Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod/USB connection to CDR 24

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Beaky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod/USB connection to CDR 24

Hi folks,
Hope you can help.

My son recently acquired a 2005 987 3.2 S with the CDR 24 head unit with Bose sound.

He wants to be able to connect his Ipod and other USB or Bluetooth enabled music devises to this unit.

As far as our research has uncovered this is possible via the Dension or MoBridge units. We have also been informed that it maybe possible to also replace the CDR 24 with a later 911 997 PSM2/3 unit which had theses connections already enabled

Has any installed any of the above and/or can confirm these are the only option apart from an non OEM upgrade

Secondly is it possible to retrofit the multi function steering wheel?

Thanks in Advance
Old 10-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

i just installed a Transit Blu HF unit in my 2008 boxster. Bluetooth phone, music streaming. no cable to iPod or iPhone or android phone. There is a full write-up in the 997 forum on how to install it. $80 on eBay. I had the denison unit in my 997. works but you have to break into the MOST fiber optic line. If your handy, it can be a DIY. They are $500-ish
Old 10-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Beaky
Advanced

Interesting response and alternative option from the U.S.

"I recently bought a 2008 Boxster S with the CDR24. I'd also like to get ipod/bluetooth connectivity.

I also found the Dension unit option. It's pretty pricey for what it does.

I hadn't heard of retrofitting the other OEM stereo, but that sound like a possibility.

Another possibility, not a cheap one, but it's the one that I'd like to go with, is to get a packaged upgrade from Car Audio Innovations. Rod Birch has been doing Porsche stereo upgrades for a long time and is well known in the Porsche community.

Car Audio Innovations — Car Audio Innovations Porsche Audio Upgrades
Car Audio Innovations – 916-780-9450 | 212 Harding Blvd. Suite H Roseville, CA 95678 |

I'm not affiliated with them, and I've never purchased from them, but I have known lots of folks that have had good experience with them."
Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the Alpine RDS-1 - it works very well, and install is reversible if you ever want to remove it. You need to buy an antenna adapter from ebay. I think i got all the parts for just over $100. Amazon has the RDS1
You will need to change songs, etc. via ipod... but to me, that wasn't such a big deal.
The following users liked this post:
jchastn (04-13-2022)
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Beaky
Advanced

Nothing much more to report apart from confirmation of the above.

The cheapest and simplest is to hook up a Dension (Gateway 500) or MoBridge to the existing CDR 24 unit. You get limited control of the phone via the operating level for the on-board computer

Upgrade to a PCM 2.1 in conjunction with the Dension or MoBridge allows on screen access to your phones address book and dialing via the keyboard, etc.

Final option is a non OEM upgrade as detailed Car Audio Innovations for example - this option is around the same price as an PCM 2.1 plus Dension/MoBridge upgrade but technically better.

So no easy or cheap fix I'm afraid unless you go FM-modulator way :-(
Old 10-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Beaky
Advanced

I wonder if anyone can help

Do you have a PDF copy of the installation and/or wiring guide for the
Porsche CDR 24 unit.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2014, 05:43 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

If you aren't looking for Nav functionality, consider upgrading to CDR30 which has Bluetooth built in and has the option for Aux/MP3/USB input. Have one in the 2011 Boxster. The Bluetooth and Aux input work fine. There are certainly better aftermarket units but it is OEM and integrates with dash RDS.

I have wiring diagram for Boxster CDR 24 (USA) wiring diagram. It is not an internal schematic of the CDR just the Porsche wiring circuit. Not sure it will work for you but PM me and I'll send it.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Beaky
Advanced

It would appear that both the Alpine and Transit Blu HF use the original radio aerial as the input connection for sound, so analogue not digital sound as no optical other digital input.

I have acquired a used Dension gateway 500 (with bluetooth) and PCM 2.1 for £700 all in, will be fitting and reporting back on this shortly
Old 11-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

The Dension Gateway 500 will give direct-to-the-loop iPod, USB and Aux. You cannot integrate Bluetooth directly to the CDR, but there are other aftermarket standalone products that can give you some BT function, though not direct to the fiber optic loop. Tranzit is an option, but it's fm modulation to the car, not direct digital through the loop like the Dension.

'Breaking into the loop' is really nothing major. It's not tearing up the fiber cables or cutting wires. All you do is remove the optical connection at the CDR, plug that end into the Dension, add one supplied fiber optic cable from Dension right back to the CDR, and that's it.

Then install behind the radio, run the iPod cable to the glove box (and USB/AUX too), and if no cd changer, get it programmed.

We supply extensive installation details for our customers as well (Dension primary distributor).

Email with any questions: info@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Ipod/USB connection to CDR 24