Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking inexpensive spare solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:20 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Seeking inexpensive spare solution

I am seeking an inexpensive spare wheel/tire solution for my 981 Boxster S that I can take on long trips to relatively remote places.

Do spares from earlier Boxsters fit over the 981 S calipers? Bolt pattern the same?

Does anyone have any good ideas for this, short of buying a $1200 dollar kit from say Suncoast?
Old 05-28-2014, 11:43 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2013 Boxster. I ordered and received a first generation spare. It does not fit due to shallow offset. Be careful what you get and verify the offset. I do not know the correct number. Also you will need a jack, etc. for it. I share your concerns! I saw where Suncoast ? offers a complete spare package for +- $1900. I paid about $100 BUT it does not work. :-(
Old 05-29-2014, 10:10 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I have a 2013 Boxster. I ordered and received a first generation spare. It does not fit due to shallow offset. Be careful what you get and verify the offset. I do not know the correct number. Also you will need a jack, etc. for it. I share your concerns! I saw where Suncoast ? offers a complete spare package for +- $1900. I paid about $100 BUT it does not work. :-(
Thanks for the heads up on the first gen spare. I don't really trust the fix-a-flat-goo they give you or tire plugs, but it may just come down to that and or a lot of wasted time waiting for the flatbed to wherever. I have a light weight racing jack or I suppose I could get a smaller scissor jack for trips but the real issue is where to put the 20 " damaged tire/wheel for the drive to the tire center even if I had a suitable spare. It seems like it will fit in the passenger seat (in a bag) so I guess I will have to leave the wife by the side of the road or not take her on long trips.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:20 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meteor10
Thanks for the heads up on the first gen spare. I don't really trust the fix-a-flat-goo they give you or tire plugs, but it may just come down to that and or a lot of wasted time waiting for the flatbed to wherever. I have a light weight racing jack or I suppose I could get a smaller scissor jack for trips but the real issue is where to put the 20 " damaged tire/wheel for the drive to the tire center even if I had a suitable spare. It seems like it will fit in the passenger seat (in a bag) so I guess I will have to leave the wife by the side of the road or not take her on long trips.
I have no idea about the spare, but would a deflated 20" wheel fit in the frunk?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 PM
NCDan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put Ride-On in all my tires in hopes that it might save me. You might check-out Ride-On on the web. It worked well in my motorcycle saving me once.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:35 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 496 Posts

I had a flat Tuesday (right rear) and tried Slime (bought from Amazon based on recommendations I read here). It did NOT work, as the piece of metal that went into tire must have left too big a hole. Thank God for Porsche Roadside Assistance and Porsche Asheville (NC), although it took 2-days to get it back on the road.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
I had a flat Tuesday (right rear) and tried Slime (bought from Amazon based on recommendations I read here). It did NOT work, as the piece of metal that went into tire must have left too big a hole. Thank God for Porsche Roadside Assistance and Porsche Asheville (NC), although it took 2-days to get it back on the road.
Heading out on a week long road trip today armed with a bottle of Slime (TPMS safe) and a plug kit as well as stock Porsche sealant. Sorry to hear Slime did not work, hope I don't need any of it.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

A vulcanized tire plug kit and a fully charged cell phone are about your 2 best/cheapest friends. A good set of needle nose pliers (to pull out a nail or such) and a razor blade (to neatly trim the plug) help with the plug kit.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:52 PM
NCDan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ride-On is Nothing like the old Slime! Check it out on the web. Ride-On is great in everything from my Porsche to my BMW motorcycle. Amazing stuff. My wife and I have been using it for Years in all our cars/trucks/motorcycles.

Quick Reply: Seeking inexpensive spare solution