Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight reduction - 981 cayman

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 PM
boldstep
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How well does it work in terms of starting the car?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:42 PM
boldstep
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
There is a lot less to shed vs. the 987.2 When you start removing panels there's at least 1 less layer. The doors are a good starting point but they're not as heavy as those would think. The exhaust manifolds and mufflers are heavy AND they're in the rear so it's good weight to remove. Trim pieces and other parts for sound deadening and/or heat insulation can be removed but you don't want to go too far if it's street intended. I would assume you could do the following WITHOUT breaking the bank:

1.) lexan windshield
2.) lexan hatch
3.) lightweight wheels
4.) battery

Getting a bit more expensive...
5.) lightweight disc assemblies
6.) lightweight/aftermarket seats

While a bit more expensive...
7.) any number of OE replacement parts from Getty Design in So Cal for the 981 (hatches, decklids, doors, etc.)
8.) cutting of trim metal/aluminum from the car's peripheral/trim pieces.

The gutted PDK race car we just finished weighs 2800lbs with some gas in it and full aero, roll cage, etc. I think that a stripped 981 has potential to get awful close to 2700 or below.
How much do you think the lecan windshield and hatch save? Where do I buy them? why doesn't anybody talk about a carbon fiber hood for the 981?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:30 AM
westwest888
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by boldstep
How well does it work in terms of starting the car?
1400 cold cranking amps. It's a lot better than OEM. Instantaneous. Lead acid is like starting an engine with a hand crank, and is very inefficient to recharge which puts unnecessary strain on the alternator. Lithium ion draws only 1/5 the energy to fully recharge.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:28 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

and it's only $1549 !!! (haha)
Old 12-20-2014, 06:27 PM
westwest888
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
and it's only $1549 !!! (haha)
You can't make an NA motor more powerful, but you can do things like delete the AC (Boxster spyder) or effectively remove the burden of charging the battery (Boxster spyder). Losing 40 pounds is nice, also.

Or you can be the cheapest Porsche owner in the world and get batteries at Sears every 4 years, instead of this lifetime battery.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:22 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this a double duty street track or simple track car?
Headlights are about 20lbs after you add the blanks.
door side impact bars are abt 18 lbs each
cut away on the doors are a big plus as well.
Remove the higher weight and it will improve the center of gravity.
As John said
Lexan by itself isnt much of a savings on the windshield but hatch and teh rear glass is big.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:29 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
You can't make an NA motor more powerful, but you can do things like delete the AC (Boxster spyder) or effectively remove the burden of charging the battery (Boxster spyder). Losing 40 pounds is nice, also.

Or you can be the cheapest Porsche owner in the world and get batteries at Sears every 4 years, instead of this lifetime battery.
Bolt-ons will net you anywhere from 20 - 30 rwhp depending on whether or not you can ever tune the MAP in this car.

How much do you think the lecan windshield and hatch save? Where do I buy them? why doesn't anybody talk about a carbon fiber hood for the 981?
I listed Getty Designs for that very reason. Going to carbon produces greater weight savings in the rear. The 987 and 997s already had a hybrid composite front deck lid. The new 981 stuff is light but there are already Carbon Fiber replacements available.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 307 Posts

Do you happen to have the model number of that battery? Also did it work well in terms of starting the car?
AFAIK Porsche has only made one "Motorsport Battery", suncoast sells them. Ridiculously expensive (even used) but they do pop up occasionally on the B&S for $1200-1500. It's hard to believe how light this battery is. It has worked flawlessly for me but I do keep it on a tender when I'm not driving the car for a while. The tender is more to promote long battery life then worry about a marginal charge.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:27 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
Nice Battery, bit pricy... anything somewhere in the middle of price/weight equation?

Quick Reply: Weight reduction - 981 cayman