Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Porsche doesn't make a habit of creating disappointing cars these days and I wouldn't be surprised if this Spyder or Club Sport version isn't a stunner. I'm curious to know far they go with the lightweight theme.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:45 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Porsche doesn't make a habit of creating disappointing cars these days and I wouldn't be surprised if this Spyder or Club Sport version isn't a stunner. I'm curious to know far they go with the lightweight theme.
The Boxster is getting some sort of variant of the GT4 that is announced in GT Porsche magazine, what I cannot wrap my head around is using anything close to our top.

I live in Newport beach, it was 88 today, I have never put my top on after I got it and took these pictures. However there are a lot of people who do and thats why they trade hands often.

The story of mine is hilarious. Warren Buffets Number 3 in his company wife bought my car after passing the Omaha Porsche dealer and seeing it in the window. They bought it without a test drive etc. The car sat for 4 months until Spring, she drove it wherever people in Omaha go to shop and called her husband to call the dealer to call her to tell her where the button is to put the top on...they sent someone to her...erected the shelter-half we call a top and she said only this " take it back" I got the car with 812 miles on it after it sat in limbo for 17 months as they argued. I understand he got a 981 Boxster black over red. The top, the top....the top.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:30 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

And in thinking about it, this wont be a GT variant meaning it will use the regular ranges powerplant. Wellllllll if the 981.2 goes turbo four, then that is what this will get......
Old 02-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

That is indeed Cape Town, SA. Definitely a Spyder prototype. Porsche mis-matches wheels all the time on their prototypes.

I doubt it will be based on the GT4. And to me it does not look finished enough to be ready for release this year, so I think it will likely be a turbo.

I am sure there will be improvements to the top, but I am not convinced it will be powered. We shall see...
Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

Porsche was very creative with the Targa top. Some like it others don't but certainly interesting from a technological standpoint.

Wonder if there will be any surprises with the new Spyder.

Someone I think from Rennlist had figured out the Targa top from a patent diagram and then when the spy shots came out we could see that somehow it would stow back like the convertible.

However on the "Spyder" there may indeed not be anything to high tech as to not add weight.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 981 Spyder Top...

Frankly, I am as surprised at this 'prototype' as most of you on this forum.

Let me make just one quick comment on something you can see in one of the photos. The original 987 Spyder had a two-part top. The rear part was the most awkward to install...

It looks like Porsche has been working on a 981 Spyder top that eliminates that second part of the 'Bimini Top'! The part right behind the seat looks to be built in hard plastic, glass or aluminum*. And my guess is that it envelopes the entire rear of the Boxster with the top on or off, including a rear glass partition - all rain/foul weather proof when the canvas 'sun shield' is in place!

If that is the case, and a permanent structure eliminates the previous canvas/rear plastic add-on, it would be a major advantage over the original 987's two-stage full manual top! Still, I am very surprised to see this 981 Spyder prototype!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*Or a stiff canvas-covered titanium plate that raises and weather seals the space behind the seats when the top is up. The mechanism used could be similar to way the standard wind deflector goes up & down on the current 991 Cabriolet! But that is adding weight...although it saves on aggravation and adds utility!

Last edited by Z356; 02-12-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Add another possibility to explain what we are seeing!
Old 02-12-2015, 02:35 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Well this is a twist…Eduardo yours thoughts on how to make the top "easier" yet provide the "look" makes a lot of sense. Need to get in line just in case. I would assume 10-20 horsepower less than the Cayman GT4 if they hold to the formula.

I do not think this is far out, your really only talking about a slight "detune" to the engine and working the top bits out, most everything else comes straight from the GT4.

Last edited by il pirata; 02-12-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

What is the point of maintaing the straps if the roof is going to be one piece. To me that would totally eliminate a critical essence of the car. The ability to have a totally sealed enclosure, a sunshade or an open roof really makes the car special. This version appears to lose that. No thanks until I see it in action.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:45 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

As a Spyder owner I'm a little bummed and still keeping my fingers crossed that this is a photoshop. Someone mentioned our prices will "tank" which may be true and don't get me wrong I would rather my car or anything else for that matter be worth more than less but for me it's allot more than that.

I bought into the raw sports car theme (although sorry I do have a PDK) and fell in love with the looks. Having to deal with the top was worth the car's exclusivity and the fact there was nothing like this out there. As owners we were rewarded; looks like that has changed and will have to share with the rest of the world.

I think the top will be mostly manual (need something to discourage buyers otherwise why would anyone buying a GTS not get a Spyder) but Eduardo is correct something will change to make it easier.

