Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Engine Oil Leak Spotted

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:12 PM
wildwill
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Engine Oil Leak Spotted

Can anyone help me identify this this oil leak. If you have any thoughts on why it happened I would be grateful. https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/surrender.gif
Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Not enough in the pictures to go on.

Id'ing source of an oil (or it may not be oil but power steering fluid maybe) leak is best done by someone at the car and able to get up close with a flashlight and then take a step back and check other areas for leak sign before making a diagnosis.

The leak could be a camshaft cover, or a spark plug tube, or somewhere else. I mean who knows?

Get the car to a shop with qualified techs and have the leak id'd and then fixed.

Why the leak? Leaks happen. Just one of those things. The important thing is to not get too stressed out over this -- it is just a leak ('course just a leak, well, 3 of them (radiators) just cost me over $4600 to address in my Turbo) -- but focus on getting the leak source ID'd and the leak addressed and resume enjoying the car.
The following users liked this post:
i96danma (02-02-2022)
Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's most likely power-steering fluid coming out of the 'overflow' tube. The PS fluid will expand with heat and overflow. I don't know why Porsche puts the overflow tube on-top of the motor (messy). You can look (with flashlight) near the powersteering tank to see if you got fluid collected on the top of motor galley areas.

Quick Reply: Help: Engine Oil Leak Spotted