Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 "Black Edition" Boxster GTS Available

Old 09-20-2014, 08:32 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

not a bad looking boxster!
Old 09-20-2014, 10:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
Its funny but when I order manual cars for stock they sit here for ever and we end up discounting them to move them....I prefer the stick myself but I also need to have someone actually buy the car who 90% off the time wants an automatic.....
Not surprised by this at all. The same reason dealers don't like sport bucket seats. If you cater to an enthusiast, you'll get stuck holding the bag. The buyer pool shrinks significantly with manual. Manuals will become extinct in the next few years. It's a miracle that Porsche can still make great sports cars that enthusiasts love while still catering to the masses.

Nice build , as usual,Brett!
Old 09-20-2014, 11:02 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 298 Posts

Its funny but when I order manual cars for stock they sit here for ever and we end up discounting them to move them....I prefer the stick myself but I also need to have someone actually buy the car who 90% off the time wants an automatic.....
Laguna + PDK + sport+ = big grin on my face!

Now if I could just learn to brake with my left foot . . . . .
Old 09-20-2014, 11:19 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Looks nice, but not so sure about a $90k Boxster with PDK. Would have gone with red stitching and carbon (instead of black) accents. I'd still much prefer a yellow, base, manual + sport suspension @ $50k+, but looks like this is becoming a minority opinion. There's only one manual boxster (out of 10) in your new car inventory. 10% seems to be about right.

The manual fans are getting older. As their legs and knees give up, even they switch to PDK eventually.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Not surprised by this at all. The same reason dealers don't like sport bucket seats. If you cater to an enthusiast, you'll get stuck holding the bag. The buyer pool shrinks significantly with manual. Manuals will become extinct in the next few years. It's a miracle that Porsche can still make great sports cars that enthusiasts love while still catering to the masses.

Nice build , as usual,Brett!
Very true Joe. Thanks for the kind words on the build fella's and if anyone wants to stop by to take a peek.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Don't be mad, but why would you pay the obscene amount of money to paint the black lower mirror trim on a black car, but not order a reversing camera with the parking sensors? If any car ever needed a back up camera, it's the Boxster. I couldn't see anything backing up with the top up in mine and it was one of the reasons I traded it in.
The car looks great!
Old 09-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

It's important to have at least one manual car available for test drives, though, don't you think? I had no intention of ordering my 981BS with PDK, so my test drive had to be in a manual. If the dealer hadn't had a manual 981BS available, he would have lost the sale.

Yes, I ended up ordering a PDK car, but there was no way that was going to happen until I'd tried both.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:04 AM
Arione
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

sad how few new porsches come with a standard
Old 09-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Here's my advice to Porsche dealers who want to cater to enthusiasts or at least have a more focused approach. When a specialty car like the GTS (or Spyder/Cayman R) come up for sale and you have allocations let your enthusiast customers know about it. They spread the word and the customer gets to order the car the way they want (MT for example). I helped two buyers order Spyders to their spec and I was also assisted by a member when looking to buy my Spyder. All three were ordered with MT and Sport Buckets, opposite of what dealers were putting on their lots.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Noobies
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 1st flaw in statements made by a few people above is that you guys are assuming that being an enthusiast automatically means wanting a MT. I see no logic in that generalization other than people's personal biased opinions being dictated on the bigger community. You can very well be an enthusiast and love automatic or be an enthusiast and love MT. There is no hard and fast rule about what makes someone an enthusiast and its a personal choice.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Noobies
I think the 1st flaw in statements made by a few people above is that you guys are assuming that being an enthusiast automatically means wanting a MT. I see no logic in that generalization other than people's personal biased opinions being dictated on the bigger community. You can very well be an enthusiast and love automatic or be an enthusiast and love MT. There is no hard and fast rule about what makes someone an enthusiast and its a personal choice.
That's because everyone who buys a Porsche thinks they are a enthusiast. This is technically true since these aren't everyday passenger cars and you must like sports cars to buy one.

There is a WIDE spectrum of enthusiasts, and which one is considered the TRUE enthusiast ultimately lies in the eye of the beholder.

Some people think a car is great if it's loaded with options. Others find a 'loaded' car undesirable. Point is, most Porsche buyers don't want a manual. You can spin that fact any way you want to suit whatever enthusiast group you belong in.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:17 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noobies
True. I bought a 2014 Boxster S manual as I wanted it for the fun of casual driving top down in the sun. I raced the Canadian Cup Challenge this year in a 991 cup so I guess I can be an "enthusiast", but most racers in the Series were amazed I didn't take the PDK !
Old 10-03-2014, 10:57 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

That thing is sexy...I love all black cars but swore I would never own another because I felt the need to wax it, every time i washed it. That's a gorgeous build. Someone is going to be happy.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
That thing is sexy...I love all black cars but swore I would never own another because I felt the need to wax it, every time i washed it. That's a gorgeous build. Someone is going to be happy.
Thanks! If anyone wants to stop by the new store and take a peek let me know guys!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:10 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The power of advertising is beautiful.

After computer driven gearboxes, the next step is :

(Sure, you will still be able to order "it" as a "black edition" !)

But then, good bye Porsche. No more "sport" will be associated on road cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 "Black Edition" Boxster GTS Available