Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 Coolant Flush & Fill...DIY???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 PM
RBatsch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.1 Coolant Flush & Fill...DIY???

I have a 'new to me' 2008 Boxster S which I want to flush and fill with known fluids. I've searched all over the Internet for the proper procedure to fill the cooling system on a 987 but have come up empty handed...with the exception of a brief mention somewhere that suggested that some sort of 'vacuum machine' is required to draw all of the air out of the system. Apparently the 987s do not have the same sort of bleeder vent that then 986s do. I have a Motive vacuum bleeder....would that work?

Does anyone know the correct procedure? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by RBatsch
I have a 'new to me' 2008 Boxster S which I want to flush and fill with known fluids. I've searched all over the Internet for the proper procedure to fill the cooling system on a 987 but have come up empty handed...with the exception of a brief mention somewhere that suggested that some sort of 'vacuum machine' is required to draw all of the air out of the system. Apparently the 987s do not have the same sort of bleeder vent that then 986s do. I have a Motive vacuum bleeder....would that work?

Does anyone know the correct procedure? Thanks in advance!
The basic procedure is to drain the old coolant and then with a UView Lift system refill the cooling system with fresh coolant. Here's a link to one:

http://www.uview.com/index.cfm?dsp=p...productid=5120

This system allows the operator to draw a vacuum on the car's cooling system -- to the point the hoses collapse is what the techs tell me -- then close off the vacuum line and open the line to the reservoir of fresh coolant which is open to atmospheric pressure. This forces the coolant out of the reservoir into the cooling system with no air pockets.

Be sure you have the required amount of coolant. Actually more than the required amount as if you try to cut this too fine you can introduce air into the system and that ain't good. At the dealer the techs work from a huge tank of coolant so there's no danger of the level running low during the filling operation.

My advice is unless you must do this job yourself is just have it done at a shop (indy or dealer service department). The shop will have the right system for filling the car's cooling system and you do not have to deal with disposing of gallons of rather toxic old coolant.

If you do this yourself be sure you run the engine up to temperature and then let it sit and cool down and check the coolant level and top up as necessary.

Another thing you can do is clamp off the radiator hoses to/from the radiators and just drain the engine of coolant, then refill with fresh coolant. While this doesn't replace all the coolant it does bolster the coolant's corrosion resistance and additive package. You can do this say every 2 years and keep the cooling system coolant in reasonable condition without the effort of going through a full drain and refill.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:26 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

So with no evidence of a leak or malfunction, you're just swapping out the water pump?!?
Old 03-31-2024, 02:17 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

This thread was from 2015. That being said, I replaced my water pump with no sign or damage or leaks at 90k miles. It was doing other work (replacing reservoir) and figured it was more convient to replace when I wanted rather than when I had to. I also didn’t want to be “the guy” leaking coolant on the track.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (04-05-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 04:39 PM
jmanbball
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 987's have the same bleeder vent as the 986s. Can you bleed it the same way as 986? Yes, but getting one of these or similar makes for a much quicker change time:
Amazon Amazon
. You'll need a decent size air compressor though.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:25 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
This thread was from 2015.
True, but I didn't think it was good forum etiquette to create another thread when it was touched on here. In light of the coolant mess and tricky refill procedure, I'll just monitor the site and gauges and pay to have this done. I suspect that regular coolant changes will also impact the pump life ...

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2024, 10:53 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

I bought this from Amazon, it gives me lot's of different adapters.
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
bxstrCA (04-05-2024)

Quick Reply: 987.1 Coolant Flush & Fill...DIY???