Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Also I guess none of you sleuths realized that the front and rear rims don't match either....but hey I'm sure Porsche is testing out old rim designs too....
Old 02-11-2015, 09:49 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Also I guess none of you sleuths realized that the front and rear rims don't match either....but hey I'm sure Porsche is testing out old rim designs too....
Car manufacturers regularly test mules with staggered wheels. They don't care what they look like, as long as they're the correct size and weight:

Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Car manufacturers regularly test mules with staggered wheels. They don't care what they look like, as long as they're the correct size and weight:

Do they also test them with pixie dust holding canvas tops on? or with 19" wheels in the back and 20" in the front?

Yeah Porsche decided to just take the 987 Spyder rear end and slap it on the 981, no changes whatsoever except for the magic dust to hold the top on since there is no cutouts on this one and anchor points...perhaps we can get get some of that dust at the dealer ourselves and do away with having all the drama of attaching our tops as well.

BTW testing on the track is far different than a cruise on the beach. There also VC to contend with that you don't have to address while racing around the ring for optimum time.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Do they also test them with pixie dust holding canvas tops on? or with 19" wheels in the back and 20" in the front?

Yeah Porsche decided to just take the 987 Spyder rear end and slap it on the 981, no changes whatsoever except for the magic dust to hold the top on since there is no cutouts on this one and anchor points...perhaps we can get get some of that dust at the dealer ourselves and do away with having all the drama of attaching our tops as well.

BTW testing on the track is far different than a cruise on the beach. There also VC to contend with that you don't have to address while racing around the ring for optimum time.
MONGO ANGRY!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
MONGO ANGRY!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Making a lot of assumptions on a low res photo.
Your opinion is that it's fake, mine is that it's real. At this point it's just that, an opinion.

1. The photo was claimed to be taken in South Africa
2. Has Porsche Factory Plates
3. Brakes are bigger than the standard S/GTS
4. Has the radio antenna on the rear bumper like most Porsche test cars
5. Porsche tests cars all over, not just the track
6. Has the same rear spoiler from the Blue Boxster Mule photographed doing cold weather testing a couple months ago
7. As mentioned Porsche tests cars with different wheels all the time (BTW, not sure where you are getting your rear 19" measurement).
8. When the 987.2 Spyder was testing it had several different versions of camouflaged roofs prior to official debut.

IMHO the 981 Spyder will not have the same opening procedure. It was the biggest complaint. It might visually look the same, but it will more than likely open and close differently.

The same sources in Europe that disclosed the GT4 launch - Embargo Lift for the GT4 (2/4) are stating a April release for the Spyder.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if the top is fake... What about the humps?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 PM
jabo
Advanced

LOL!
okie dokie. Get your deposits in quick! There is ZERO chance the 981 will have the same top as the 987 Spyder...ZERO, NADA, ZILCH. If anything the 981 will have a better setup than the 987 and retractable as it was the NUMBER 1 complaint from dealers in selling the car.

The fact this photo shopped thing has a 987 top on it ( notice that one side is longer than the other and the right side almost looks as if it tucked under the humps tells me it wasn't even a good photo chop. It looks like a nice day where they are...funny how they are driving around all buttoned up.

Now I know how so much crap gets circulated.
ZERO chance this is photoshopped.
Porsche always tests mules with differing wheels front to rear.
Those ARE Porsche factory Deutschland plates on the car.
There are tons of valid clues in this picture that make it very unlikely to be fake.
I have never seen fairy dust hold anything, not sure how you are seeing that.
Imagine a stretch top like the original spyder but using a rear weather apron *for now* in anticipation of new glass being prepared a la Cayman style cut.
If any of this makes sense to you, then perhaps there is some validity to this picture.

This is just an internet forum, not NBC nightly news for christ's sake.
Nobody is claiming they were shot by an RPG.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:17 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 987720
Making a lot of assumptions on a low res photo.
Your opinion is that it's fake, mine is that it's real. At this point it's just that, an opinion.

1. The photo was claimed to be taken in South Africa
2. Has Porsche Factory Plates
3. Brakes are bigger than the standard S/GTS
4. Has the radio antenna on the rear bumper like most Porsche test cars
5. Porsche tests cars all over, not just the track
6. Has the same rear spoiler from the Blue Boxster Mule photographed doing cold weather testing a couple months ago
7. As mentioned Porsche tests cars with different wheels all the time (BTW, not sure where you are getting your rear 19" measurement).
8. When the 987.2 Spyder was testing it had several different versions of camouflaged roofs prior to official debut.

IMHO the 981 Spyder will not have the same opening procedure. It was the biggest complaint. It might visually look the same, but it will more than likely open and close differently.

The same sources in Europe that disclosed the GT4 launch - Embargo Lift for the GT4 (2/4) are stating a April release for the Spyder.
Perhaps. The top is ridged which as you know the 987 is not and requires the tension to keep it in place, and yes the top was a huge issue for the 987.

I just called my dealer as I am on the list for a RS GT3 and asked about a new Spyder and sent him this link. This is the GM I am speaking about and he read your April date and said " would be huge news to us and we own 12 Porsche dealerships " Anything is possible but I guess we will soon find out. Since I am keeping my Spyder a 981 doesn't bother me at all but I am curious to the marketing.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:17 PM
AshE
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa, very cool to do a new iteration of the Spyder. Although, it makes it tough for people get behind these limited production cars if they just make a newer version that potentially overcomes all the quirks of the old car. Understandable, in standard model production but in these limited production runs it must kill the old cars value.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:27 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

I don't have that exact same shot, but how do they create the tension to keep the top rigid if the attachment point is is almost behind the seat?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It does look like the standard top with the canvas roof in back.

I would be shocked if it's a true Spyder top like the 987 requiring manual removal and installation. I could see Porsche using similar design cue's as the old Spyder since the look was very successful.

My best guess is that it will have sport buckets, option to remove radio/ac, lightweight wheels, bigger brakes, LSD, more power (350) and upgraded suspension.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:30 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

two more shots, comparing side by side.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It does look like the standard top with the canvas roof in back.

I would be shocked if it's a true Spyder top like the 987 requiring manual removal and installation. I could see Porsche using similar design cue's as the old Spyder since the look was very successful.

My best guess is that it will have sport buckets, option to remove radio/ac, lightweight wheels, bigger brakes, LSD, more power (350) and upgraded suspension.
Look how much more rounded the 981 top is and I am still trying to figure out the attachment points for the rear. They appear to be forward of ours by a decent margin.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

a 981 spyder with the GT4 3.8L and big brakes would be a winner! Id have to take one.

the previous generations would take a good dip in price. But would be a bargin of a car!

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!