The Bimini only option on the 987 Spyder is great. I think it looks good and here in FL when it does get hot you can put it up to block the sun but keep everything else open and surprisingly doesn't get uncomfortable even in the hottest months.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:47 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I love my Spyder (if you couldn't tell!) and couldn't care less if the "price tanked". Who cares... Keeping mine until it gets totaled or something along those lines. The top isn't as convenient as an auto top but it doesn't bother me.

981 Spyder though, if it does come to fruition, would be interesting. Would have to see the details but personally I'm more interested in a GT4 or GT3.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't be surprised if short term Spyder values get affected assuming many current owners decide they would prefer the GT4 or new 981 Club Sport and put theirs up for sale. At this point there are only one or two MT/Bucket Spyders and a couple of PDK/Bucket Spyders for sale. The rest are PDK/Sport Seats which totals maybe 14. It's also the dead of winter and demand won't start picking up for at least another month.

But in the long run I think the new attention that Porsche is giving the mid engine platform will ultimately increase interest in previous generations cars that have proven to be reliable and values will come back with time.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My prediction:

The 981 Spyder will debut this April at the Shanghai show? (Where 981 GTS made it's first public appearance). Like the GT4, it will make its online debut a month earlier. The same sources that claimed the 2/4 debut for the GT4 several months ago also stated the April debut for the Spyder with July deliveries (Europe). There have been two different 981 prototypes that have been running around lately. First is the GT4 and the other the Spyder of which have been using the 981.1 head and tail lights. The second the 981.2 facelift which the head/tails and bumpers/diffusers have been camouflaged. The thing about the Spyder is that they can test the roof separate from the rest of the car. My guess is they tested it with the standard roof and just now are testing the new roof. Rumors are that the roof will be similar but easier to use than the 987.2 Spyder.

It could utilize the 3.8, but would be down rated the standard -10hp from the GT4? Suspension/Brakes will also carry over from the GT4? Latest photos show the Spyder wearing the GT4 steel set. If I remember correctly, Porsche stated that the Boxster would not be tuned by the Motorsport division. Which makes sense as the GT4 was specifically designed with the first intention of being Tracked. I think the Spyder will carry over the ultra lightweight theme (Like the original), raw spirited sports car made to take the canyon roads. My guess is that they will offer a similar interior to the GT4... Optional Sport Buckets, AC/Radio delete and Strap Door Pulls.

If lightweight is the target, I can see them also utilizing the Cayman GTS engine?

At this point info is scarce as was the GT4 until official debut. Dealers knew very little about it until recently when the press embargo was lifted. All I know is the GT4 was a nice surprise and I'm sure Porsche will surprise us again with the Spyder!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The biggest question I have is what Porsche is doing to reduce the weight. Some possibilities:

1. They are already using aluminum extensively in the 981 so the only way to take it a step further would be carbon fiber.

2. A manual tent top would be another way to to reduce weight and it would be in one of the most critical areas.

3. Lightweight wheels. Anyone know if the GT4 wheels are lightweights?

4. 4 Cylinder Turbo engine.....not sure if this would truly be lighter but seems like it should be.

5. Titanium Exhaust? Seems unlikely due to cost but who knows.

6. No A/C or Radio will certainly save weight.

7. Definitely Sport Buckets

8. Lightweight doors with no pockets, same as Spyder / Cayman R

Not sure what else but I could see some of these as being very costly and unlikely.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:06 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

I am not worry about the value of my car tanking.

If the new car debuts this spring/summer, we might see a price drop of 987 Spyders next winter. But only because the sellers will feel like they have to give incentives to entice the buyers. In reality, the desirability of the car hasn't changed regardless of the new car or not.

In fact, IMO the desirability of the 987 Spyder is just going to get higher. The Spyder has two things going for it, rarity and vanity. It is rare, and it looks good. I don't think our Spyder will appreciate like a RS America, they are not $100k cars. But I think they will remain a $50-$60k car for a while, then in a decade's time, like a 996 GT3, we might see prices climbing up.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:07 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The biggest question I have is what Porsche is doing to reduce the weight. Some possibilities:

1. They are already using aluminum extensively in the 981 so the only way to take it a step further would be carbon fiber.

2. A manual tent top would be another way to to reduce weight and it would be in one of the most critical areas.

3. Lightweight wheels. Anyone know if the GT4 wheels are lightweights?

4. 4 Cylinder Turbo engine.....not sure if this would truly be lighter but seems like it should be.

5. Titanium Exhaust? Seems unlikely due to cost but who knows.

6. No A/C or Radio will certainly save weight.

7. Definitely Sport Buckets

8. Lightweight doors with no pockets, same as Spyder / Cayman R

Not sure what else but I could see some of these as being very costly and unlikely.
9. Reduce the size of the fuel tank.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!