Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Rear Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd start worrying about things further up the drivetrain if your right foot is the nature of the tire destruction you show here.

PS " a little bent" wheel is for Ford Mavericks, there is no "little bent" with a Porsche and you may have two bent and not know it. If someone spun it before you got it there will be bent suspension components and multiple bent wheels. A Porsche owner who puts coopers on his car is not a careful conservator.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:43 AM
rennlistuser3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

My techs tell me when I ask them about replacing the shocks on my Boxster (now with 280K miles) that if the shocks aren't leaking or showing signs of trouble and the car doesn't pogo or porpoise when it encounters a dip or crest in the road to leave the shocks alone.

Thanks a million for this piece of advice! very valuable bit of information. As it stand my Boxster is honestly rock solid over bumps. Heck, it's even tighter on bumps than other cars I've driven that were brand new! I'm aware of "pogo & Porpoise", I've had a nasty experience with one car like that.

As it is, considering how good the suspension on my car feels, I think I won't touch it. I will double check the alignment though.

And wow on that 280k Boxster! I should really listen to your advice. I sure hope my car sees that number. I'm really starting to fall for it.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:52 AM
rennlistuser3
Advanced

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I'd start worrying about things further up the drivetrain if your right foot is the nature of the tire destruction you show here.

PS " a little bent" wheel is for Ford Mavericks, there is no "little bent" with a Porsche and you may have two bent and not know it. If someone spun it before you got it there will be bent suspension components and multiple bent wheels. A Porsche owner who puts coopers on his car is not a careful conservator.
Thanks for your concern. The drive-train should be fine. I've driven previous cars with much higher mileage and much much harder and aggressive driving than I've driven the Porsche so far and I've never experienced a drive-train failure. These cars do not have the pedigree and reputation of the Porsche so I would be downright shocked if it were that easy to damage a Porsche. That sure wouldn't be the reputation I've heard of it from others. It would also certainly put a dent in my respect for the brand name. If I wanted a fragile high performance vehicle I would buy a *peep*.

P.S. "little bent" is the word of the Firestone mechanic who replaced the tires. I would call it "little bent" as well when he showed me how it looks perfect yet it vibrates when rotated. And thanks for your concern over my other wheels but the mechanic assured me the other wheels were a piece of cake to install and balance unlike that single rear right one. This isn't a huge worry. A replacement wheel is about 200$ (cheaper than the new tire I installed on it). But overall thanks for your concern. Much appreciated.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:06 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars do not have the pedigree and reputation of the Porsche so I would be downright shocked if it were that easy to damage a Porsche.

You might end up being shocked then, if you dump the clutch on a Porsche and rag the hell out of it I would be more shocked if you didn't have a failure of magnitude. At the end of the day its your car and as such you should enjoy it the way you wish.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 AM
rennlistuser3
Advanced

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
These cars do not have the pedigree and reputation of the Porsche so I would be downright shocked if it were that easy to damage a Porsche.

You might end up being shocked then, if you dump the clutch on a Porsche and rag the hell out of it I would be more shocked if you didn't have a failure of magnitude. At the end of the day its your car and as such you should enjoy it the way you wish.
I never dumped the clutch nor do I ever plan to. Yes that would damage the drive-train, if sending that much power suddenly to very fat and sticky rear tires. I do have mechanical empathy and I do know how to drive a car. As I said before, I've had multiple previous cars and never experienced drive-train or any other major failure on any of them.

The way I slide as I explain previously is to turn it in sharper than I need it to and then put some extra power when already in 1st gear and rolled. The car does slide a bit but this is nowhere near the kinds of mechanical strains that are put on a Porsche on a regular bases on track days with heavy breaking and heavy corner exist acceleration.

Again if I wanted to buy a garage queen I would have bought say a Jaguar E-Type or something. I'm not going to buy a driver's car and then drive it like it's a Camry. That just doesn't make any sense.

Quick Reply: Horrible Rear Tire Wear