjfehr, and can handle an S!!!" bear in mind that I'm not a nationally competitive autocrosser, but I do compete nationally and I'm a 3-time state champion. I usually take top (overall) time at time trials at my local track with said scary corner, and have never done worse than 2nd overall (friend with a 400hp STI's even crazier than I am!). It's not nearly so terrifying if you suck, because you're going to overbrake and not carry nearly as much speed through as you can, and your HPDE instructor probably has you driving a nice safe (slow) late apex at your local track(s) anyhow. [EG, if miatas are catching up to you in the corners, you suck, sorry.]

250hp in a Boxster is damned fun in all conditions. 300 is about the range where the power overcomes rear grip and creates issues in corners. 400+ and you can't even use it in a straight line. At that point, it's just bragging rights.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Then let me be the first: I wish my S had less power.
Well congrats on being the first.

While I agree 400+ HP is mostly about bragging rights rather than usability, but I don't wish for less HP in my car and as mentioned previously, a friend of mine had a base 987 and he does auto X etc. He has lots of fun doing it but always regretted not getting an S. Last year he traded for an S and he loves the car even more...YMMV.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Hi Octane
2nd Gear

I went for the S when making my Cayman choice. It came down to the feeling that it would be better to have the power and not need it versus wanting the power and not having it.

Plus like others have said...If I got the base, I would always be second guessing myself on whether or not I should have gotten the S.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Parker
I can also overpower my VW TDI out of many corners.
As someone who has owned one Golf TDI and 2 Jetta TDI's I presume you are referring to icy road conditions? :-)
Old 05-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Dave Parker
Instructor

Jetta TDI - I can spin the tires at any intersection corner I want too. However, this isn't the point. The point I was making is that you can get just about any car out of control on the street if you try.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Agree with comments about needing to drive both. Everyone has a different reference point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayman or Cayman S?