981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
How can you guys tell that it is a powered top from the picture?
The canvas portion in the rear appears to be for cosmetics more than function. If you look at the rest of the top it looks identical to the current standard top. The rear section is tight, opposite the current Spyder which has a loose appearance.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
How can you guys tell that it is a powered top from the picture?
I look at that picture and I think DeValle has a competitor in South Africa
Old 02-19-2015, 10:07 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The canvas portion in the rear appears to be for cosmetics more than function. If you look at the rest of the top it looks identical to the current standard top. The rear section is tight, opposite the current Spyder which has a loose appearance.
Maybe it was my past career that makes me so cynical but I look at the new pictures and think how strange it is for someone to walk into a garage ( see reflection of garage door) and take THOSE pictures. I mean even with a crappy camera phone are THOSE the pictures you're going to take since you seem to now have free access to the car as it's parked and access provided to you?

Since when does Porsche allow this btw?

But hey let me take a couple of weird angle shots since I'm here, forget the brakes or any of the entire car, no just these two.

Then let's talk about the SPYDER patch? is that why the car needs telemetry ...I mean we must get that patch on because that's way more important than mechanical issues for our testing. Of course Porsche LOVES to show half chewed dog food that is prototypes right? thats why they don't disguise them or lock them up when they are parked. Nope, these guys walked into the secret dev center in South Africa ( A country known for low crime btw) and snapped these TWO pictures.

comical.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Trust me, my initial impression is just as cynical as yours. The resolution is terrible and the shots are awkward at best. None of it makes sense. But I'm also trying to put things into perspective, perhaps the phone used to take the shots was not very advanced (thinking old flip phones) and this is S. Africa after all.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:49 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Trust me, my initial impression is just as cynical as yours. The resolution is terrible and the shots are awkward at best. None of it makes sense. But I'm also trying to put things into perspective, perhaps the phone used to take the shots was not very advanced (thinking old flip phones) and this is S. Africa after all.
So even if it were a Startac II with a B&W camera does it make them retarded too?
Old 02-20-2015, 04:09 AM
homerdog
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Yeah but I'm taking bets that you won't be making your 5th post in 3 years if I am right now will you?

Have to love the trolling though.
Trolling? I posted on here at the beginning of December saying that the new Spyder would be announced in April and you posted a sarcastic reply. When LitRbl confirmed what I said, you posted a sarcastic reply to him as well. Just because I don't post very often doesn't mean I'm a troll, or wrong!

I'll take your bet and eat humble pie if I'm wrong, will you?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:21 AM
Dig-It
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the interior photo posted on carscoops.com, the area within the roll bar hoop has been reduced. The lower edge should be approximately even with the lower edge of the wind deflector between the two hoops. I wonder what the reasoning for this is.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:00 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

unless one lives somewhere where it alternates between sunshine and rain constantly through the day ( like Hawaii or Florida ) or where there is a threat of pop up thunderstorm weather all humid summer ( rest of the country besides California ), what is the big deal with the 987 Spyder tent roof system ?

Here on the Peninsula of the SF Bay Area ..never even use the A/C on any of my sports cars in the summer because it never gets above 75-80 degrees

Gonna be 70/ 80 s here again today in California like everyday most of past two months ....no real rain x 2 mos ....the " back side " of the Polar Vortex slammin everyone else !

http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/por...der-roof-video

Motorized or manual brackets would add back weight to the Spyders iconic bimini top ..perhaps the 981 Spyder will incorporate a quick to deploy manual drop / fold away / raise rear tonneau to eliminate the fiddly snaps if you urgently need to weather proof but they should keep the full manual simple to install/ remove tent / bimini . You dont hear Carrrera GT and 918 Spyder guys complaining they have to pull over and manually remove / install their hard " targa " tops if it starts sprinkling , do you ?

Last edited by MKW; 02-20-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Instructor

So this must be fake (sarcasm)http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502208...-by-wcf-reader
Old 02-20-2015, 11:13 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 987720
That does NOT look fake. In fact that looks very, very real

Now that we can see the top that looks like a much smoother design than ours, in fact better in some respects. If this has the 3.8 I can see this being the go to 981.

Looks like I was wrong. 3rd time in my life, go figure.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:19 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
That does NOT look fake. In fact that looks very, very real

Now that we can see the top that looks like a much smoother design than ours, in fact better in some respects. If this has the 3.8 I can see this being the go to 981.

Looks like I was wrong. 3rd time in my life, go figure.

so I guess you are done " Fighting On " with some on this thread !

Old 02-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well poop. I would love to see what changes. That are not revealing every card yet. I wonder what the weight will be.

Us Spyder owners still have a great car, that is still rare (MT/Buckets ) It is still a "Collectible" and is worth every penny.

Like I have always said, if someone is complaining about the Spyder top, they dont "get it", and should be looking at a different car.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:28 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Last edited by MKW; 02-20-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Instructor

The big question now is what engine it has?
3.8 or the 3.4?
The person who took these photos state this prototype has the 3.8 with the manual transmission... Which would make me more than happy!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Instructor

So noticed that if you look under the hood attachment point that there is a "Spyder" logo. Along with this and the "Spyder" embroidery on the seat headrest. This means Porsche will be branding this simply as "Spyder" versus the "Boxster Spyder" on the 987.2. Makes sense as the Cayman GT4 is simply branded the "GT4".

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!