Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has submitted a deposit for the 981 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:34 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Your very lucky ... its been a real downer for me ... I am guessing I have a snowballs chance in hell of really getting this car ... Kinda sad. No one is a bigger fan of Porsche. Been an owner for 26 yrs and eat sleep and breath them ... Oh well, only time will tell but not feeling very hopeful ....
Regards
Ed
Don't lose hope, I just called my dealer where I bought only 1 car and am first on the list with deposit down. He said he thought they are making 1200 (I forgot to ask if that was for the US or total). Note, this was not local, my local guy retired and this was within 500 miles
Old 02-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mm1
Don't lose hope, I just called my dealer where I bought only 1 car and am first on the list with deposit down. He said he thought they are making 1200 (I forgot to ask if that was for the US or total). Note, this was not local, my local guy retired and this was within 500 miles
I have been so BS'ed by a number of dealers.
Some were great, others ... I felt like I had to take a shower after speaking with them.
I must have called all the wrong places ?? I honestly spent 2 days calling and emailing I am on a few lists but only one (pretty remote place ) where I have a low number .. If these dealers are only getting one car they I can kiss my *** good-by on getting one
I guess we will see ..
Good luck I hope you all get one ...
Regards
Ed
Old 02-07-2015, 05:43 PM
longwoodporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys. I'm willing to bet that if all these deposits are in place porsche will announce a much higher production run in March. They may have set out thinking limited run as the cayman is their worst selling car. They will not allow a large gap of demand vs supply that is just foolish. Pretty much everyone who wanted a GT3 got one 918's got hard for them to sell towards the end. I actually passed on 2 GT3's that my dealer had. Both sat for days before finding a buyer. They will make enough for everyone who wants and has the means to pay that's business 101. The only exception are halo cars that have a ton of profit built in. These cars sell from Porsche for a much higher margin because of the limited number
Old 02-07-2015, 05:45 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Originally Posted by longwoodporsche
Guys. I'm willing to bet that if all these deposits are in place porsche will announce a much higher production run in March. They may have set out thinking limited run as the cayman is their worst selling car. They will not allow a large gap of demand vs supply that is just foolish. Pretty much everyone who wanted a GT3 got one 918's got hard for them to sell towards the end. I actually passed on 2 GT3's that my dealer had. Both sat for days before finding a buyer. They will make enough for everyone who wants and has the means to pay that's business 101. The only exception are halo cars that have a ton of profit built in. These cars sell from Porsche for a much higher margin because of the limited number
They should listen to the demand and meet production numbers. "Unleash the beast"!

Edit: The car is so damn good and popular a d it's not an RS. So make as many as you can! No one cares about the numbers! 😁
Old 02-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by longwoodporsche
I can't argue with this thinking .... Why would they pass on making money ... Significant money, it just wouldn't make sense .. and most of what they do at Porsche, makes sense ( but of course, keeping the 911 on a pedestal )
Besides, I am guessing that they would be making a big return on this car, as you really can't buy one without dropping 95K before taxes and title ... Its not a cheap car !!

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 02-07-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:15 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

This is the way it works! First batch will be 600 cars! 918 owners are priority, they get their cars first! Second batch will be to supply the rest of the market, just like the gt3. And you will be able to order PTS during the second batch. Not sure how big that window will be. And by the way. PAG hasn't been making a lot money of sales in the US since 2007. Economy collapse and weak currency. Now the dollar is strong so they want to sell cars to the U.S.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
This is the way it works! First batch will be 600 cars! 918 owners are priority, they get their cars first! Second batch will be to supply the rest of the market, just like the gt3. And you will be able to order PTS during the second batch. Not sure how big that window will be. And by the way. PAG hasn't been making a lot money of sales in the US since 2007. Economy collapse and weak currency. Now the dollar is strong so they want to sell cars to the U.S.
I am not questioning, you just curious ... Are you sure ...?
Because most the dealers seem clueless and say they know nothing ..
Thanks
Ed
PS 997RS 4.0 drool

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 02-07-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Direct from Porsche:

"Paint to sample is not likely due to the various spoiler parts."

Don't bet on it being available guys or thinking that they will magically make thousands more of these cars with an all new Cayman due out next year.....
Old 02-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
Direct from Porsche:

The Spoiler is similar to the 997 GT3 RS and they did PTS for that.

IMHO, it will be available... just later.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:39 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
Direct from Porsche:

Don't bet on it being available guys or thinking that they will magically make thousands more of these cars with an all new Cayman due out next year.....
Hope this is not true. Just put a deposit down today and I'm pretty sure I will only buy if I can get PTS. Dealer is going to inquire from the factory next week.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:33 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi everyone:

First post by a short-term lurker (I started skulking about three days ago, when the GT4 was formally announced). I've always admired Porsches from a distance but never enough to actually join the club. In particular, I've lusted after the Cayman/Boxster but always believed that too much was being left on the table by the factory. The GT4 is the first model to come down the pike that is (somewhat) affordable yet pushes all the right buttons for me.

I put my deposit down on the day of the announcement and am told I'm in somewhere between 4th and 5th place. I suppose we'll see if that's early enough to get an allocation this year (or ever). As it currently sits, I've mentally spec'd the following:
  • PDLS headlights
  • Auto dimming mirrors
  • Larger fuel tank
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Two-zone climate control
  • Footwell storage net
  • Interior lighting package
  • Full bucket seats
  • Various leather trim upgrades
  • PCM (Nav)

I'm torn between Racing Yellow (with matching stitching/seatbelts) and Sapphire Blue. In general, I prefer stealthier colours, but the yellow is particularly striking. It will be a summer-only dual-use car, enjoying 8-10 days a year at our local track (Castrol Raceway) and ostensibly replacing my current 350 rwhp Miata.

