Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New titanium bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:04 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New titanium bolts

Love them!
Attached Images    
Old 06-16-2014, 03:58 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

Where did you get them from? Minds sharing? Cost? Why did you change them out?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

They look great but are they of any value?

30 grams (which is the weight saved per bolt) is just over 1 ounce. So that's 5 ounces per wheel, which is about 1/3 pound. Meanwhile the wheel and tire weigh more than 40 pounds.

??? Am I missing something?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
They look great but are they of any value? 30 grams (which is the weight saved per bolt) is just over 1 ounce. So that's 5 ounces per wheel, which is about 1/3 pound. Meanwhile the wheel and tire weigh more than 40 pounds. ??? Am I missing something?
You answered your own question. They look great. That's the main value.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Appearance only, weight is negligible as noted. And they definitely do look good.

I would be curious to know if brake dust build up between the lug and the wheel is reduced with the gap being so much smaller. Or alternatively is the gap so small you can't really tell its dirty and thus don't need to clean it?

Last edited by Marine Blue; 06-17-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:00 AM
berndt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you lubricate the threads!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought really expensive Italian titanium units and although I'm not sure I'd do it again they look awesome and likely will for years without all the refinishing needed on the factory units.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:23 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the Titanium bolts are not Porsche approved for your Porsche, then I would take them off.
Bolting material is quite critical with regards to material, testing, manufacturing and quality control and assurance.
Just because some source sells Titanium bolts does not mean they are sufficient for your Porsche.
Bolting in the USA is to a standard and so it will be in Germany.
I would be interested in the manufacturer and pedigree of your Titanium bolts.-Richard
Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

but they are dyno tested and add 2.5 hp
Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budrichard
If the Titanium bolts are not Porsche approved for your Porsche, then I would take them off.
Bolting material is quite critical with regards to material, testing, manufacturing and quality control and assurance.
Just because some source sells Titanium bolts does not mean they are sufficient for your Porsche.
Bolting in the USA is to a standard and so it will be in Germany.
I would be interested in the manufacturer and pedigree of your Titanium bolts.-Richard
You're funny... I have 4 masters in various Engineering disciplines... Do you think that I have a clue? This purely cosmetic. These bolts will never see track duty and are over specified by a factor of 3 at least. On my 991 Porsche figured out that ****ty rusting bolts needed to be replaced by what I assume is PVD bolts. On the Spyder, I replaced them with these...
Old 06-25-2014, 06:40 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by extanker
but they are dyno tested and add 2.5 hp
Old 06-25-2014, 08:04 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"You're funny... I have 4 masters in various Engineering disciplines... Do you think that I have a clue? This purely cosmetic. These bolts will never see track duty and are over specified by a factor of 3 at least. On my 991 Porsche figured out that ****ty rusting bolts needed to be replaced by what I assume is PVD bolts. On the Spyder, I replaced them with these..."

Not a clue!
I don't think you want to compare Engineering credentials and experience, you will lose.
Bolting isn't just Track related but is as important on the Road as on the Track.
From, my G Meter, I pull 1.05G on and off Track. Top speed will probably have little effect on stress as the bolt is essentially just holding the wheel on and the only difference is radial force. Cosmetics is not a reason to change material. Proper maiintenance will keep your bolting clean.
I asked for the manufacturere and pedigree or what one would call in the Quality Assurance World, tracebility to a standard for design and material tracebility.
None of which you have provided.
I'm sure Porsche does not treat it's bolting as a casual product but has very specific criteria for both material and manufacturing. I don't think Porsche OEM bolts come from China either, a continuing source of substandard bolting.
Have you contacted Porsche Germany and queried the use of Titanium bolting?
If you have not contacted Porsche and have no approval, I would not use the bolting.-Richard
Old 06-25-2014, 09:28 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ya,ll spend too much time and money rubbin/polishin yer NUTS..........n.......bolts
Old 06-25-2014, 11:26 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budrichard
"You're funny... I have 4 masters in various Engineering disciplines... Do you think that I have a clue? This purely cosmetic. These bolts will never see track duty and are over specified by a factor of 3 at least. On my 991 Porsche figured out that ****ty rusting bolts needed to be replaced by what I assume is PVD bolts. On the Spyder, I replaced them with these..."

Not a clue!
I don't think you want to compare Engineering credentials and experience, you will lose.
Bolting isn't just Track related but is as important on the Road as on the Track.
From, my G Meter, I pull 1.05G on and off Track. Top speed will probably have little effect on stress as the bolt is essentially just holding the wheel on and the only difference is radial force. Cosmetics is not a reason to change material. Proper maiintenance will keep your bolting clean.
I asked for the manufacturere and pedigree or what one would call in the Quality Assurance World, tracebility to a standard for design and material tracebility.
None of which you have provided.
I'm sure Porsche does not treat it's bolting as a casual product but has very specific criteria for both material and manufacturing. I don't think Porsche OEM bolts come from China either, a continuing source of substandard bolting.
Have you contacted Porsche Germany and queried the use of Titanium bolting?
If you have not contacted Porsche and have no approval, I would not use the bolting.-Richard
You're too good, I give up

Quick Reply: New titanium bolts