Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Cayman R, question about paint work

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:13 PM
COChris
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I agree that a large percentage of those scratches could be leveled out and blended to be much less visible. It wouldn't be perfect but definitely not bad either.

So this one sold, did you already find another?
Not yet but looking every day.

Really prefer white with the bucket seats. Sport exhaust would be nice. Those seats are hard to find!!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:38 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

General rule of thumb - painting plastic body parts does not hurt the car's resale value, unless of course the workmanship is poor. A paint meter does not detect on plastic.

Painting metal body parts on the other hand, will most definitely hurt your resale, but mostly if you are selling to a buyer who has trained eyes. It will hurt trade-in value the most, as it is standard practice for a used car manager/appraiser to measure your paint, as used car/CPO guidelines are getting stricter and stricter.

You can always tell if a car has been painted, no matter how good a bodyshop you used.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
If you want one of the best driver's cars Porsche has ever made, don't let some minimal paint work dissuade you. If you want a concours example, keep looking. Most 3-4 year old cars will have some paint dings if they have actually been driven.

If the price, mileage and options are what you want - fly there and take a look. Better yet, fly there and drive it home.
I agree 100%. This scuff is the "classic" parked-it-too-close to the wall in a parking garage. How do I know? I've done it and had it repaired and it didn't affect the resale at all.

It looks like a great, rare, 987.2 CR. Go check it out, drive it, drive it home!

Quick Reply: Buying a Cayman R, question about paint work