Anyway, I hope it all works out as intended and look forward to interacting with the other members here.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Hi everyone:

First post by a short-term lurker (I started skulking about three days ago, when the GT4 was formally announced). I've always admired Porsches from a distance but never enough to actually join the club. In particular, I've lusted after the Cayman/Boxster but always believed that too much was being left on the table by the factory. The GT4 is the first model to come down the pike that is (somewhat) affordable yet pushes all the right buttons for me.

I put my deposit down on the day of the announcement and am told I'm in somewhere between 4th and 5th place. I suppose we'll see if that's early enough to get an allocation this year (or ever). As it currently sits, I've mentally spec'd the following:
  • PDLS headlights
  • Auto dimming mirrors
  • Larger fuel tank
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Two-zone climate control
  • Footwell storage net
  • Interior lighting package
  • Full bucket seats
  • Various leather trim upgrades
  • PCM (Nav)

I'm torn between Racing Yellow (with matching stitching/seatbelts) and Sapphire Blue. In general, I prefer stealthier colours, but the yellow is particularly striking. It will be a summer-only dual-use car, enjoying 8-10 days a year at our local track (Castrol Raceway) and ostensibly replacing my current 350 rwhp Miata.

Anyway, I hope it all works out as intended and look forward to interacting with the other members here.
Congrats, I am hoping my location in the deposit cue, is sufficent to get a car as well. Although I wonder if anything over 3 will get you a car this year ?
I guess it all depends on the dealer and their allocation .. ?
As for the build the only questtions I would raise are the seats ( for eveyday driving ) dont get me wrong they look off the charts great I just wonder how confortable they are ... If you under 40 I guess it doesn't matter but your in your 50's that may be another story
Also that fire extinguisher is not a Halon, it's a powder ... I don't know how friendly that is on the car ? I was going to get that as well, but saw its a powder. Maybe someone can chime in that knows those ( it's probably the best priced option on the car ) Also, I am to chicken $hit to buy a color so i was going to go with white ... I also happen to love the way it looks with all the black trim
Oh dont forget the smoking package, it finishes off the center console nicely
Old 02-08-2015, 12:09 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats, I am hoping my location in the deposit cue, is sufficent to get a car as well. Although I wonder if anything over 3 will get you a car this year ?
I guess it all depends on the dealer and their allocation .. ?
As for the build the only questtions I would raise are the seats ( for eveyday driving ) dont get me wrong they look off the charts great I just wonder how confortable they are ... If you under 40 I guess it doesn't matter but your in your 50's that may be another story
Also that fire extinguisher is not a Halon, it's a powder ... I don't know how friendly that is on the car ? I was going to get that as well, but saw its a powder. Maybe someone can chime in that knows those ( it's probably the best priced option on the car ) Also, I am to chicken $hit to buy a color so i was going to go with white ... I also happen to love the way it looks with all the black trim
Oh dont forget the smoking package, it finishes off the center console nicely
Thanks. My sales guy seems to think that I'll be okay (generally, some people always drop out, but who knows in this case).

I would dearly love to try the Sport Buckets before spec'ing them. However, the chance of finding the one local 918 owner is remote, never mind expecting him to let me sully his seats with my plebian posterior, is slim to none methinks. I'm skinny and of average height, so I'm pretty sure I'll fit properly. My biggest concern is lumbar support (or lack thereof). If it's moulded properly, I should be fine. If lacking, long trips'll kill me (yes, I'm over 40). Decisions, decisions...

As for the extinguisher, I think it falls under "better than the alternative". If I could blow a fire out by mouth or smother with a jacket, no problem. Anything bigger will require an extinguisher or the fire department (who, as it turns out, generally aren't standing around where and when you need them). I do miss the option of a good Halon extinguisher - one saved my car's bacon once in the '90s. Good tip about the smoker's package. Also another power point for accessories, I understand.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:43 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Thanks. My sales guy seems to think that I'll be okay (generally, some people always drop out, but who knows in this case).

I would dearly love to try the Sport Buckets before spec'ing them. However, the chance of finding the one local 918 owner is remote, never mind expecting him to let me sully his seats with my plebian posterior, is slim to none methinks. I'm skinny and of average height, so I'm pretty sure I'll fit properly. My biggest concern is lumbar support (or lack thereof). If it's moulded properly, I should be fine. If lacking, long trips'll kill me (yes, I'm over 40). Decisions, decisions...

As for the extinguisher, I think it falls under "better than the alternative". If I could blow a fire out by mouth or smother with a jacket, no problem. Anything bigger will require an extinguisher or the fire department (who, as it turns out, generally aren't standing around where and when you need them). I do miss the option of a good Halon extinguisher - one saved my car's bacon once in the '90s. Good tip about the smoker's package. Also another power point for accessories, I understand.
I think its just a cover but I may be wrong? also the GT3 offers these seats as well, so you may be able to find one at you dealer ...? BTW my Halon is only slightly bigger ( actually longer ) than the Porsche one ... Good luck
Old 02-08-2015, 10:12 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not questioning, you just curious ... Are you sure ...? Because most the dealers seem clueless and say they know nothing .. Thanks Ed PS 997RS 4.0 drool
You can't be sure about anything these days. 😉 I can guarantee that everyone that wants a gt4 will get one. The PTS option is a question mark? They had problems with miss matching panels/ aero that are made in different locations producing the 991gt3. Hopefully they can figure it out.

Quick Reply: Who has submitted a deposit for the 981 GT4?