Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting my PCCB Calipers

Old 01-16-2015, 01:04 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Painting my PCCB Calipers

My Spyder came with PCCB's but I removed them for some events but before I put them back on I think I am going to change the color. The Yellow introduces another color and I have three now, Black car, red interior and red trim and lights. The Yellow just bugs me...I understand it means I have PCCBs but I don't care about impressing others only myself

So I am considering either Silver with a red logo or Red with a Black logo ( You know to make it different than the S calipers)

What do you guys think? Funny on every other Porsche forum I come across threads of guys seeking permission to make theirs yellow only to have the purists or snobs flip out.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
My Spyder came with PCCB's but I removed them for some events but before I put them back on I think I am going to change the color. The Yellow introduces another color and I have three now, Black car, red interior and red trim and lights. The Yellow just bugs me...I understand it means I have PCCBs but I don't care about impressing others only myself

So I am considering either Silver with a red logo or Red with a Black logo ( You know to make it different than the S calipers)

What do you guys think? Funny on every other Porsche forum I come across threads of guys seeking permission to make theirs yellow only to have the purists or snobs flip out.
My biggest concern with changing the color of the calipers is will the new color be as durable as the original color? While you dislike the yellow of the PCCB calipers how would you feel if the color you chose started to discolor, or flake, or peel after a while?

If believe the color change will be durable then you can of course have the PCCB calipers painted any color or color pattern you want.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:52 PM
66mustang
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I would do Silver
Old 01-16-2015, 03:32 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

As silly as it sounds check with Porsche first as i think I read somewhere that Porsche voids warranties if the calipers are painted... yes that is silly but it would be better to check it out.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want an OEM level of quality you'll need to remove the calipers and have them powder coated. I suspect that would also require you to "unload" the calipers, but I'm not sure. The caliper paint kits at Pep Boys are for Hondas.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:25 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback.

First of all, I would never, ever use a brush method. I live in the same county as brembo is located and know the shop that does all of their short order special color painting. They are painted not powder coated I learned and stand up as well as any method.

I spoke to the owner and he has the Porsche stencil in stock and can do any color I want with assurances of a 100% OEM look. I saw the 991 turbo calipers they did for one of the Angels players 9 Black with red logo's ) and was pleased.

I think I am going with GT Silver and red logo but may do a black logo on one and decide.

As far as warranty, I have a aftermarket one and it's not affected.

I think the silver will look exotic and match my car perfectly.

again, thanks.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:12 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the right place to take them. I'm surprised that they are painted, must be a special high temperature paint.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:26 PM
vokain
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Thanks for all the feedback.

First of all, I would never, ever use a brush method. I live in the same county as brembo is located and know the shop that does all of their short order special color painting. They are painted not powder coated I learned and stand up as well as any method.

I spoke to the owner and he has the Porsche stencil in stock and can do any color I want with assurances of a 100% OEM look. I saw the 991 turbo calipers they did for one of the Angels players 9 Black with red logo's ) and was pleased.

I think I am going with GT Silver and red logo but may do a black logo on one and decide.

As far as warranty, I have a aftermarket one and it's not affected.

I think the silver will look exotic and match my car perfectly.

again, thanks.
Can you recommend the shop? I have some PCCBs whose paint is fading
Old 10-10-2023, 07:08 PM
blackland
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

My tire shop painted them red for $900 in Atlanta, GA. $1500 must include a cut for your dealership for outsourcing?
The following users liked this post:
vokain (10-10-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 11:11 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Our local dealer offers powder coating. I would stick with the original Porsche color, but your car so paint / coat as you wish.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:59 PM
vokain
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

What lasts better?
Old 10-13-2023, 08:21 PM
blackland
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by vokain
What lasts better?
I think real caliper paint is the best way to go, I have never had any issues with it on several cars.
The following users liked this post:
vokain (10-13-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting my PCCB Calipers