Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

raced cayman

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:14 AM
dicky
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raced cayman

I just bought a 2014 cayman with 10,000 miles and an extended warrantee. Reading the warrantee info, I discovered the car I bought was used for a porsche driving school at a race track. The tires were replaced as well as the front brakes and sensors. I'm concerned that the car will be okay in the future!! Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Hence the extended warranty.

Last time I was there, the Cayman and Boxster models were used for autocross and skid pad exercises. No track use and certainly not raced.

Should be fine. It's one of the few that was actually used as designed.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately no way to know for sure. What's known is that it was beat to heck from the get-go (though perhaps not too badly since the majority of these PSDS types are newbs ).

So will that matter? Tough to say.... 9A1 engine has been excellent, though some - with a long history of alarming everyone within ear's reach - have been saying otherwise. "We shall see" (hasn't happened yet)

Last edited by the_vetman; 12-30-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:23 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So it was never disclosed that it was a Porsche driving school car pre-sale? I would not have bought it. I did the Alabama Porsche program and I certainly treated the car like a rental.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:14 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

DFI Cayman is bullet proof. Nothing to worry about.
They ran the Daytona 24 without warranty trouble free. And still going from what i hear...
Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm guessing it's PDK but, if it's a manual I would ask for a DME Report immediately and if anything past range 2 shows up I would ask for a refund, discount or somethin in writing saying the car will be covered under warranty if anything goes wrong with the engine / clutch.

Otherwise you really shouldn't have much to worry about.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
DFI Cayman is bullet proof. Nothing to worry about.
They ran the Daytona 24 without warranty trouble free. And still going from what i hear...
Well actually they had 3.8 swaps.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:49 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best thing you could do is sign up for a DE yourself so at least you can have some fun while you worry over nothing.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:09 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm guessing it's PDK but, if it's a manual I would ask for a DME Report immediately and if anything past range 2 shows up I would ask for a refund, discount or somethin in writing saying the car will be covered under warranty if anything goes wrong with the engine / clutch.

Otherwise you really shouldn't have much to worry about.
Per my dealer, Porsche will CPO cars with over-revs through range 4. If you don't have any 1-3 you really aren't having much fun.

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
The best thing you could do is sign up for a DE yourself so at least you can have some fun while you worry over nothing.
Amen. Ever since the early days, problematic Porsches have been the ones that sit in garages, being driven monthly at 30 MPH to the PCA meeting and back.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:21 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

Just keep the warranty going and you will be just fine. Is it PDK? if so, there's zero chance of over-rev. If it was a school car from Barber it has gone through pads, tires and fluids and is well worthy of the abuse as the track is smooth, very smooth. They really are great cars that the factory has sorted out thoroughly. I can't think of a bad thing to say about a stock current generation DFI Porsche that was born after 2009 with the latest and greatest Siemens engine management.

Quick Reply: raced cayman