Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techron and Direct Injection

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:03 AM
j patterson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Is that why Porsche changed their oil change recommendation to much shorter intervals with the DI engines than before? Are there any "better" oils or additive packages out for DI yet?

THAT is a really good question!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:32 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

And are they Porsche approved?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Billyhuf
Thanks for the advice and comments. It's not a daily driver but I usually put at least 3,000 miles a year on my weekend cars and always use Chevron. Just curious, why is the Techron best used right before an oil change? Billy
My understanding is Techron has both a liquid and vapor deposition phase and in some way this can add to the oil's contamination. This increases the dilution of the oil and brings with it deposits that will lead to an increase in acid formation in the oil.

Thus the recommendation to change the oil after using Techron as an additive or to use it just before an oil change.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

While it is true DFI engines do not have the injector in the port and thus there is no fuel spray that helps remove deposits from the back of the intake valves, Techron can still help to keep this area clean of deposits.

Under some engine operating conditions at some point combustion gases are allowed to enter the intake manifold. These gases contain Techron in a vapor form. This vapor contacts the cold intake valves and this vapor then works to help remove deposits from the valves.

While I have no experience with gasoline direct injection engines I ran a VW Golf TDi for around 140K miles. This engine of course has direct diesel fuel injection.

This engine was notorious for accumulating carbon/coke build up in the intake manifold to the point this was eventually get so bad as to prevent the engine from operating at any RPMs.

The build up arises from the routing of exhaust gases to the intake -- done on purpose to foul the incoming air and lower combustion temperature to reduce NoX. The problem is this exhaust gas is full of soot. Combine this soot with the crankcase ventilation fumes which are full of oil vapor from blowby and toss in some water vapor and the soot and oil and water vapor combine to make a muck that builds up and hardens and which can get so bad to actually block air flow into the engine.

What I did to avoid this build up was to use a good brand of diesel fuel (I tried some fuel additive but got tired of dealing with it and just stuck with a low sulphur diesel fuel), and I used a good oil (Mobil 1 0w-40) and changed it every 5K miles. The oil came out of the engine as black as the ace of Spades. I also avoided extremely low RPM engine operation. Many TDi owners liked to drive the car around at engine speeds scarcely above idle to of course conserve fuel.

While this is commendable it is under these low RPM conditions the build up occurs.

Without going overboard I kept the engine RPMs a bit higher and once in a while used the upper RPMs of the engine to around 4K.

I never had to clean the intake system and just before I sold the car I checked the intake manifold. While it was dirty coated with a layer of soot and oil there was no build up at all.

Were to buy a car with a DFI engine (and at some point I think I will) I think I would follow the same path. I would use a good oil and change it at reasonable intervals (5K miles seems reasonable to me), and avoid extremely low RPM operation.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by RDykmans
And are they Porsche approved?
Nothing I do is Porsche approved. If a car comes to me under warranty, it won't be wen it leaves...

Never cared about approvals, I have my own.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
While it is true DFI engines do not have the injector in the port and thus there is no fuel spray that helps remove deposits from the back of the intake valves, Techron can still help to keep this area clean of deposits.
The 9A1 engines in our late model Porsches [edit: do not] have both DI and port injection. Porsche's been a little tight lipped on specifics of when which injectors come into play, but it's become common for modern DI engines to use direct injection in conjunction with port injection to keep the valves clean. It's helped considerably to reduce the issues the early DI engines had.

Jake, my car's out of warranty, and I'm interested in your recommendations even if Porsche isn't

Last edited by sjfehr; 12-30-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Porsche has yet to adopt the phased injection systems that utilize conventional and direct injection.

I have a pair of 2014 engines apart on the bench now, all you'll find are direct injectors with either of them.

I believe they may go this way in the future, as the head castings will accept either style of injector.

But, we've already beat them to it. Again.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:22 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Porsche has yet to adopt the phased injection systems that utilize conventional and direct injection.

I have a pair of 2014 engines apart on the bench now, all you'll find are direct injectors with either of them.

I believe they may go this way in the future, as the head castings will accept either style of injector.

But, we've already beat them to it. Again.
The 2010 987.2 PET catalog is showing two different sets of injectors- one set part# 9A1-110-128-10 "High pressure injector" injecting into the block and fed from the high pressure pump (9A1-110-315-02/03), and another set 9A1-605-124-00 "injector valve" injecting into the intake manifold and fed from a fuel line that isn't labeled clearly but I thought was the low pressure fuel line. I haven't torn engines down so I have to take your word for it, but I thought this meant two sets of injectors- if that's not what this is showing, what's going on inside these engines?

e: oh dammit, I see what was screwing me up: Boxster uses one set and Boxster S uses the other.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:25 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
The 2010 987.2 PET catalog is showing two different sets of injectors- one set part# 9A1-110-128-10 "High pressure injector" injecting into the block and fed from the high pressure pump (9A1-110-315-02/03), and another set 9A1-605-124-00 "injector valve" injecting into the intake manifold and fed from a fuel line that isn't labeled clearly but I thought was the low pressure fuel line. I haven't torn engines down so I have to take your word for it, but I thought this meant two sets of injectors- if that's not what this is showing, what's going on inside these engines?
Some engines for base models don't have DFI at all. These use conventional injectors only. The PET will often confuse models as it jams all components into one set of illustrated parts breakdowns.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:50 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Techron Use

I found that Techron caused increased lead levels in my UOA on my Cayman 2.7L. Once I stopped using Techron and did several oil changes the lead levels returned to normal. The car gets Shell Vpower fuel now.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob VN
I found that Techron caused increased lead levels in my UOA on my Cayman 2.7L. Once I stopped using Techron and did several oil changes the lead levels returned to normal. The car gets Shell Vpower fuel now.
What were your lead levels before and after?

I've never detected high lead in my UOAs when using Techron.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-03-2015, 12:39 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

I run chevron in my car about 90% of the time and my last UOA showed lead at 0.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmm, I wonder why it would take several oil changes to lower the lead level in the oil. Should only take one, right?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Did you also run any race gas during this period of elevated lead readings?

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Quick Reply: Techron and Direct Injection